Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A NFL running playoff thread

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,711 Senior Member
    I thought Romo did a nice job. Like calling the plays before they were going to happen and explaining why. He should of just gone and quarterbacked.. Ha..
    So.... Should the NFL change the rule in overtime that each team gets the ball once at a chance to make a score? Patrick looked liked a lost puppy knowing he would never get a chance to score. Both quarterbacks/teams played great.
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    Should the NFL change the rule in overtime that each team gets the ball once at a chance to make a score?
    The current rule is already much better than it used to be. If you go any farther you might as well just play the whole quarter, and get rid of sudden death.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 15,959 Senior Member
    Romo was the enemy when he was a player, but I am loving him as a commentator. I feel like I learn stuff when I listen to him. Also I don't mind if he talks a lot. NY sports commentators talk more than in many other parts of the country, in baseball for instance, and I'm used to that.

Also, he's so much easier to listen to then, say Joe Buck.
    @notrichenough.. You mean we get more football.. Then OK.. Lol...
  • rphcfbrphcfb Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    I agree with @notrichenough that the current OT rule is better now than before. The team that has the ball first needs to score a touch down.

Football has offense, defense and special team. The Chiefs’ defense could have stopped the Pats and given Mahome a chance. That’s what the Rams’ defense did to the Saints in OT.
    @Knowsstuff If each team is guaranteed a possession, it gives too much advantage to the second team, because they know what they have to do. So the trade-off is providing a way for the first team to win outright. It is not easy to score a touchdown. KC's offense scores TDs on 4 of 10 drives, the Patriots on 5 of 11..
    All I can say about Brady is that he got beat by us last year and he wasn’t man enough to congratulate Foles and shake his hand. Seriously? Such a lack of respect.
    Huh, it seems Mahomes didn't shake Brady's hand after the game. That unsportsmanlike jerk! Such a lack of respect.

It's ok though, Brady tracked him down in the stadium:
    Brady was now free to find his family or his friends or his teammates. He was now free to revel in another triumph. He was now free to soak in a moment that he even wasn’t so sure was possible this season, with this team.

But first Brady wanted to find someone. So he asked officials to take him to the one person who might be most in need of a moment of his time, because he’d most certainly earned his full admiration.

He told them to take him to Patrick Mahomes.

“I just wanted to say hello,” Brady said. “I didn’t get to see him on the field.”

After this rollicking and roller-coaster playoff duel, with the Pats and Chiefs combining for four touchdowns and one field goal in the final seven minutes, 45 seconds of the fourth quarter, with a Super Bowl appearance baying in the winter wind, there was no way Brady was leaving Arrowhead Stadium without a word with Mahomes.

So Brady followed NFL and Chiefs security through a back door of the Chiefs’ locker room, until they found the 23-year-old likely MVP who had pushed and pushed and pushed the great Tom Brady to the limits.

The meeting wasn’t long. A few positive words and some elder praise for the next generation. The gesture was what mattered. The respect shown was what counted.

“He’s a great player,” Brady said. “He played a great game.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tom-bradys-message-patrick-mahomes-afc-title-duel-064838899.html
  • momtogkcmomtogkc Registered User Posts: 596 Member
    Geez, what a stressful day of football! My heart rate was going through the roof last night! So happy the Patriots made it. I totally get why most people are sick of us, I always feel the same way about teams like Alabama, but being from MA and growing up with them being so bad I can take the hate.

I took my D21 and her friend sup to Universal in Orlando this weekend. When we were leaving the hotel yesterday I was wearing my Patriots short and a man sitting right next to my car had a Chiefs shirt. The valet made a comment and I laughed and said I would have to say hi. He said that i should give him the finger! I said no way, that is what gives Patriots fans a bad name. (he said he was just kidding!) I said good luck as I got in the car and he smiled and said the same - I have to do all I can to give us a better reputation. :))
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 75,364 Senior Member
    Re: NFL overtime

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/6/16042116/nfl-overtime-rules-super-bowl-li-patriots-falcons-62316a6f8e3c says that. under the current overtime rules through the 2016-2017 season and playoffs, there were 87 overtime games. The team that got the ball first had a record of 45 wins, 37 losses, and 5 ties.

So winning the coin toss is significantly associated with the likelihood of winning.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,278 Senior Member
    The team that got the ball first had a record of 45 wins, 37 losses, and 5 ties.

Not sure that those numbers are relevant. Digging deeper, the question is how many times does the receiving team go down and score a TD so that the other side never touches the ball? And that answer is less than 20%. In other words, in 80% of the pro OT games, both sides get the ball at least once.

Sure, field position makes a difference for teh second team to get the ball, but the point is that they do get the ball.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/12/29/10682736/nfl-overtime-rules-bill-belichick-patriots-jets-decision-wind-kick-receive
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,278 Senior Member
    Even the Rams' safety knew it was a PI:
    “I was just like, you know what, my best chance is just to smash him,” Robey-Coleman said. “As soon as I hit the ground and got up, I was looking for laundry.”
    45/87 = 51.7%, you can't get much closer to even than that.

How many of those were walk-off TDs?

According to the stats I could find, after they moved the kickoff back 5 yards to the 30 in 1994, teams won on the first possession about 60% of the time. So the current system seems more "fair" than the old one.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,144 Senior Member
    Personally I think that in the playoffs, both teams should get a crack at the ball. It's not regular season.

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 16,538 Senior Member
    This week will be a hard one for Dee Ford. His lining up in the neutral zone that negated the game winning interception.

Ouch.

Double ouch.