Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Advice for living in DC

OnwardOnward Registered User Posts: 2,964 Senior Member
I'm back to ask for advice for my dd and her husband. They have decided to move to DC from NYC for his job opportunity in Arlington. No idea yet where she will be working. They would like to have access to the subway system. They would like to stay in the city for at least a year but do not know the neighborhoods. Any recommendations on neighborhoods or websites for searching for apartments? Any other thoughts? They plan to move at the beginning of February. Thanks, guys!

Replies to: Advice for living in DC

• airway1airway1 Registered User Posts: 651 Member
    Kids?
  • OnwardOnward Registered User Posts: 2,964 Senior Member
    No kids but may get a dog.
    Well I would not recommend DC to be frank.. they would enjoy Mosaic https://mosaicdistrict.com great location and very hip close to the Dunn Loring station in Virginia
    That's an interesting option. May I ask why you wouldn't recommend DC? Crime?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,168 Senior Member
    @HImom your thoughts?
    Crime is part of it and DC is still being developed they still have areas that are not safe even with amazing looking buildings.. when we moved here after a week my wife wanted to leave as she hated Dc she felt unsafe at night. We quickly move to Fairfax and she loves

Everything you need is located outside of dc..

They can also look at Georgetown orCrystal City in Arlington

As for mosaic if I didn’t have kids we would have moved there it’s amazing shops, a gym, yoga, resturants, a target and a Mom supermarket, cinema, farmers market on saturdays.. group exercises on the weekend and lots of activities close by
  • my2sunzmy2sunz Registered User Posts: 745 Member
    I agree with staying in NoVA, but not because of crime; I've lived in DC area for almost 30 years and it is so much better than it was when I first moved here. DS and girlfriend lived in NoMA area last summer, which is one of the neighborhoods that I feel is "coming up" and they felt very safe. Because of his job in DC, he'll be moving back there in the fall after law school. BUT - all that said - Arlington is extremely popular with those in their 20's and 30's. Easy Metro access, tons of restaurants, bars, shops. Don't discount the commute; if at least one of them is working in Arlington, the proximity to work would be a huge plus. Amazon HQ2 (well, half of 2) is going to Crystal City, so not sure how that is going to affect prices already.
    Good luck to them....DC/NoVA is a great area to live in!
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 7,067 Senior Member
    My D and her husband rent in the established neighborhood of Woodley Park, not far from the National Zoo. She's lived in several neighborhoods prior - DuPont, Georgetown - but likes the quiet environment and the older buildings. What types of things are important to them in a living situation? Will they have a car? D reads PoPville to stay up on neighborhood happenings - looks like quite a few neighborhoods are covered.
  • SouthernHopeSouthernHope Registered User Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    It's all mindset (I lived in nyc in the late eighties so that's my perspective) but I find DC (on visits) to be safe and invigorating and would recommend they live in the city...areas like Columbia Heights, Dupont Circle, Navy Yard, Chinatown, West End.
    I will say that these kids are very city experienced. They have lived in Chicago, Shanghai, Queens and Brooklyn. They tend to be minimalist but they like to eat out and enjoy a vibrant area.
    Forgot to add Alexandria totally forgot about that area which is another area would have loved to move too
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,168 Senior Member
    They are looking for a lease to start February 1?

How much do they want to spend, and how much space do they want?
  • jmnva06jmnva06 Registered User Posts: 722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Not that Arlington is huge but what part of Arlington is her husband's job located in? If it isn't along the Metro Corridor then I'd suggest looking in Arlington instead of Fairfax- just to simplify the commute.

If they like to eat out then they should check out the Clarendon area.

In terms of the city, they should look in Shaw or along the U Street Corridor. There are also cool places near the Wharf and Waterfront .
  • raclutraclut Registered User Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Start by looking at the metro map and seeing the metro stops. Are any of these close to work? Do they want to live very close to their jobs or would like to live in the suburbs? The options they have is to live in the Maryland side (Montgomery county) or live on the Virginia side (Fairfax county) If they are interested in Northern VA any stop on the orange or silver line would be cheaper than living in DC and also safer. We live walking distance from the first stop on the silver line into VA and my daughter is able to take metro into work everyday and she goes all the way down to Georgetown. The metro and bus system here is a lot less complicated than commuting in New York City. If they are interested in Northern VA please feel free to contact me and I can try to provide more information about the area. Many people use the metro and bus system here because traffic is bad and from 66 going into DC (66east) the lanes are HOV meaning at least two must be in the car to travel into DC during morning rush hour.

I believe @himom has a son living and working in Arlington so she too would be a good resource if you want to live closer to work. @1214mom may also be able to provide some information as I believe she has a child that just moved into an apartment in DC.
    https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps/index.cfm

There is a lot of growth in the Tysons/Mclean area in VA. Lots of new high rises coming up. Lots of restaurants, shopping, and job opportunities. (silver line) The mosaic district close to Dun Loring Metro is also very good. (orange line)
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,888 Senior Member
    My daughter LOVED living in DC. She first lived in Arlington, then near DuPont Circle, and felt DC was a really vibrant, fun place for people in their late 20s and early 30s. She didn't have a car (didn't need it) and did not find crime to be a problem. She also has friends who live in Falls Church. Pricey, but still connected to the city.