right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

13»

Replies to: Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

• thumper1thumper1 74784 replies3278 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would not spend over $500 plus installation for a door in a bathroom that I never intended to use...for a house I planned to sell. I would let the new owners get a door IF they want one.

The OP says no one will be using this bathroom except guest. Can’t imagine the nice shower curtain or walls will get damaged with this very occasional use.
    · Reply · Share
  • Beil1958Beil1958 599 replies94 threadsRegistered User Member
    Agree the curtain/rod is the best option in this case.

I'd be surprised if you'd recoup the shower door cost in re-sale or that it, alone, would make a difference in the sale of the home. Whereas, the presumably low cost of updating--tile, vanity, maybe even new plumbing fixtures. (depending on the condition of existing)--would probably be money well-spent.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34315 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Decades ago, when we sold H’s investment townhouse, we bought two lovely nylon shower curtains and matching hand towels and decorative soaps to help make the place more attractive and inviting.

The place sold at the 1st showing!

We still have the nylon shower curtains, which are great for picnics either as a lightweight mat to sit on or tablecloth, or to cover things in the car.

I’d also vote for a tension shower rod with nice curtains.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38898 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    That HD curved glass enclosure looks nice but it also has gaskets on the bottom... that is where the scum will collect. :) Plus it requires the $300 curved tub and new tile or solid wall panels... We are looking at close to $1500-$2000 here if professionally installed.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14059 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Who wants to view the insides- tub/shower head? Much less feel compelled to clean a glass door. Certainly guests should never take hints to do the deed. The view of a closed curtain can be delightful. We have a tub that spans the width of the hall bath, with a high window. We keep the curtain(s) pulled to the side to let in light at the end of the hall and it hides the showerhead. In previous houses with tub on side/inner wall we left the curtain closed- a decorative touch. Something to look at while on the throne.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13431 replies110 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We pulled the shower door in the bathroom our guys used. Gross, gross, gross. Installed a tension rod with vinyl liner and a curtain that I made to coordinate with the tile mirror I made. Also changed out the original vanity and sink fixtures. We still have the original 60s floor tile and brown tub. Since a full reno wasn't in the works, we decided to embrace the retro!

Still have a shower/tub in our MBR, and we will be converting it to a shower. I think we may need a sliding door, though, because there's not enough room for a door to open.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I mean, it is super easy to change a shower head when you need to. I just did it last week in my apartment because I wasn't sure what might be lurking inside the crusty old one that was already there. :) Just saying, to perk up before selling, you can add a nice shower head yourself for under $50.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38898 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There are double-sided rings that allow one to easily hang both a liner and a curtain:

https://www.amazon.com/Maytex-Double-Roller-Curtain-Brushed/dp/B0042ZB1YI
    · Reply · Share
  • melvin123melvin123 1550 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you go with the shower curtain, when you go to sell, you can always take down the tension rod and curtain and put a bath candle by the tub, so you have more visual space and the candle (or bath salts) shows you’ve been using it as the tub function (hence no curtain) rather than the shower function.
    · Reply · Share
  • evergreen5evergreen5 1490 replies31 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    @BunsenBurner Thank you for pointing out the splash guards - I had no idea they existed. That should do the trick!

Next question, if anyone has a suggestion: the showerhead in the kids' bathroom apparently makes the water hurt - too high-pressure, I guess - so much that no one showers in there anymore. Can anyone recommend a showerhead? Do I just look for a showerhead that's not high pressure? It seems like they're all high-pressure, but I will keep shopping until I find something... (Also mulling over how much they might or might not use a hand shower.)
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14059 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Today's showerheads are flow regulated. However, some will give needle like flow- hate that at inlaws and understand why no one uses it. There are many showerheads out there with various choices of flow- we like the spray and never use the pulsing et al ones. I like Delta. Browse at your local Home Depot and Lowes for ideas. They are easy to change out, btw.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Look for an adjustable one that allows different patterns & flows.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaMom13CaMom13 1869 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    I like Speakerman shower heads. They're used in a lot of hotels and I stayed in one and liked it so much I got the same shower head for my home. They have a handle that allows you to adjust the spray and they don't break the way some of the plastic multi spray units do.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • kjofkwkjofkw 763 replies91 threadsRegistered User Member
    Curtain! We have a door. Hate it. It is older vintage, so I’m sure that contributes to the dislike. Shower curtains are easier, cheaper, fun to accessorize and easily changed to update décor. They make it much easier to access, sit on the tub either to bathe a child, soak a foot, clean a large item, or clean the tub. I’m often concerned if I slip, I’ll fall into the glass. It feels more claustrophobic in an enclosed curtain, but a curved bar helps. You can also use a clear liner with an opaque decorative outer curtain if that’s an issue.
    · Reply · Share