right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

Replies to: Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

• elodyCOHelodyCOH 398 replies24 threads Member
    Hollywood, Florida has beautiful beaches, and is not as crowded as Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 2992 replies16 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2019
    Bermuda is gorgeous this time of year. So many beaches to choose from with 83 degree water. I'm very bias towards Bermuda as this is where my husband is from so I have been many times.
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8831 replies41 threads Senior Member
    Portugal has some nice sandy beaches. Sagres, at the SW tip has dramatic cliffs. Further east is Armacao de Pera which has orange rock formations reminiscent of Utah at the water's edge. You can hire a boat to take you to a beach that is only accessible by sea. It is the Atlantic Ocean so not as warm as the Mediterranean.

The Amalfi coast has beautiful water but the rocks are painful. I was wishing for some sort of water shoes to wear. I kept my sandals on as far as I could and couldn't go much further once I was barefoot.
    · Reply · Share
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 360 replies15 threads Member
    I appreciate all of these suggestions so much!! Thank you and please keep them coming!! Right now Bora Bora is sounding pretty darn amazing, ditto Monterosso and anywhere in the Caribbean.
    · Reply · Share
    H and I spent our honeymoon in the Turks and Caicos. Very clear water and we could snorkle and see things on the bottom (like a big anchor) 40-50 feet down.

The beach at the southern tip of Provo has a coral reef that comes into very shallow water so you can snorkle over it. When we were there, they used the US dollar for currency and encouraged hitchhiking so they would need less cars.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22882 replies192 threads Senior Member
    St. John is my favorite- but it’s low key. Best beaches and water. I have been there since the hurricane. There is still rebuilding going on, but there is plenty open and great villas and condos. We are going back in May.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17232 replies163 threads Senior Member
    I've been to Bora Bora, and it's wonderful. However, my experience was that it was mostly inhabited by honeymooners or people enjoying a romantic anniversary trip. Not a big family friendly place. Ditto for Moorea.

I will have to say it was many years since I went there, so perhaps it has changed.

Grand Cayman has beautiful white sand and blue water. It can be rather pricey, though. We have stayed at hotels and condos on Seven Mile Beach, and we preferred the condo hands down.
    · Reply · Share
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl 2845 replies106 threads Senior Member
    St. John would be my first choice, hands down, especially if your family is semi-active. The best beaches are generally a short hike, other more touristy have parking lots (think Trunk Bay). Rent a condo and a jeep and you will find plenty to do for two weeks if beaching is your goal. There are beach bars, boat rentals, happy hours, good food (both cheap eats and fine dining). I would stay within walking distance to Cruz Bay so each can go their own way when necessary, some with the auto and others can walk to lots of places from there.

I've stayed in several places but for location and easy access to beach bars try a vrbo at this "resort".
    Its not really a resort lol but individually owned condos, some with great views of the bay.
    https://grandebayresort.com

Another option may be Puerto Rico, but I would then split my time between Old San Juan (not very good beaches but fun) Vieques and Culebra , although the kids may find this lacking activities for them.

My sister and I are taking my D as a college graduation gift to Greece and splitting our two weeks in Santorini, Naxos and Paros with two last days in Athens so I would recommend that as well. I would go to St. John but we left the decision to my D. Her first two choices were outside the budget: Galapagos and New Zealand, but might be worth a look for you.

· Reply · Share
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 4021 replies57 threads Senior Member
    Turks and Caicos
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9685 replies521 threads Senior Member
    edited January 2019
    20 years ago my husband and I honeymooned in New Zealand and Rarotonga. We flew into Auckland, carried on to Rarotonga, which is tiny but surrounded by pristine beaches and interior waterfalls. We then took a tiny plane to Aitutaki, which is an isolated but superlative sandbar in the middle of the Pacific. Then, we went to the South Island of New Zealand and saw glaciers and primeval forests. THAT was a good trip!

I agree too that the Samaria Gorge on Crete is spectacular and worth the hike and early start time.
    edited January 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • washugradwashugrad 1153 replies13 threads Senior Member
    New Zealand does have gorgeous and uncrowded beaches but it's dubious whether it would be warm enough to enjoy them in June/July.
    I'd put in a minor plug for Croatia... the water there is really clear, people are really friendly and it's generally slightly cheaper than say Italy. I think for the most part though the beaches are rock/pebble rather than fine sand, and 'uncrowded' is probably unlikely in July.
    · Reply · Share
  • Scholar2023Scholar2023 67 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Trunk bay, St. John USVI
    · Reply · Share
    @washugrad , no NZ beaches won’t be warm in July. But almost anywhere else in the South Pacific will be lovely in our summer. It’s not such a schelp from SF. OP could do island hopping.
    · Reply · Share
    Oh yes, Costa Rica is a great choice! Lots to do too. The loveliest beaches are on the Gulf side, IMO. But there are many fun options in Costa Rica for activities and beaches. Good place for two weeks.
    · Reply · Share
  • GudmomGudmom 247 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Arenal. Damn you, autocorrect!
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 8290 replies70 threads Senior Member
    My daughter was in Costa Rica for 10 days. I agree that there is lots and lots to do if you don't want to just sit and relax on the beach. They hiked down into waterfalls, kayaked volcanic crater lakes, zip lined in the clouds over the rain forests, went white water rafting, horseback riding on the beach, etc.... The beaches were amazing too.
    · Reply · Share
  • GudmomGudmom 247 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @Lindagaf The beaches on the pacific side vary - Tamarindo is beautiful white sand but fairly crowded (would not be considered crowded for NJ though); our villa was across the street from a lava-flow beach so wide flat rocks full of sea urchins hiding in holes, but a short stroll down the beach, the flow ended in a huge beach of white, powder soft sand.

The reason I said Pacific side is because at that time of year (Jun-July) the pacific side gets much less rain.
    · Reply · Share
    Correction to post 26: the beach with the coral reef in shallow water is on the southern tip of Grand Turk, not Provo.
    · Reply · Share