Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2019 New Year's resolutions/goals

bajammbajamm Registered User Posts: 1,580 Senior Member
I am one that rarely makes New Year's resolutions at New Year's. I am more likely to make them at my birthday in August.

This year, though, I am wanting to make a couple related to weight loss and finances. I will make specific ones to help reach goals, I know that general ones like "I will lose 500 pounds by next week" without the realistic steps to get there will not work.

One thing I am thinking about using is a picture of a shoe that I found a facebook page called 100 days challenge. A person prints out this shoe, then colors in a spot for every day that they do at least 30 minutes of movement.

With the finances, we want to buy a car before July 1. (probably used) I need to save more money. We will need a loan, though I want to minimize it and save as much as possible by then. So, am looking to set specific goals in order to save $500 or more a month between now and then to add to what we have already saved.

Replies to: 2019 New Year's resolutions/goals

• sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 7,060 Senior Member
    I like the shoe coloring - I'm a really visual person - I like graphs, etc. so that sounds very cool.

A group of us were talking about our resolutions this morning - I'm trying hard to be more realistic this year. I've decided to spend more time doing the things I want to do instead of the things I think I should do - for so long I've been wedded to a specific diet or exercise plan that I am no longer enjoying those activities as much. I usually set a goal exercise in Pilates to achieve - this year it's going to be a seamless jackknife - but I also want to master a pullup and a handstand pushup. My goal is to be happier! Hopefully getting out of my rut will help with that.
  • Time2ShineTime2Shine Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    1. More balance in my life

2. Less empty calories
  • lilmomlilmom Registered User Posts: 3,557 Senior Member
    1. Continue cleaning out the closets. Our favorite charity picks up donations bi-monthly so its become a habit to set aside donations in a box or bag.

2. Enjoy sitting in my backyard more often with a good book and a cup of tea.

3. Like @romanigypsyeyes, I'd like to eat at home more.

4. Get more sleep.
  • MagnetronMagnetron Registered User Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    1. Reconnect with at least one old friend. Too many drifted away while life was so busy.

2. Keep the vehicles going at least through this year, hoping for two. We have three old cars and a 1992 RV that has seen better days.

3. Climb some mountains I have not done. I have been in a rut the past couple of years only doing things that are repeats.

4. Learn some new things. I recently started on French and am enjoying the process.
  • hrh19hrh19 Registered User Posts: 852 Member
    Also adding your wish to my prayers, @romanigypsyeyes.

As for my goals/resolutions, I need to get my weight back down. I lost almost 30 pounds about four years ago, but it has been creeping back and I am really disappointed in my lack of self-control. Eat less, exercise more.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 16,059 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Weight down, more exercise. More attention to my writing life. Also change the world.

Adding my prayers for you, @romanigypsyeyes My D went through two miscarriages and a lot of struggles, but now has a healthy, perfect four-week-old. Sending all best wishes to you to for a happy outcome! <3
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 3,307 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    I can’t remember ever making a New Year’s resolution. And I plan to keep it that way. I’ve always felt we can make changes at any time, why is January 1st special? Any way, that’s how I feel.

I wish all your resolutions come true. Happy New Year!
  • atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,657 Senior Member
    edited January 1
    Continue cooking more at home. Eat more veggies.
    Healthy lifestyle--exercise regularly, lift weights to gain strength. Get more sleep.
    Clean out my room/office. (Been promising to do this for years...)
    Get through D's wedding without getting too stressed or breaking the bank.

Get H to lose weight.