right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

crknwk2000crknwk2000 329 replies15 threadsRegistered User Member
Hi parents who always seem to have such good info,
Where in the world is your favorite beach with soft sand, totally swimmable blue warm water that is not ridiculously crowded in June and July? We are a family who doesn't travel a ton due to saving our pennies, but my D19 is graduating and we want to take her on a great beach trip for 2 weeks. We don't have sky's the limit $$ for this, but we've saved some to make it good. She would LOVE to go the Seychelles, but not sure if we can make that work. Maybe somewhere in Greece? What has been your favorite beach that fits what we're looking for?

Some info: we'll be leaving from San Francisco
We've already been to: Tulum (really loved it), various Hawaiian islands so no Hawaii

Thanks for any tips!
127 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Best beach with the bluest warm water and not ridiculously crowded?

• oldfortoldfort 22959 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In my opinion, if you are looking for a beach vacation I would just go to a Caribbean island. I have been to beaches in Italy, Thailand, Mexico, HI and I find some of the Caribbean islands have the nicest beaches and they are close by.D1 went to Maldives for her honeymoon. She said it was nice, but she wouldn't do it again because she could find something similar closer to home. I think Punta Cana, Turks and Caicos have the bluest water and softest beaches. It is going to be very hot in Jun & Jul, but still very enjoyable.
    If you want to go to Europe and you have 2 weeks, you may want to do surf and turf. One week on a beach and one week for sightseeing. I would highly recommend Italy around Tuscany. They are some nice beach towns and you can go to Florence, Pisa and other nearby towns.
    · Reply · Share
    Both of my kids have been to Portugal beaches. They said it's very nice, great food and very reasonable.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7298 replies56 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We went to Bermuda for DD's graduation/18th birthday last year and loved it. We went in mid June and the weather was perfect and it wasn't crowded at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • crknwk2000crknwk2000 329 replies15 threadsRegistered User Member
    Thanks @momofsenior1 and @oldfort. We could tag this trip onto a family reunion that is happening at the end of Juen on the East Coast so getting down the Caribbean or Bermuda would be pretty easy from there. If anyone has specific places that they've stayed out in any beach areas that they recommend I'd be so grateful, too!
    · Reply · Share
    Bermuda is beautiful with softest sand. It is more expensive than other islands, and I think you would be bored there for 2 weeks. I used to go there for long weekend because it was so close to NYC.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes, I’d find 2 weeks too long for any beach vacation.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9245 replies497 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Late June-early July is a good time to go to Europe because kids get out of school later there.

To save money, go to the Caribbean. It’s a little less crowded in summer. The airfare should be cheaper. There are many islands that fit the bill for tropical paradise and the flight time will be a lot shorter. If you’re trying to be economical, it makes a lot more sense to stay closer to the US, especially when there are world class beaches in the Caribbean.

Mexico is beautiful and so interesting. It’s probably better suited to a two week trip because there is a lot to see and do. I recommend the Caribbean side over the Pacific side, because you will find gorgeous beaches apart from Tulum and there are so many cool ruins within easy access of that area. Maybe you saw those ruins before.

Greece is wonderful. We took our teens a couple of years ago to Crete in late June, early July. We loved it, and there is no shortage of stunning beaches with beautiful sand and blue water. Hubby and I have both been to various islands, but Crete was fabulous. Google Falassarna and Elafonissi beaches. Stunning. For a two week trip, there is enough to see and do because Crete is a fairly large island. I also recommend you spend a couple of days in Athens because the whole city is interesting and it seems crazy to go all that way and not see the Acropolis.

We also went to the Amalfi Coast in Italy in late June, early July. Beaches with soft sand are not going to happen, but there are beaches. We swam in the sea every day and the water was gorgeous, clear and turquoise. Google Bagni Della Regina Giovanna, it’s amazing. We based ourselves in Sorrento because we wanted access to Pompeii and easier sight seeing. It was a perfect location for us and our teens loved it. We rented our own boat and went to Positano one day. That was a darn good vacation.

Many people love the south of France, and there is a lot to see there for two weeks. I don’t have any experience with it, but I’m sure if you google St. Tropez you will find a lot of good beaches with soft sand and clear blue water.

@crknwk2000 Should add, we went to Thailand this summer. The beaches on Koh Samui were beautiful. It won’t necessarily be off peak though, because the Indian Ocean side of Thailand will be in rainy season. That’s why we went to Samui. It was not super busy, but busy enough. It won’t be such a schelp from SF I guess. But I do think two weeks is too long for any small island. I would have gone stir crazy if I’d been on Samui for two weeks.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • dallastxmomdallastxmom 52 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    We love Grand Cayman. Been 3 times in June and July and never been crowded. We do avoid downtown on days with cruise ships in port. We stay in a condo on 7 mile beach and it is a very relaxing trip for us.
    · Reply · Share
    My brother just came back from Ibiza and he said it was a lot of fun. There is great music (party) scene.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14074 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Be warned- June and July are hurricane season for the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. Probability of one- low but possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • jmk518jmk518 325 replies2 threadsRegistered User Member
    We go to the BVI and rent a villa in Virgin Gorda every few years.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23005 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    How about a cruise of the Caribbean? Some of the ones I've been on have been to nice beaches. I'd love to go on one that stops in Cuba!
    · Reply · Share
  • warblersrulewarblersrule 10025 replies171 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    crknwk2000 wrote:
    Maybe somewhere in Greece?
    Cyprus is way better for great beaches and relatively few tourists -- at least if you avoid Ayia Napa.

You'll run into some Brits on the island, but most Americans can't even locate Cyprus on a map.
    · Reply · Share
  • mominvamominva 3048 replies36 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We did Club Med Columbus Isle for a week, great beach plus activities.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7887 replies506 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    My relative did Fiji last summer with her teenage children.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4557 replies181 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our favorite Caribbean places are Turks and Caicos and Grand Cayman. We own a timeshare on Grand Cayman, but it’s on the quiet side of the island.
    We stayed at the Alexandra and Ocean Club West on Turks. Both are condo places on Grace Bay. Ocean Club West was closer to the little town, but both were very nice. They had hurricane damage, but are fine now.
    We also love St. John, but I don’t know what it’s oike since the hurricane.
    Friends who are very well traveled mentioned they just went to South Africa and said the beaches were pristine.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1597 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    South Africa in July (mid winter) is not going to be warm. My kids did their post HS graduation trip to Italy (Tuscany) and southern France (Nice) for two weeks (a week in each). All done on their own by train, flying out to Pisa and back from Nice.

In Italy they stayed in Cinque Terre which has amazingly blue water and beaches in the northernmost of the towns. The towns are often mobbed in the daytime (though that is early season for Europe) but really quiet in the evening as almost everyone stays elsewhere. So doing the reverse and staying there (apartments are readily available) makes sense, and a day trip by train to Pisa or Florence is quite doable.

I'd agree that Greece, especially Athens plus Crete, is a good option for a couple of weeks too (and warmer that time of year). Hiking the Samaria Gorge is an experience that shouldn't be missed if you stay in the west of Crete, despite the pre-dawn start.
    · Reply · Share
  • CAtransplantCAtransplant 531 replies12 threadsRegistered User Member
    I loved Cinque Terre a million years ago but while the water was blue and beautiful, I don't remember the beaches having nice soft sand. Was just in the south of France last summer and again, very scenic in parts but the sand is not soft in most places, tends to be more rocky and there are a lot of private beaches where you have to pay to get a chair in the nicer parts. Cassis was very pretty though, stayed in a nice little B&B and you could go on a boat or kayak into these calanques with beautiful blue water, and swim in them also.
    · Reply · Share
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle 1051 replies14 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I went to St. Thomas many years ago and would love to go back!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1597 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "I loved Cinque Terre a million years ago but while the water was blue and beautiful, I don't remember the beaches having nice soft sand."

Yes Monterosso is the only town with a decent beach. It also has a bit more accommodation so is a good place to stay.
    · Reply · Share