Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parenting, what value or habit did you instill in your offspring that has had surprising payback?

great lakes momgreat lakes mom Registered User Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
I was thinking of an example from my own life this morning, that will reply to later. But I would appreciate hearing from others. It can be fascinating to look at your kids and realize how much their habits are like yours, even if unanticipated.

Replies to: Parenting, what value or habit did you instill in your offspring that has had surprising payback?

• oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 23,005 Senior Member
    Dream big, never take no for an answer.
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
    Make your bed every morning.
    (Good habit to start the day right and promotes other good habits)

Your word is your honor. (If you say you're going to do something, you do it. Also, lying in our house is the absolute worst. Our kids know they can be honest with us, even if it's hard)

Pinkie promise. (Kind of goes back to "your word is your honor" but if you pinkie promise about something, it is locked and you are 100% telling the truth)

Bottom line, install good basic habits like making your bed and keeping your room clean and don't lie.
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
    ^techmom99, totally hear you about the voting. This was the first year my 18 year old could vote and she asked me, after turning in her absentee ballot, "Why would someone not vote??" Like she just couldn't comprehend that. I loved that moment and hope she keeps that feeling her whole life.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    The payback hasn't been surprising, but otherwise here are the values and habits I'm glad my daughters have picked up: compassion; helpfulness; fortitude; sensitivity to other people's emotions.

Yesterday, D2 and I celebrated Christmas with my side of the family. My mom bitingly "joked" about my daughter not helping. D2 had made one of the foods we brought, wrapped presents, and gone grocery shopping with me beforehand. The thing she didn't do, AT MY REQUEST, was help take boxes out to the car when we were getting ready to leave. I wanted her to stay inside, to keep an eye on our dog, who I was concerned might try to bolt when I was going in and out. Meanwhile, my niece wasn't doing anything to help her dad, and no snarky comments were made.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    Not surprised but pleased that the kids are both good at living below their means, thoughtful of others, willing and able to work hard. D is very empathetic and attuned to others, while S continues to work on this. S is amazing at finding bargains.
  • Leigh22Leigh22 Registered User Posts: 622 Member
    The bed making thing makes me laugh. I make mine every day as does my older son. I can’t stand getting into an unmade bed at night. My younger S however never makes his bed - it resembles a bird’s nest.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    - Being humble -- that includes living below your means.
    - Appreciating the arts -- creating art, participating in art, understanding art, understanding how art is made by others
    - Reading-- they have habits of reading that surprise me. I never see one child reading and s/he is always saying "oh i read that" or "in the original of X, it says such and such " -- I asked how is it that you've read that? I only ever see you on your computer. The answer: I download the pdf of the book.
    - Voting and being politically active in other ways
    - Cooking -- they all can cook well and with confidence. Our motto is "if you can read, you can cook"
    - Working out-- every day.