Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NYC hotel near the Met?

busyparentbusyparent Registered User Posts: 1,021 Senior Member
Any suggestions for a hotel this weekend near the Met or Central Park?
Thx

Replies to: NYC hotel near the Met?

• LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,493 Senior Member
    One Hotel? Boutique hotel near Central Park. Expensive, but not as bad as some.
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 7,060 Senior Member
    Hotel Elysee on E 54th - D and I stayed there last year and it was very pleasant. Very clean, quiet, nice people. They have a lounge where breakfast (included with your stay) is served - also wine in the evening. It was very close to MoMA, very walkable.
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 4,092 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Warwick Hotel - 54th and 6th. Not that close to the Met, but half a block from MOMA and pretty centrally located. It's about a mile and a half stroll through Central Park to get to the Met.

https://warwickhotels.com/new-york/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=seo

New York Hilton is also right across the street (from Warwick).

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-york/new-york-hilton-midtown-NYCNHHH/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-HI-NYCNHHH

Or, for a few hundred dollars more, The Hotel Plaza Athenee (64th between Madison and Park) - very elegant, but more expensive.

https://www.plaza-athenee.com/
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 4,190 Senior Member
    Hotel Wales on Madison/92nd
  • busyparentbusyparent Registered User Posts: 1,021 Senior Member
    Gosh, so many are completely booked.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,061 Senior Member
    @busyparent yes...this is a busy time of the year in NYC, and many folks made reservations months ago.

You may find you have to go further out than “near the Met”.
    Yes, so I am realizing!
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 Registered User Posts: 4,168 Senior Member
    There is a Hilton Garden Inn off Broadway at 54th. I have walked that far to the Met and it wasn’t bad if weather not bad. Or cab/Uber it. A Fairfield Inn at 57th and 10th. All are expensive since it is New Years weekend.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,398 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    New Year’s Eve is this weekend, pretty much everything will be booked and/or super expensive in midtown Manhattan. If you know the area well and have no issues taking non-car public transportation I would suggest looking at Jersey City or Brooklyn, lots of decent hotels there. There might also be some decent places in lower Manhattan that might be had as well.
    Found a Hampton that will work but very expensive as stated. Thanks for the suggestions, I checked them all out
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,504 Forum Champion
    Enjoy your visit!
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,673 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    We made a last minute trip to the city the week before Christmas. Stayed at one of the Pod Hotels... Pod 39. I was expecting very little, given how most places were booked up... but I was really impressed! Small, adorable, functional rooms with shower, no tub... but they even had a desk... for a "pod", we didn't feel nearly as cramped as I expected! It was really clean, had a cute bar off the lobby... and on a nice residential street a couple of blocks from Grand Central. We liked everything about it, but the best part was the price... an incredible $69 per night! With all the taxes and fees added in, it came to $95/night. I want to go back and stay at the others (on 51 St, Times Square, and in Brooklyn). What a hidden gem! I don't know why I'd never heard of them before! Yesterday, there were still a few rooms for New Years Eve.... (PS: I am a former travel writer, and have stayed at all kinds of hotels. My D, who was with me, is a bit fussier about accommodations, but she really liked it too. When I made the reservation, I thought it seemed too good to be true... but it was really a perfectly delightful place. You can't beat it for location and price!)
  • conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    I also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on 54th. It’s not a bad walk to the Met and they have a decent complimentary breakfast.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 23,005 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    One of my favorite hotels up that way is the Surrey Hotel. It is not too big and the service is great. When I worked abroad, I would stay there there even though my office was in midtown. It's a quick ride via 65th/66th st across the park.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,676 Senior Member
    cameo43 I have stayed in similar hotels...one I liked very much and one that felt like a prison cell because the ceiling were super tall and the room super narrow and the windows were way up high on the brick walls, like at least 4 feet above our heads. The bathrooms were great and the bar handy, but that room! I would never do one of those "city" pod/flat type hotels without knowing exactly what the room looked like.