right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

2019 New Year's resolutions/goals

2»

Replies to: 2019 New Year's resolutions/goals

• bajammbajamm 1744 replies19 threads Senior Member
    I agree @abasket that is one reason why I usually make resolutions at my birthday. There is less pressure, usually no one knows I am making them yet I still have the clean slate of a new year.

I don't like saying "I want to lose weight" how am I going to do that? I think I am more successful if I say I am going to exercise for x number of minutes x number of days a week or only eat desserts on Sundays or eat vegetables before eating higher calorie food or whatever. Then I will be healthier even if I don't lose weight.

What I am struggling with is the specifics of how to save the money I need to save to buy the car we need this summer. I don't work outside the home right now, so I can not say we will just live on H's salary and save mine. I also can not say I will stop buying coffee on my way to work or any other mindless expense that comes with working. We have to figure out how to lower our normal household expenses. Unemployment is double the national average here and I have been looking for a job with no luck. So, lowering expenses is the way to go until a job appears.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 21309 replies914 threads Senior Member
    @bajamm, you seem resourceful - I think you'll find a way to save the $$!!! Some ideas...
    -- one or two meatless dinners a week.
    --sell some unneeded home items on FB Marketplace (or ebay or craigslist) - people will buy the craziest things!
    --vow to buy no new clothing - make do with what you have !
    · Reply · Share
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom 15911 replies347 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2019
    I have 3 main ones:

1. Have better control over our finances. I have a goal of how much I want to save monthly - my plan is to "pay ourselves first" and put that into savings. Have started trying to create a budget. We probably won't realistically be able to start this till Mar as we Have a lot of expenses related to my sons wedding in January which will be paid in our Jan and Feb credit cards. Need to get H on board with the idea of budgeting a certain amount for food etc each month and sticking to it..

2. Get my diabetes under control. My bloodsugar has been really bad the last few weeks. Need to really focus on this. I had lost weight when I was not very mobile for several months after surgery for a lisfranc injury but have been putting it back on now I'm more mobile (which seems backwards). I think it was because i was watching what i ate as I could not rush to the bathroom if something upset my oversensitive digestive system.

3. Get back to decluttering my house. I had been trying earlier last year but my injury made just getting through the day a challenge. My husband is a hoarder and I'd pretty much thrown my hands up in the air and given up but I'm really tired of living in this mess. Getting him on board with that is almost impossible. if I could get him to actually take the mountains of cardboard etc. He is "recycling" to the recycling place it would be a huge start.

@Bajamm lowering expenses is hard! I have been looking at ours and it is a challenge with a lot of things that I can't reduce (insurances, my husband's prescriptions etc). Have made a good start by reducing our phone expenses almost 65% - wish everything else had that much potential savings!
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10156 replies118 threads Senior Member
    Start using a pedometer again and get a minimum of 10K/day.

Weights 3x/week (already started back to that last week when I brought my kettle bells out of the basement and put them next to my desk).

Write every day, even if it's just a paragraph.
    · Reply · Share
  • Jon234Jon234 415 replies10 threads Member
    edited January 2019
    Be a better dad. We have three girls and it can feel like I'm on the outs a lot of the time but that's my problem not theirs really isn't it?
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • LizardlyLizardly 2633 replies11 threads Senior Member
    I want to change my morning habit of checking email, texts, news and then running to running and then checking devices. I used to do it that way, was injured and couldn't run, fell out of the habit.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 5280 replies194 threads Senior Member
    I am going to track my expenses. I am retirement eligible, but I don’t feel like I can retire until I have a good idea
    What my expenses are. All kids are now college grads, and they are relatively self-sufficient (finally). So this year I should get a good idea how much my expenses will be “normally.”
    I hope to continue to get stuff out of the house/make what we keep neater.
    I’d like to find something new to do on a regular basis. It may be volunteer work, it may be spin class, or it may be actually cooking for enjoyment with my husband.
    · Reply · Share
  • rosered55rosered55 4834 replies124 threads Senior Member
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41270 replies479 threads Senior Member
    Happy New Year, all!

My resolution: kill more blackberries. Die, invaders, die!
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33186 replies161 threads Senior Member
    I'm not too keen on resolutions, but I did like the happiness list.

I would like to continue what I got back to while we were in Hong Kong - hiking regularly and getting to the gym three times a week.

I also really like the idea of organizing finances, passwords etc and decluttering our attic and basement storage areas.

Work wise, I want to look more into bullet journaling and keeping better track of billing for clients. I also want to limit the kind of jobs I take.
    · Reply · Share
  • raclutraclut 3757 replies239 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2019
    Learn to use my instant pot to make healthier meals. (try new recipes)
    Walk more.
    Read one book a month.
    Take a class.
    Take a vacation.
    Now that D has graduated and is working focus more on being the best version of myself.
    Declutter my life.
    Socialize more. Focus on quality not quantity.
    Attend more local events.
    Keep up with my neighbors.
    Learn more about money management and saving.
    Manage stress. Work on good sleeping habits.
    Enjoy the present but also think about the future.
    Read this list often to make sure I am doing these things.

edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • rosered55rosered55 4834 replies124 threads Senior Member
    I'm hoping I will be able to spend less money on animal care in 2019. Today, I added up vet and end-of-life-care bills for my dogs in 2018: $3,900 (which doen't count the cost of the amputation, which the rescue organization paid for). So far, the new old dog has been reasonably healthy, aside from an issue the past week with a cyst.
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4966 replies350 threads Senior Member
    Take a family vacation, incorporate some other type of physical exercise into my routine (yoga, some class, just something not in the basement), read more books, less time on IPad. Declutter.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity