right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

Replies to: Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

• crknwk2000crknwk2000 354 replies15 threads Member
    For those of you who would be bored with 2 weeks on the beach, I do kind of hear ya, but D19 LOVES the beach more than anyone I think I know. She's a competitive swimmer and I think part mermaid. She does like to surf, paddle board and boogie board if there are waves, but if there are not, it's not the end of the world, she can float around forvever. Snorkeling would be great. None of us are divers.

I LOVE charter sail ideas in BVI or Bora Bora. 14 years ago before I got pregnant with my high risk 2nd child, we were planning to do this (my husband is an avid sailer and has sailed to Hawaii multiple times and to Ireland--he too loves Bermuda and the Azores from his sail to Ireland). The idea of doing this totally fell by the way side with funds, kids in sports, etc. Maybe this trip could be the trip of a life time for my husband AND D19.

Thank you SO much for all the amazing suggestions, tips and pointers. It seems like we could all use a little time in the sun right now ; )
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75514 replies3310 threads Senior Member
    We went to a destination wedding in the small village of Tulum. Our hotel was ON the beach and it was fabulous. That might work. You could check out the ruins nearby...lots of great tours for that. I would suggest using a company with a small van as opposed to a busload. Really nice..but I’m nit sure two weeks worth of nice.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22812 replies192 threads Senior Member
    That’s what I like about St. John. There are so many beaches and excursions for snorkeling and good casual options for drinks and eating. It’s not like you walk out to the same beach every day. It takes a little bit of work to get to some of the beaches, which makes it fun.
    · Reply · Share
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 354 replies15 threads Member
    @thumper1 Tulum is one of the places we have been and you are right, we did really like it, but we're looking for something new this time. Our hotel was on the beach, too, and it was simple and dreamy. Among other adventures during our week there, we went to Sian Ka'an and THAT is the type of blue, blue, blue water that we're looking for--just in a new place : )
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19706 replies876 threads Senior Member
    Beach vacation doesn't mean you only sit in a lounge chair on the beach!!!! As OP points out, you could lay in the sun - or you can enjoy the water in several ways, walk the beach to the left...walk the beach to the right...I can and do walk a beach for an hour or two without hesitation - and daily!

· Reply · Share
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild 22812 replies192 threads Senior Member
    The Caribbean beaches don’t lend themselves to long walks- at least not the USVI beaches. They tend to be bays or coves and not long straight stretches of sand. There is still plenty of hiking and walking to be done, though. The center of the islands are high and the beaches (obviously) are down low.
    · Reply · Share
  • coralbrookcoralbrook 7884 replies25 threads Senior Member
    I would highly recommend a sailing bareboat or captained charter vacation. There is nothing more bonding for a family and there are tons of activities to keep you busy all day. For a first sailing charter I would recommend the BVIs. They are kind of like the Disneyland of charter destinations, but in a good way. Their main tourism is sailing charters so they are set up for it. there are beachside restaurants and bars. Lots of docks for refueling and getting water. They are recovering from a big hurricane and a lot of the beach bars have been rebuilt much nicer and they really need your money!

With a D19 the BVIs offer more fun activities and nightlife. Tahiti is sheer beauty but might be boring for your daughter.
    Really good easy snorkeling right off the boat.
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 5789 replies90 threads Senior Member
    @abasket We're with you on beaches. We've spent a month on a few beach vacations - usually February - and never once sat in a beach chair on the beach or got bored. We usually manage to snorkel daily (weather permitting) if in a snorkeling area though. This year we're testing the "crime ridden" DR for the first time, but only for a week in March due to my mom's illness. Our trip coincides with med school lad's spring break.

We're not all-inclusive people. We thought about it and even selected one in the DR that seemed appealing, but then I came across a neat little waterfront apartment right above a restaurant on Air Bnb with reviews from previous guests saying it's perfect for walking around a small town (far preferable to us than a larger city) and hosts that arrange neat snorkeling excursions if you want them. Private sounds awesome compared to boats filled with others.

Considering the DR is inexpensive, close, and reading what is advertised - this sounds perfect for us Creeklanders. Time will tell. We don't travel with valuables - don't actually own valuables - and will probably leave our scuba gear home and rent if we opt to dive, but I'll keep a couple of extra bills to give to a mugger if we cross paths. I do that anyway - anywhere we travel, US included - just in case.

I'll admit to being surprised so many prefer FL panhandle beaches to Pinellas County (FL) beaches. We far prefer the latter having gone to the panhandle once preparing to be pleased and left wondering if others had seen southern Pinellas County. One of our all time favorites is Ft Desoto's since it's been left undeveloped and one can walk for miles. We love camping at their campground too. Different strokes for different folks obviously!

We're not Outer Banks NC fans either... but due to this thread we're currently planning a trip to French Polynesia for two years from now. I've been wanting to get there for a long time and this finally gave me the push to get one on the books. It'll be in two years so our kids can also join if they want to. They're pretty busy until then - too busy for a longer vacation (since one week is short by our standards for a distance destination trip).

My dream job to do when I grow up is to wander all beaches world-wide and assess them. We've hit quite a few in the US - including Great Lakes, East Coast, West Coast, HI - but not so many overseas as of yet.
    · Reply · Share
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl 2845 replies106 threads Senior Member
    ^That sounds just about perfect :)
    · Reply · Share
  • coralbrookcoralbrook 7884 replies25 threads Senior Member
    @eyemamom ... ditto. Perfection in my book
    · Reply · Share
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 1539 replies12 threads Senior Member
    @NEPatsGirl Yes, Waikiki is good for having a drink and some nice waves but not an ideal beach. There are some amazing beaches on Maui. IMO, you have to get away from other tourists in any area to have a good beach day. The fewer people the better.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39151 replies470 threads Senior Member
    Have to disagree that Tulum's water is good for snorkeling. There can be a lot of seaweed in the water. The best snorkeling we have done was off the Kaanapali North in Maui. The coral there does not disappoint: giant moray eels, turtles, a school of squid, manta rays, barracudas, octopi, fishes. Lots of fishes. Plus, one can walk on the beach for a good mile and then some more (the Black Rock gets in the way). However, the place is being built out like there is no tomorrow, so bummer.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7947 replies508 threads Senior Member
    @eyemamom that sounds like a great idea. We have bareboat chartered three times in the BVI but have never been to St John. We did charters in the BVI and Belize with our children. It was some of the best holiday time we have experienced. Our last four charters have been minus kids. My dream would be to take them again now that they are all adults. BVI would be great spot for that.
    From the west coast it is so much easier to get to Tahiti. Though I agree with @coralbrook that your D might enjoy the land life more in the BVI. In Tahiti we spent most evenings on the boat.
    · Reply · Share
  • droppeditdroppedit 1034 replies18 threads Senior Member
    For pure beach/sand, I'm with @CU123 -- FL Panhandle (Destin, etc.). Even in the blazing summer sun it's cool to the touch, squeaks when you walk on it, etc. However, it'll be very hot and muggy in the summer and there's nothing else to do but enjoy the sand (no reefs, etc.). Other memorable beaches we've been to:

1. Grand Turk. Went there on a cruise excursion. Thick, relatively soft sand in waist-deep warm water. DW said we should sell everything, buy a boat, and live there!

2. Makena beach, Maui. Thick light-brown sand. Many things to see in the area. But HI is out per the OP, so scratch that.

3. Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman. Very nice, warm water, etc. You have to stay up in the northern half (e.g. Westin, Kimpton) due to the hurricanes in the mid-2000s taking out the beaches in the southern half. We've been there many times because it's an easy flight from ATL. What always gets me is when the water is very calm, the little rental sailboats near the shore appear to be floating in the air because the water is so clear that you can see their shadows underneath.

We haven't been to a decent beach in the Med and we've been to Italy, Greece, Croatia, Turkey, etc. Always rocky and cold. I do have to say that the Med has some of the clearest water I've ever seen, especially in Cavtat, Croatia.

Final note: one place I'd *really* like to go back to is the Na Pali coast on north Kauai. Rent a boat with crew and cruise along the shore, stopping at the little beaches. The view from offshore is spectacular near sunset. We only sailed by it on a cruise. It's probably one of the few places where online photos actually match what you see in person.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39151 replies470 threads Senior Member
    The best beaches of Na Pali Coast are not very accessible by boat and are definitely not swimmable. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • droppeditdroppedit 1034 replies18 threads Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner -- Makua beach looks like it's decently protected by an offshore reef. Anyway, probably isn't going to happen. The beach on the southwest side of Kauai (Kokole Point) is the widest one I've found on Google Maps so far. Several miles long and routinely 400 ft wide! Unfortunately, reviews say that it has dangerous surf :(
    · Reply · Share
  • bhs1978bhs1978 665 replies12 threads Member
    Negril, Jamaica 🇯🇲
    · Reply · Share
  • lia_blia_b 308 replies72 threads Member
    I was just telling someone the other day that one of the most beautiful places I have seen, has been from a catamaran sailing thought the Virgin Islands. I love a good beach but cannot sit all day on one. I love to walk and explore. I have been lucky to have visited many of the beaches mentioned in this thread, but St. John, USVI ticks all the boxes for me Sadly, I have not been back because there are so many places I want to see.

About ten years ago, while on a family vacation in St. John, we took a day trip on a catamaran that took us to the Baths in BVI and also to Norman islands for snorkeling around the caves. Cruising between the islands is still one of the best experiences I have had. The scenery is stunning. I agree with eyeamon, rent a villa in St. John and charter a boat and just explore all the beautiful islands.

Cinque Terre is also pretty amazing but the best beach in Monterosso, is rocky and crowded. However, it is still pretty and there is a lot of good food and hiking between the five towns and easy to get around from one to the other. I can see spending two weeks there, but definitely a different experience than St. John.

· Reply · Share
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 2224 replies8 threads Senior Member
    The beaches and water around Penang, Malaysia were so beautiful and the water so warm. We also loved the beaches on Bedarra island,Australia.
    · Reply · Share