right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

Replies to: Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

• 1214mom1214mom 4405 replies176 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,581 Senior Member
    Our favorite Caribbean places are Turks and Caicos and Grand Cayman. We own a timeshare on Grand Cayman, but it’s on the quiet side of the island.
    We stayed at the Alexandra and Ocean Club West on Turks. Both are condo places on Grace Bay. Ocean Club West was closer to the little town, but both were very nice. They had hurricane damage, but are fine now.
    We also love St. John, but I don’t know what it’s oike since the hurricane.
    Friends who are very well traveled mentioned they just went to South Africa and said the beaches were pristine.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1383 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,399 Senior Member
    South Africa in July (mid winter) is not going to be warm. My kids did their post HS graduation trip to Italy (Tuscany) and southern France (Nice) for two weeks (a week in each). All done on their own by train, flying out to Pisa and back from Nice.

In Italy they stayed in Cinque Terre which has amazingly blue water and beaches in the northernmost of the towns. The towns are often mobbed in the daytime (though that is early season for Europe) but really quiet in the evening as almost everyone stays elsewhere. So doing the reverse and staying there (apartments are readily available) makes sense, and a day trip by train to Pisa or Florence is quite doable.

I'd agree that Greece, especially Athens plus Crete, is a good option for a couple of weeks too (and warmer that time of year). Hiking the Samaria Gorge is an experience that shouldn't be missed if you stay in the west of Crete, despite the pre-dawn start.
    · Reply · Share
  • CAtransplantCAtransplant 517 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 529 Member
    I loved Cinque Terre a million years ago but while the water was blue and beautiful, I don't remember the beaches having nice soft sand. Was just in the south of France last summer and again, very scenic in parts but the sand is not soft in most places, tends to be more rocky and there are a lot of private beaches where you have to pay to get a chair in the nicer parts. Cassis was very pretty though, stayed in a nice little B&B and you could go on a boat or kayak into these calanques with beautiful blue water, and swim in them also.
    · Reply · Share
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle 1050 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,064 Senior Member
    I went to St. Thomas many years ago and would love to go back!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1383 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,399 Senior Member
    "I loved Cinque Terre a million years ago but while the water was blue and beautiful, I don't remember the beaches having nice soft sand."

Yes Monterosso is the only town with a decent beach. It also has a bit more accommodation so is a good place to stay.
    · Reply · Share
  • elodyCOHelodyCOH 362 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 385 Member
    Hollywood, Florida has beautiful beaches, and is not as crowded as Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 2869 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,884 Senior Member
    edited January 1
    Bermuda is gorgeous this time of year. So many beaches to choose from with 83 degree water. I'm very bias towards Bermuda as this is where my husband is from so I have been many times.
    edited January 1
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8623 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    Portugal has some nice sandy beaches. Sagres, at the SW tip has dramatic cliffs. Further east is Armacao de Pera which has orange rock formations reminiscent of Utah at the water's edge. You can hire a boat to take you to a beach that is only accessible by sea. It is the Atlantic Ocean so not as warm as the Mediterranean.

The Amalfi coast has beautiful water but the rocks are painful. I was wishing for some sort of water shoes to wear. I kept my sandals on as far as I could and couldn't go much further once I was barefoot.
    · Reply · Share
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 285 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    I appreciate all of these suggestions so much!! Thank you and please keep them coming!! Right now Bora Bora is sounding pretty darn amazing, ditto Monterosso and anywhere in the Caribbean.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8623 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    H and I spent our honeymoon in the Turks and Caicos. Very clear water and we could snorkle and see things on the bottom (like a big anchor) 40-50 feet down.

The beach at the southern tip of Provo has a coral reef that comes into very shallow water so you can snorkle over it. When we were there, they used the US dollar for currency and encouraged hitchhiking so they would need less cars.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22506 replies188 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22,694 Senior Member
    St. John is my favorite- but it’s low key. Best beaches and water. I have been there since the hurricane. There is still rebuilding going on, but there is plenty open and great villas and condos. We are going back in May.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16662 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,818 Senior Member
    I've been to Bora Bora, and it's wonderful. However, my experience was that it was mostly inhabited by honeymooners or people enjoying a romantic anniversary trip. Not a big family friendly place. Ditto for Moorea.

I will have to say it was many years since I went there, so perhaps it has changed.

Grand Cayman has beautiful white sand and blue water. It can be rather pricey, though. We have stayed at hotels and condos on Seven Mile Beach, and we preferred the condo hands down.
    · Reply · Share
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl 2844 replies106 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,950 Senior Member
    St. John would be my first choice, hands down, especially if your family is semi-active. The best beaches are generally a short hike, other more touristy have parking lots (think Trunk Bay). Rent a condo and a jeep and you will find plenty to do for two weeks if beaching is your goal. There are beach bars, boat rentals, happy hours, good food (both cheap eats and fine dining). I would stay within walking distance to Cruz Bay so each can go their own way when necessary, some with the auto and others can walk to lots of places from there.

I've stayed in several places but for location and easy access to beach bars try a vrbo at this "resort".
    Its not really a resort lol but individually owned condos, some with great views of the bay.
    https://grandebayresort.com

Another option may be Puerto Rico, but I would then split my time between Old San Juan (not very good beaches but fun) Vieques and Culebra , although the kids may find this lacking activities for them.

My sister and I are taking my D as a college graduation gift to Greece and splitting our two weeks in Santorini, Naxos and Paros with two last days in Athens so I would recommend that as well. I would go to St. John but we left the decision to my D. Her first two choices were outside the budget: Galapagos and New Zealand, but might be worth a look for you.

· Reply · Share
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 3906 replies54 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,960 Senior Member
    Turks and Caicos
    · Reply · Share