Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

rutgersmammarutgersmamma Registered User Posts: 567 Member
If you renovated a hall bathroom with a tub/shower combo, to be used by guests and/or kids, would you install a curtain rod or a glass door/screen? What should be considered when making this decision?

We are probably going to be selling in 5-6 years, so I'm wondering what might appeal to new buyers. We use that bath only when adult children and guests are here but it's the only tub in the house, so would be the only place to bathe small children. Doors offer a cleaner, more finished look but the track for a sliding door makes sitting on the edge of the tub quite uncomfortable! OTH, a hinged door that would swing out into the fairly small room might be awkward, especially with kids. I have also seen pics of 'screens' (a panel of frameless glass on the tub's edge) online but I'm not sure that's a good idea either. Maybe I'm overthinking it...

Replies to: Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

• chercheurchercheur Registered User Posts: 1,251 Senior Member
    If it's the only tub, I would do a rod and shower curtain.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,624 Senior Member
    I hate glass enclosures on baths... most need frames, and crud tends to accumulate where glass meets metal. Rod/curtain is my choice for shower/bath combos.
  • mominvamominva Registered User Posts: 3,027 Senior Member
    With only one tub, rod and curtain. If there is another place for bathing small children without the obstruction of a glass door, personal preference.
    edited December 2018
    Frameless is great... just not above a bath. If you look here:

https://www.goframelessaustin.com/custom-sliding-shower-doors/

there is a strip of metal where the glass meets the tub. That is where the crud collects... that is the frame I am talking about. Plus, to clean the glass, one needs to climb into the tub (instead of walking into the shower).
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,029 Senior Member
    Frameless is great...but if the next folks don’t want it, these current owners (who don’t use this bathroom themselves) will have spent a lot of money for naught.

If these owners were using this themselves, I’d say...get what you want. But for a house that will be sold? Go for a nice curtain.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 13,136 Senior Member
    I did a rod and curtain. My rod curves out and I love that. I also ordered “hotel” style waffle shower curtain from Pottery Barn. A bit pricey ($80 iirc) but I love the look.

There are "frameless" Euro-style splash guards for bathtubs. I dislike them. One needs to climb into the tub to turn the faucet on (or the tub needs to be designed with the faucet on the opposite side of the showerhead.
  • evergreen5evergreen5 Registered User Posts: 1,408 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Struggling with a similar question. We have run into trouble with water getting around the shower curtain and onto the wall (wallboard) and baseboard next to the tub. Now they need to be fixed. Maybe our tubs are longer than normal and needed longer curtains. Or maybe the bathroom walls should have been tiled. This happened in more than one bathroom, on both ends of the tub though moreso toward the back end, and we're not sure whether to install doors instead.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,029 Senior Member
    @evergreen5

We have always had a shower curtain in our kids bathroom (the hall one). We use a shower curtain liner which stays IN the bathtub. The actual fabric curtain goes outside.

If you use only a curtain (one that doesn’t require a liner) it has to be inside the tub during showers.

In addition, the shower curtain rod needs to be placed so that it’s on the inside plane (at the edges at least) so that any water that does gather will fall right back into the tub.

We have never had a speck of damage to anything in our bathrooms. Oldest kid is 34.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,403 Senior Member
    I would rip out the tub and voila, no dilemma LOL.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,388 Senior Member
    I would just go with a sliding door.. Too many times I’ve seen kids put the curtain to the outside of the tub causing eventual water damage.
    There are plastic guards you can glue onto the tub to catch runoff in the corners.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/tidee-tubb-ultra-clear-shield/1015058943
  • dentmom4dentmom4 Registered User Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    Rod and curtain. If the new owners want a sliding glass door, let them put it in.

You can train your kids to keep the liner IN the tub. It’s very uncomfortable to bathe a young child with a metal edge. Plus, those doors collect a lot of grime on the edge attached to the tub.