Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A NFL running playoff thread

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,325 Senior Member
    edited January 21
    They were talking to an ex ref and he was saying the new guys rely to much on New York to make the call.

I'd bet its more of a psychology thing: I don't want a call I make to decide a game, particularly if that call is not clear and convincing. [IMO, this was clear and convincing.] In other words, they let them play.

But think about Hail Mary's at the end of games. Every defensive coach will tell his players to grab/hold in the end zone bcos 99.99% of the time no ref is gonna call a PI unless its a clear assault.

No different than NBA games. I still remember the Cavs-Warriors final with the Warriors inbounding the ball in the last few seconds down by a bucket. Lebron was literally draped over Steph Curry right in front of the inbounder at mid-court. Every camera angle showed it. The refs had to see it too, but just swallowed their whistle so-to-speak to not make them the focus of the game ending.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 75,529 Senior Member
    bluebayou wrote:
    No different than NBA games.

Traveling, what's that? :)
    edited January 21
    ^^That comes right after "Carrying/Palming" in written rules that have just been forgotten.
  • ScipioScipio Registered User Posts: 8,844 Senior Member
    I'm a Rams fan and I'm thrilled they are in the Super Bowl. I hope they destroy the Patriots. But I certainly wish the bad call hadn't happened. I would have preferred a clean win. Heck, I wish all bad calls didn't happen. I have a lot of sympathy for the NO team and fans, but in the end that's football. You play your best and take your chances. Sometimes bad calls go against you and sometimes they are a big boost. I'm sure they even out over the long run. But I know that's got to be no solace for the Saints right now.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,538 Senior Member
    @Nrdsb4 - I can't find a link either but it was all over local twitter and fb feeds last night. Not something I can link here. There were two refs who were really close to the play.

I did find this though: (a German news site with 13 pages of comments!)

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/nfl/1901/Artikel/new-orleans-saints-los-angeles-rams-skandal-entscheidung-nfc-championship-game.html
  • Time2ShineTime2Shine Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    The NFL is investigating multiple incidents of a laser being pointed at Tom Brady's face during the Chiefs game.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,752 Senior Member
    Now ESPN is talking about having a ref in every game in the booth to just review what we see on TV to let the refs know to throw the flag... Sorta what I was saying before.
  • bhs1978bhs1978 Registered User Posts: 644 Member
    I would rather have a no call than a blatant missed call. AKA the roughing the passer call against the Chiefs on Tom Brady which extended the Patriots drive ultimately giving them a score.

There are bad calls and missed calls all throughout a game. Saying that only one specific missed call or bad call was the sole reason is ridiculous.
    I also believe each team should get a possession. They already set the clock for 15 minutes. If the first team with the ball scores then they should kick off and the other team goes. After each team has possession then the sudden death comes in.

The only way both teams should not get possession is if the first team runs down the entire 15 minutes and scores on the last second which is highly unlikely.

Someone above said that gives the advantage to the second team. That's where the coin toss comes into play. If the team who wins the coin toss feels that's an advantage then they can defer to have the ball second. As it stands now the coin toss plays much too important of a role in deciding the outcome of a game.
    edited January 22
    AKA the roughing the passer call against the Chiefs on Tom Brady which extended the Patriots drive ultimately giving them a score.

Say what? You mean there is not a league rule that you cannot even touch St. Tom? :D
  • Time2ShineTime2Shine Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    bluebayou wrote:
    Say what? You mean there is not a league rule that you cannot even touch St. Tom?

Well....he is the greatest quarterback to ever play the game....

That made up for all the pass interference non-calls on Kansas City.
  • ScipioScipio Registered User Posts: 8,844 Senior Member
    "I also believe each team should get a possession. They already set the clock for 15 minutes. If the first team with the ball scores then they should kick off and the other team goes. After each team has possession then the sudden death comes in.".

That is the current rule for NFL playoff games. Currently both teams must have possessed the ball in playoff overtime for the sudden death to kick in. The exception to this is if the first team to possess the ball scores a touchdown. Then the game is over. The purpose of this rule is to prevent crucial playoff games to be decided by a team winning the coin toss, running a couple of plays, and then kicking a field goal. The first team has to at least take all the way to the endzone for sudden death apply before both teams have possessed the ball.
    I believe both teams should possess the ball before sudden death regardless of how they scored, what they scored or if they scored. Both teams should have the chance to use their offense and their defense. The current rule stinks and does give too much power to the coin toss.

In baseball should a team who scores in the top of the tenth automatically win or does the other team get their chance in the bottom of the tenth? I think we all know the answer to that.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 3,070 Senior Member
    In baseball should a team who scores in the top of the tenth automatically win or does the other team get their chance in the bottom of the tenth? I think we all know the answer to that.

Ya, but the complaint in baseball is that the game goes on too long. Also, in baseball, the pitcher/catcher combo controls most of the game. Football, it takes all 11 men working together, hopefully.

I wanted KC to win, but rules are rules. KC's defense stunk all season. If KC had a good defense, then they could have just stopped them. And didn't someone post that it's essentially a 50/50 proposition, the winner of the coin flip winning the game?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 75,529 Senior Member
    sushiritto wrote:
    And didn't someone post that it's essentially a 50/50 proposition, the winner of the coin flip winning the game?

No, it is more like the first possession wins about 54% of the overtime games that do not end in a tie.