Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2019 New Year's resolutions/goals

Replies to: 2019 New Year's resolutions/goals

• shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 3,234 Senior Member
    Learn to let some things go. DH complains that I'm a control freak, and he's right.

Drink more water.

Be more mindful and/or meditate.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 18,577 Senior Member
    edited January 1
    One goal is to eat less sugar.

Another is to organize my house so I have a cozy, quiet place where I'm happy and comfortable reading, but not so comfortable that I fall asleep whenever I do so.

And the third is to empty the basement of nonsense stuff that has crept in there over the six years we've been in this house, and then move some things from the garage to the basement.

I've been fairly successful with New Year's resolutions because I try to keep them small and reasonable. I like New Year's resolutions because they focus my attention on something bigger than just the everyday.

ETA: Someone needs to resurrect this thread at the end of 2019 so we can all see how we've done!
  • bajammbajamm Registered User Posts: 1,582 Senior Member
    @veryhappy maybe we can all check in monthly or something to give updates, a way to keep ourselves accountable to ourselves
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,539 Senior Member
    Small and reasonable goals = more likelihood to move the needle on goals and gain happiness/satisfaction from achieving those gains.

Think about that when you are making a list of several resolutions. And remember that January 1 is just a date. You can set a resolution any of the 365 days of the year. Success at one is more likely to lead to success at another appointed "resolution".
  • bajammbajamm Registered User Posts: 1,582 Senior Member
    I agree @abasket that is one reason why I usually make resolutions at my birthday. There is less pressure, usually no one knows I am making them yet I still have the clean slate of a new year.

I don't like saying "I want to lose weight" how am I going to do that? I think I am more successful if I say I am going to exercise for x number of minutes x number of days a week or only eat desserts on Sundays or eat vegetables before eating higher calorie food or whatever. Then I will be healthier even if I don't lose weight.

What I am struggling with is the specifics of how to save the money I need to save to buy the car we need this summer. I don't work outside the home right now, so I can not say we will just live on H's salary and save mine. I also can not say I will stop buying coffee on my way to work or any other mindless expense that comes with working. We have to figure out how to lower our normal household expenses. Unemployment is double the national average here and I have been looking for a job with no luck. So, lowering expenses is the way to go until a job appears.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,539 Senior Member
    @bajamm, you seem resourceful - I think you'll find a way to save the $$!!! Some ideas...
    -- one or two meatless dinners a week.
    --sell some unneeded home items on FB Marketplace (or ebay or craigslist) - people will buy the craziest things!
    --vow to buy no new clothing - make do with what you have !
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 16,160 Senior Member
    edited January 1
    I have 3 main ones:

1. Have better control over our finances. I have a goal of how much I want to save monthly - my plan is to "pay ourselves first" and put that into savings. Have started trying to create a budget. We probably won't realistically be able to start this till Mar as we Have a lot of expenses related to my sons wedding in January which will be paid in our Jan and Feb credit cards. Need to get H on board with the idea of budgeting a certain amount for food etc each month and sticking to it..

2. Get my diabetes under control. My bloodsugar has been really bad the last few weeks. Need to really focus on this. I had lost weight when I was not very mobile for several months after surgery for a lisfranc injury but have been putting it back on now I'm more mobile (which seems backwards). I think it was because i was watching what i ate as I could not rush to the bathroom if something upset my oversensitive digestive system.

3. Get back to decluttering my house. I had been trying earlier last year but my injury made just getting through the day a challenge. My husband is a hoarder and I'd pretty much thrown my hands up in the air and given up but I'm really tired of living in this mess. Getting him on board with that is almost impossible. if I could get him to actually take the mountains of cardboard etc. He is "recycling" to the recycling place it would be a huge start.

@Bajamm lowering expenses is hard! I have been looking at ours and it is a challenge with a lot of things that I can't reduce (insurances, my husband's prescriptions etc). Have made a good start by reducing our phone expenses almost 65% - wish everything else had that much potential savings!
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,843 Senior Member
    Start using a pedometer again and get a minimum of 10K/day.

Weights 3x/week (already started back to that last week when I brought my kettle bells out of the basement and put them next to my desk).

Write every day, even if it's just a paragraph.
  • Jon234Jon234 Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    edited January 1
    Be a better dad. We have three girls and it can feel like I'm on the outs a lot of the time but that's my problem not theirs really isn't it?
  • LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,495 Senior Member
    I want to change my morning habit of checking email, texts, news and then running to running and then checking devices. I used to do it that way, was injured and couldn't run, fell out of the habit.
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 4,568 Senior Member
    I am going to track my expenses. I am retirement eligible, but I don’t feel like I can retire until I have a good idea
    What my expenses are. All kids are now college grads, and they are relatively self-sufficient (finally). So this year I should get a good idea how much my expenses will be “normally.”
    I hope to continue to get stuff out of the house/make what we keep neater.
    I’d like to find something new to do on a regular basis. It may be volunteer work, it may be spin class, or it may be actually cooking for enjoyment with my husband.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,666 Senior Member
    Happy New Year, all!

My resolution: kill more blackberries. Die, invaders, die!
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,054 Senior Member
    I'm not too keen on resolutions, but I did like the happiness list.

I would like to continue what I got back to while we were in Hong Kong - hiking regularly and getting to the gym three times a week.

I also really like the idea of organizing finances, passwords etc and decluttering our attic and basement storage areas.

Work wise, I want to look more into bullet journaling and keeping better track of billing for clients. I also want to limit the kind of jobs I take.