Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

Replies to: Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

• swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 16,154 Senior Member
    When we redo our 2nd bathroom we will have a shower curtain with a curved rod. I like to take baths sometimes and showers others and I absolutely hate the door when I take a bath.

With the stand alone shower in the master it would be different.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,956 Senior Member
    For possible sale, especially to families with young children, a bath with curtain rather than sliding door, would be preferable for access to little kids in bath seats etc. A sliding door limits your ability to access part of the tub, a worrisome prospect when there are little ones in a bath chair or sliding around in there by themselves.

For older kids, who shower and then don't pull the curtain close to the wall so that water seeps into the surrounding area (like my family), a sliding door would be preferable.

With re-sale on the horizon, I'd do curtain and rod, so that families with young children see it as do-able.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 3,893 Senior Member
    Frameless door. It's easy to keep clean and there is no annoying track to gunk up. But you will need to squeegee after showering to keep it clear of water marks, something many kids like to do. And there are some adults who don't have the sense to keep the curtain liner IN the tub (we have friends who own a B&B and they've told us horror stories), so this might be a bigger deal for kids. Curtains also get dirty and will eventually mold enough to need replacing (the labels totally lie!) I think it will help you sell your home if you have a clean, streamlined door rather than a curtain, which can look cheap or dated.

If you're worried about space, there are frameless sliding doors.
  • CTmom2018CTmom2018 Registered User Posts: 793 Member
    Our house came with one bathroom, in the hall, with a tub/shower combo with a sliding glass door. I always hated that door. It made it hard to bathe our daughter when she was small. The track collected grime and hair and was a nuisance to clean. I would have preferred a curtain and rod -- which is what we put in when we redid the bathroom a few years ago.
  • tx5athometx5athome Registered User Posts: 3,834 Senior Member
    I vote for glass slider. We recently remodeled our guest bath and the new slider is gorgeous. For us the bathroom is small so it makes it look bigger and you can see the gorgeous tile we put in.
  • JoblueJoblue Registered User Posts: 1,306 Senior Member
    We recently remodeled the hall bath with the tub/shower combo and I never had a second thought about using a shower curtain and rod. Every single place I've ever lived that had the sliding glass door caused me endless aggravation in trying to keep the channels in which the doors slide clean, not to mention what a royal pita it is to clean a bathtub with a door. I think they are dated and tacky.
  • tx5athometx5athome Registered User Posts: 3,834 Senior Member
    I am not sure if they are all this way, but my sliding door doesn’t have channel. I am not exactly sure how to explain it but it is flat with a lip on the outside.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    I would do the rod/curtain if you are planning to sell. It's easy for someone else to install a glass door if they want it.
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Registered User Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Perhaps TMI, but when renting out a house with the sliding glass door on the tub, a lesbian couple stated they needed it removed, as they are in the tub together a great deal and the door would be in the way. They didn't take the place, but the comment was memorable. Regardless, the doors tend to build up soap scum, though are gorgeous when clean. With shower curtains, I get white ones and bleach out the soap deposits and signs of dirt every few months.
  • GourmetmomGourmetmom Registered User Posts: 2,820 Senior Member
    Maybe the larger question is about shower/tub combos. I hate them. When I built my house a long time ago, I put a large free standing tub in the master bathroom, then showers with a frameless glass door in the other bathrooms.

It's a Hobson's choice, but I guess a shower curtain is better with the tub since it can easily be replaced once it gets cruddy.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,997 Senior Member
    I would do rod and curtain. I buy the mildew free lining and replace it every few months. I use hotel white curtain on the outside. I always have the lining inside the tub and curtain outside, so my guests could just pull it. I do not like glass with a tub because it feels too confined. The half glass is nice looking, but not very practical. In my master bath I just have a shower.and it has a glass door.
  • adlgeladlgel Registered User Posts: 793 Member
    On additional benefit of the curtain/rod combo over the glass door is that it allows for siblings to use the bathroom while one is in the shower. E.g., my son can be in the shower and my daughter can go in (once he's in the shower) to brush her teeth or put in her contacts. if the shower had a glass door she'd have to wait until he's done his shower to be able to do that.
  • oscar63oscar63 Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    Prefer rod with curtain
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,877 Senior Member
    Rod with curtain, hands down. I hate cleaning the shower with door. It also is an easy way to change the look of the bathroom with a new curtain if you or a new owner wants to.
  • rhododendronrhododendron Registered User Posts: 320 Member
    A bath remodel is on my to-do list. I had been considering glass, but now realize that a shower curtain is the right choice. It has the only bathtub in the house. I was swayed by the comments about bathing kids and the closed in feeling when soaking in the tub.

Thanks, all, for answering a question I didn't know I had.