Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

1234568»

Replies to: Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

• Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 Registered User Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    @postmodern You are a better person than I am. I'm saving the really special places. Too easy to go somewhere 10 years later and find it crowded with people and tons of garbage. I promise if we ever visit to treat it with care :)
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
    Tickets and hotel are booked! Will let you all know after July 4th where we went and all about it. Thabks so much for all the great suggestions!!!
  • brentwoodmombrentwoodmom Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    edited January 11
    We are an adventurous family, and we absolutely loved St. Thomas and St. John.
    We stayed on St Thomas near Red Hook and rented a Jeep to go all over both islands (there is a ferry that runs between the two). We bought snorkel gear and took it with us and snorkeled all over. You can start with some snorkeling right off the popular beaches and then work your way up to Waterlemon Bay.

You can visit cinnamon plantation ruins, the Rastafarian farmer’s market, take a boat tour to BVI, visit Charlotte-Amalie and the sites there. We took some Enos with us, pitched them between the trees on the beaches, and often saw just a handful of other people on the beach. It was paradise.

We spent 11 nights because I was scared 2 weeks would too long, but we easily could have stayed a few more days.
    I’ve been to most islands in the Caribbean, and these were my favorite hands down.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. We found some areas to save money and some things where you really need to splurge, and I’m happy to share what we learned.
  • PostmodernPostmodern Registered User Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    @brentwoodmom we also love St. John and as soon as Caneel Bay reopens we are going back.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,685 Senior Member
    I wouldn't hold your breath on Caneel Bay. I've on some St. John forums and it's really a mess. No progress at all and a lot of politics going on as far as the rebuild.
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
    We’re not going to the BVI’s. Maybe next time, esp with all the great BVI info on this thread :D
  • martharapmartharap Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    Why the suspense?
  • brentwoodmombrentwoodmom Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    @crknwk2000 Totally missed your last post that you had already booked. Hope you have a great trip wherever you picked.
  • eyemamomeyemamom Registered User Posts: 5,405 Senior Member
    I'm dreaming about nilla killers at Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke now.
  • lucy_van_peltlucy_van_pelt Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    @crknwk2000 congrats! can't wait to hear about it!
  • PostmodernPostmodern Registered User Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    @MomofWildChild that's too bad. Such a special place.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 3,107 Senior Member
    I have not read through but either Tahiti or cinnamon bay in St. John