Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Advice for living in DC

Replies to: Advice for living in DC

• sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 8,333 Senior Member
    A son has lived in the DC area for almost 10 years now. First in Arlington (Clarendon/Courthouse area). He liked Arlington but prefers to be in DC. Has lived in Chinatown, then Columbia Heights, now Adams Morgan-all good areas. I like Adams Morgan the best of those.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    DC is a great place to live. If they are experienced urbanites they should look at Adams Morgan area. It's gorgeous, has great restaurants, and is fairly close to the subway system (walk down to Dupont Circle -- if they're used to NYC this walk is not huge). Adams Morgan also has access to the park -- nice for walking and running. Otherwise, they should look at the corridor that follows the red line to the northwest. Any location along there is pleasant.
  • partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,674 Senior Member
    If they have been living in NYC then DC will be fine. My child attended school in DC in what was considered not the best area of DC and she was from a sheltered Ohio suburb, she was fine there.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    Our S really enjoys the Ballston area, near the public library and park and courthouse. There are lots of young adults and many places to eat. It’s very convenient to the metro.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    Agree. Driving in DC is not fun. Commuting -- especially across town -- really not fun. Commuting directly into and out of the city is marginally better, but still it's better to live walking or bike-share distance from your job. Adams Morgan is a long walk to Georgetown, to downtown, and elsewhere.

If they are used to walking in NYC they could probably walk many places from there or Dupont circle.
  • momjrmomjr Registered User Posts: 2,189 Senior Member
    It really depends on what they are looking for. Although rents are lower, my daughter did not find NOVA appealing. She enjoyed living in the Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan areas. Both were in walking distance to Metro stations.
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 4,565 Senior Member
    I am not a tax expert by any means, but I read recently that DCs payroll tax (I think that’s what they call it) is quite high. Virginia has a personal property tax that I know Maryland’s doesn’t have. Maryland may have higher state/county taxes than VA. There are certainly pros and cons of each area (MD/DC/VA).
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 13,218 Senior Member
    Many of the young, single people who work for my employer in Maryland reverse commute from DC. They want to live in a place like Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan, no matter how much more difficult it makes their day.
  • raclutraclut Registered User Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    Did they visit? I hope they didn't get stuck in the snow storm.
  • OnwardOnward Registered User Posts: 2,961 Senior Member
    They did visit. I haven't had a chance to talk to her yet but by text she said that they liked a place in Columbia Heights and one in DuPont Circle. They have to evaluate and think on it a bit. There probably will be another trip down.
    My dd impressions of DC so far (compared to NYC): snow was bad but people acted like it was insane to be outside, apartments are bigger and nicer and every apartment she looked at had a laundry room (some in the unit!) and the city is so much smaller and compact. I will be happy if she gets a laundry room in the building as she has to trudge a block and half to one now.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Registered User Posts: 7,652 Senior Member
    Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, and Columbia Heights are adjacent lively neighborhoods (Adams Morgan between the other two) that are particularly popular with young people: lots of restaurants, bars, nightlife but also, especially in Adams Morgan, a vibrant multicultural mix, with many recent immigrants. Columbia Heights is pretty multicultural as well. Dupont Circle is a little more upscale and especially popular with the LGBTQ community

If I were a 20-something I'd probably choose Adams Morgan. Although it doesn't have its own Metro station, the Woodley Park Metro is an easy walk, albeit across a long bridge over Rock Creek that can be chilly on a windy winter day. Dupont Circle and Columbia Heights Metro stations are also walkable from Adams Morgan. Dupont Circle and Woodley Park are on the Red Line, which would give your D an easy two or three stop commute; SIL would need to change to the Yellow Line at Gallery Place but that's still not a bad commute as the trip across the Potomac is quick and Crystal City is three quick stops into Arlington. Columbia Heights is on the Yellow and Green lines which would mean a slightly longer but still relatively easy commute for your D (5 or 6 stops with one transfer), and pretty similar to the Red Line commute for SIL (9 stops with one transfer in each case).
    I can't tell you all how appreciative I have been for all the advice. It's fun and a bit scary to watch your kids move to new areas. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this thread.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 8,333 Senior Member
    edited January 13
    Adams Morgan , Columbia Heights are popular. U Street Corridor also. Vibrant. Son and his girlfriend live in Adams Morgan and that has been my favorite area to visit ( he also lived in Columbia Heights and Chinatown). He lived in Arlington initially after college but prefers DC( as do I). May be looking elsewhere in Adams Morgan or U Street Corridor soon. Prices are high in DC so prepare for that .