Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

124»

Replies to: Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

• CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 13,402 Senior Member
    We pulled the shower door in the bathroom our guys used. Gross, gross, gross. Installed a tension rod with vinyl liner and a curtain that I made to coordinate with the tile mirror I made. Also changed out the original vanity and sink fixtures. We still have the original 60s floor tile and brown tub. Since a full reno wasn't in the works, we decided to embrace the retro!

Still have a shower/tub in our MBR, and we will be converting it to a shower. I think we may need a sliding door, though, because there's not enough room for a door to open.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,890 Senior Member
    I mean, it is super easy to change a shower head when you need to. I just did it last week in my apartment because I wasn't sure what might be lurking inside the crusty old one that was already there. :) Just saying, to perk up before selling, you can add a nice shower head yourself for under $50.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,649 Senior Member
    There are double-sided rings that allow one to easily hang both a liner and a curtain:

https://www.amazon.com/Maytex-Double-Roller-Curtain-Brushed/dp/B0042ZB1YI
  • melvin123melvin123 Registered User Posts: 1,537 Senior Member
    If you go with the shower curtain, when you go to sell, you can always take down the tension rod and curtain and put a bath candle by the tub, so you have more visual space and the candle (or bath salts) shows you’ve been using it as the tub function (hence no curtain) rather than the shower function.
  • evergreen5evergreen5 Registered User Posts: 1,414 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    @BunsenBurner Thank you for pointing out the splash guards - I had no idea they existed. That should do the trick!

Next question, if anyone has a suggestion: the showerhead in the kids' bathroom apparently makes the water hurt - too high-pressure, I guess - so much that no one showers in there anymore. Can anyone recommend a showerhead? Do I just look for a showerhead that's not high pressure? It seems like they're all high-pressure, but I will keep shopping until I find something... (Also mulling over how much they might or might not use a hand shower.)
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,892 Senior Member
    Today's showerheads are flow regulated. However, some will give needle like flow- hate that at inlaws and understand why no one uses it. There are many showerheads out there with various choices of flow- we like the spray and never use the pulsing et al ones. I like Delta. Browse at your local Home Depot and Lowes for ideas. They are easy to change out, btw.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,890 Senior Member
    Look for an adjustable one that allows different patterns & flows.
  • CaMom13CaMom13 Registered User Posts: 1,700 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    I like Speakerman shower heads. They're used in a lot of hotels and I stayed in one and liked it so much I got the same shower head for my home. They have a handle that allows you to adjust the spray and they don't break the way some of the plastic multi spray units do.
  • kjofkwkjofkw Registered User Posts: 835 Member
    Curtain! We have a door. Hate it. It is older vintage, so I’m sure that contributes to the dislike. Shower curtains are easier, cheaper, fun to accessorize and easily changed to update décor. They make it much easier to access, sit on the tub either to bathe a child, soak a foot, clean a large item, or clean the tub. I’m often concerned if I slip, I’ll fall into the glass. It feels more claustrophobic in an enclosed curtain, but a curved bar helps. You can also use a clear liner with an opaque decorative outer curtain if that’s an issue.