right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

rutgersmammarutgersmamma 481 replies96 threads Member
If you renovated a hall bathroom with a tub/shower combo, to be used by guests and/or kids, would you install a curtain rod or a glass door/screen? What should be considered when making this decision?

We are probably going to be selling in 5-6 years, so I'm wondering what might appeal to new buyers. We use that bath only when adult children and guests are here but it's the only tub in the house, so would be the only place to bathe small children. Doors offer a cleaner, more finished look but the track for a sliding door makes sitting on the edge of the tub quite uncomfortable! OTH, a hinged door that would swing out into the fairly small room might be awkward, especially with kids. I have also seen pics of 'screens' (a panel of frameless glass on the tub's edge) online but I'm not sure that's a good idea either. Maybe I'm overthinking it...
55 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Bath Remodel--Shower Curtain or Door?

• chercheurchercheur 1296 replies10 threads Senior Member
    If it's the only tub, I would do a rod and shower curtain.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 40909 replies476 threads Senior Member
    I hate glass enclosures on baths... most need frames, and crud tends to accumulate where glass meets metal. Rod/curtain is my choice for shower/bath combos.
    · Reply · Share
  • mominvamominva 3148 replies36 threads Senior Member
    With only one tub, rod and curtain. If there is another place for bathing small children without the obstruction of a glass door, personal preference.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2018
    Frameless is great... just not above a bath. If you look here:

https://www.goframelessaustin.com/custom-sliding-shower-doors/

there is a strip of metal where the glass meets the tub. That is where the crud collects... that is the frame I am talking about. Plus, to clean the glass, one needs to climb into the tub (instead of walking into the shower).
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78028 replies3499 threads Senior Member
    Frameless is great...but if the next folks don’t want it, these current owners (who don’t use this bathroom themselves) will have spent a lot of money for naught.

If these owners were using this themselves, I’d say...get what you want. But for a house that will be sold? Go for a nice curtain.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 14369 replies36 threads Senior Member
    I did a rod and curtain. My rod curves out and I love that. I also ordered “hotel” style waffle shower curtain from Pottery Barn. A bit pricey ($80 iirc) but I love the look.

· Reply · Share
    There are "frameless" Euro-style splash guards for bathtubs. I dislike them. One needs to climb into the tub to turn the faucet on (or the tub needs to be designed with the faucet on the opposite side of the showerhead.
    · Reply · Share
  • evergreen5evergreen5 1935 replies35 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Struggling with a similar question. We have run into trouble with water getting around the shower curtain and onto the wall (wallboard) and baseboard next to the tub. Now they need to be fixed. Maybe our tubs are longer than normal and needed longer curtains. Or maybe the bathroom walls should have been tiled. This happened in more than one bathroom, on both ends of the tub though moreso toward the back end, and we're not sure whether to install doors instead.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78028 replies3499 threads Senior Member
    @evergreen5

We have always had a shower curtain in our kids bathroom (the hall one). We use a shower curtain liner which stays IN the bathtub. The actual fabric curtain goes outside.

If you use only a curtain (one that doesn’t require a liner) it has to be inside the tub during showers.

In addition, the shower curtain rod needs to be placed so that it’s on the inside plane (at the edges at least) so that any water that does gather will fall right back into the tub.

We have never had a speck of damage to anything in our bathrooms. Oldest kid is 34.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 4766 replies59 threads Senior Member
    I would rip out the tub and voila, no dilemma LOL.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4184 replies92 threads Senior Member
    I would just go with a sliding door.. Too many times I’ve seen kids put the curtain to the outside of the tub causing eventual water damage.
    · Reply · Share
    There are plastic guards you can glue onto the tub to catch runoff in the corners.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/tidee-tubb-ultra-clear-shield/1015058943
    · Reply · Share
  • dentmom4dentmom4 1499 replies4 threads Senior Member
    Rod and curtain. If the new owners want a sliding glass door, let them put it in.

You can train your kids to keep the liner IN the tub. It’s very uncomfortable to bathe a young child with a metal edge. Plus, those doors collect a lot of grime on the edge attached to the tub.
    · Reply · Share
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom 15911 replies347 threads Senior Member
    When we redo our 2nd bathroom we will have a shower curtain with a curved rod. I like to take baths sometimes and showers others and I absolutely hate the door when I take a bath.

With the stand alone shower in the master it would be different.
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 4144 replies27 threads Senior Member
    For possible sale, especially to families with young children, a bath with curtain rather than sliding door, would be preferable for access to little kids in bath seats etc. A sliding door limits your ability to access part of the tub, a worrisome prospect when there are little ones in a bath chair or sliding around in there by themselves.

For older kids, who shower and then don't pull the curtain close to the wall so that water seeps into the surrounding area (like my family), a sliding door would be preferable.

With re-sale on the horizon, I'd do curtain and rod, so that families with young children see it as do-able.
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 4205 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Frameless door. It's easy to keep clean and there is no annoying track to gunk up. But you will need to squeegee after showering to keep it clear of water marks, something many kids like to do. And there are some adults who don't have the sense to keep the curtain liner IN the tub (we have friends who own a B&B and they've told us horror stories), so this might be a bigger deal for kids. Curtains also get dirty and will eventually mold enough to need replacing (the labels totally lie!) I think it will help you sell your home if you have a clean, streamlined door rather than a curtain, which can look cheap or dated.

If you're worried about space, there are frameless sliding doors.
    · Reply · Share
  • CTmom2018CTmom2018 817 replies11 threads Member
    Our house came with one bathroom, in the hall, with a tub/shower combo with a sliding glass door. I always hated that door. It made it hard to bathe our daughter when she was small. The track collected grime and hair and was a nuisance to clean. I would have preferred a curtain and rod -- which is what we put in when we redid the bathroom a few years ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • tx5athometx5athome 3989 replies5 threads Senior Member
    I vote for glass slider. We recently remodeled our guest bath and the new slider is gorgeous. For us the bathroom is small so it makes it look bigger and you can see the gorgeous tile we put in.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity