right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

Replies to: Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

• JoblueJoblue 1331 replies24 threads Senior Member
    We recently remodeled the hall bath with the tub/shower combo and I never had a second thought about using a shower curtain and rod. Every single place I've ever lived that had the sliding glass door caused me endless aggravation in trying to keep the channels in which the doors slide clean, not to mention what a royal pita it is to clean a bathtub with a door. I think they are dated and tacky.
    · Reply · Share
  • tx5athometx5athome 3988 replies5 threads Senior Member
    I am not sure if they are all this way, but my sliding door doesn’t have channel. I am not exactly sure how to explain it but it is flat with a lip on the outside.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9813 replies110 threads Senior Member
    I would do the rod/curtain if you are planning to sell. It's easy for someone else to install a glass door if they want it.
    · Reply · Share
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom 3055 replies28 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Perhaps TMI, but when renting out a house with the sliding glass door on the tub, a lesbian couple stated they needed it removed, as they are in the tub together a great deal and the door would be in the way. They didn't take the place, but the comment was memorable. Regardless, the doors tend to build up soap scum, though are gorgeous when clean. With shower curtains, I get white ones and bleach out the soap deposits and signs of dirt every few months.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • GourmetmomGourmetmom 2862 replies50 threads Senior Member
    Maybe the larger question is about shower/tub combos. I hate them. When I built my house a long time ago, I put a large free standing tub in the master bathroom, then showers with a frameless glass door in the other bathrooms.

It's a Hobson's choice, but I guess a shower curtain is better with the tub since it can easily be replaced once it gets cruddy.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 23342 replies307 threads Senior Member
    I would do rod and curtain. I buy the mildew free lining and replace it every few months. I use hotel white curtain on the outside. I always have the lining inside the tub and curtain outside, so my guests could just pull it. I do not like glass with a tub because it feels too confined. The half glass is nice looking, but not very practical. In my master bath I just have a shower.and it has a glass door.
    · Reply · Share
  • adlgeladlgel 829 replies34 threads Member
    On additional benefit of the curtain/rod combo over the glass door is that it allows for siblings to use the bathroom while one is in the shower. E.g., my son can be in the shower and my daughter can go in (once he's in the shower) to brush her teeth or put in her contacts. if the shower had a glass door she'd have to wait until he's done his shower to be able to do that.
    · Reply · Share
  • oscar63oscar63 368 replies4 threads Member
    Prefer rod with curtain
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    Rod with curtain, hands down. I hate cleaning the shower with door. It also is an easy way to change the look of the bathroom with a new curtain if you or a new owner wants to.
    · Reply · Share
  • rhododendronrhododendron 393 replies19 threads Member
    A bath remodel is on my to-do list. I had been considering glass, but now realize that a shower curtain is the right choice. It has the only bathtub in the house. I was swayed by the comments about bathing kids and the closed in feeling when soaking in the tub.

Thanks, all, for answering a question I didn't know I had.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3780 replies231 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    We have a triple glass sliding door on our tub. It was the compromise to having a door and bathing a baby in the tub. With the door open 2/3 of the way easy to get in and out etc. It is not frameless and I have the crud problem mentioned above (also my water is very hard and has done a real number on all of the metal parts - handles etc.) I don't see that any solution is perfect. I hated the shower curtains we had before - the tops tearing and the bottoms getting dirty etc. I was replacing it often.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14374 replies65 threads Senior Member
    Curtain! That's what we have in our hall bath and had at houses with son when he was young. Being able to reach over the tub and take care of kids is important. H's relatives have the door- I hate it when we are there. It would make cleaning the tub harder as well- I can easily reach all corners with no hitting sharp edges. Visiting elderly M in law has no trouble with our vinyl inside and cloth outside curtain. Visiting son managed to pull down the tension rod- got in tight again. I never know which side of the door is to be slid to which end.

Yes, a plain shower and a tub are best- but given space needs it is much better to have the tub shower combo than to give up either one. Resale to families means having a tub. One in a master bath does not count, especially larger/deeper tubs with possibly a step et al. I once had two preschoolers (son and his cousin) in our corner tub- difficult to reach to help with hair.

There are many good looking outer shower curtains to choose from (when son was small had a colorful plastic one). Nicer looking than glass doors. I dislike any clear glass- there is no way I will squeegee. Frosted glass looks boring as well while you have a decorative design with a curtain.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    I'd way rather buy a fairly study liner curtain and wash it in my washing machine a few times a year with vinegar and baking soda, and replace it every couple of years, than deal with the shower door cleaning. My apartment has one of each type now (shower I use daily has glass doors, other bathroom has a curtain, which is also what I had in house previously). That shower door is the biggest pain, and I have to wipe it down after every use with a small towel to keep it from getting scummy/cloudy. And stand in the tub in stocking feet to actually wash it. Ugh. Worst chore.
    · Reply · Share
  • Leigh22Leigh22 948 replies9 threads Member
    We have a beautiful glass enclosure...which is almost impossible to keep clean. For a hall bath I’d do the rod and curtain. We never had an issue with water damage - kids can manage.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33084 replies160 threads Senior Member
    Another vote for a shower curtain. It's too hard to clean the tub with a door, and it makes getting in and out in a tight bathroom (which ours is) much more difficult. If you are worried about messy kids, extend the wall tile further out from the shower and put in a floor drain. That is what I'd do if I had a do-over.
    · Reply · Share
  • mominvamominva 3145 replies36 threads Senior Member
    When we remodeled the second bath, we found a double rod - decorative curtain on outer rod, fabric liner on inner rod. either could be removed easily for cleaning or seasonal decor. Since that tub/shower was only used for guests, I often left the liner off until company was expected.
    · Reply · Share
  • gunnerzgunnerz 292 replies44 threads Member
    Our master bath had sliding glass doors. We renovated it a couple of months ago and wanted to change the shower to an opening door. Our contractor said there wasn't enough room, so we replaced the old sliding door with a frameless sliding glass door.

Available space could determine whether you can get/use a door or shower curtain, or sliding glass door.
    · Reply · Share
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom 5858 replies105 threads Senior Member
    If you get a nylon fabric shower curtain, you don’t need a waterproof liner. Place it inside the tub when showering. It dries easily and only needs to be thrown in the wash every few months.
    · Reply · Share
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 4330 replies82 threads Senior Member
    We were just considering this ourselves. I like the look of the glass sliding doors on the tub but looking at something like this without the metal part on the tub. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Classic-400-Curve-60-in-x-62-in-Frameless-Sliding-Tub-Door-in-Stainless-B55910-6030-SS/205738568 to make the small room seem bigger. All the pro-curtain comments are good points though.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity