right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

A NFL running playoff thread

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• sushirittosushiritto 4534 replies17 threads Senior Member
    Well, I liked the Michael Buble commercial.

The game was awful. Goff is/was terrible. McVay was no offensive genius. Gurley-gate reminds me of the Malcolm Butler thing from a couple years ago. Seriously, I can run faster than Gronk. How are Gronk and Edelman always open?

The lowest viewing audience in 10 years. We almost switched and watched (on tape) the Man U-Arsenal EPL game. It was very close.

· Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 39508 replies2175 threads Super Moderator
    We flew back from Florida yesterday. Our layover in Atlanta was from 5:30 to 9:00, so we got to see a lot of the game at the airport, only 11 miles from the stadium. There were a surprising number of Pats fans in the pub.

I paid $15.99 to get Wifi on the flight from Atlanta to Maine. Of course there were LOTS of New England fans on the plane. The video streaming worked very poorly, so I saw only a few plays and then some still shots. Here's the funny thing - our son in Beirut was watching the game and continually texted me updates on the score! So I found out how the game was going from halfway across the world. :) At the end of the game, I announced to my fellow passengers that we had won. I agree it wasn't a great game, but I will never forget it!
    · Reply · Share
  • STEM2017STEM2017 4102 replies96 threads Senior Member
    When the commercials and the half-time show become more important and entertaining than the game, it's over.

It's over.
    · Reply · Share
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad 6202 replies163 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2019
    Thought the game was an exciting chess match. Excellent well deserved outcome. Belichick does it again. A defensive masterpiece. Also, I've never seen so much punting excellence in a single game all around. There was one punt where Matthew Slater beat the ball down the field and stopped it at the one yard line as though he were fielding a ground ball.

Just before halftime with the Pats ahead 3-0, a tremendous Rams punt had the Patriots on their own 2 with something like 15 seconds. Brady struggled to find space to take a knee and let the clock run out. But the Rams still had timeouts left. They should have called a time out. The Pats would have had to run a play, with no kneeldown options against that Rams line. The result could have easily been a safety. Then the insurmountable 10 point lead at the end of the game would have been a more palatable 8 point lead. This was a huge coaching mistake in my opinion.

I should also point out that the Rams lone FG was an unlikely 52 yard attempt just after a 14 yard Patriots sack seemingly put the Rams out of FG range. The Rams never got into the Red Zone.

This is one for the ages that I enjoyed start to finish.
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
    A game a punter's dad could only love. :))
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5855 replies1 threads Senior Member
    "A game a punter's dad could only love."

At one point I did wonder how the number of punts in this game compared to the total number of punts that either of these punters had kicked during the entire regular season.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23646 replies17 threads Senior Member
    Goff did look lost. I can only imagine how tough is would be to fail this spectacularly in front of such a huge audience. Perhaps one consolation is that we all knew going into the game that he was a very young

Remember that Elway was blown out in his first two Superbowls, and he came back to win two and is considered a pretty good player. I think Goff will live to play another game. He doesn't call or adjust his own plays yet and relies on the bench to call them in. That's when the inexperience comes in.

How does Gronk get open? He doesn't. He's double and triple teamed all the time. He's just huge.
    · Reply · Share
  • ScipioScipio 8480 replies478 threads Senior Member
    It was one of those games where it looked like neither team was capable of winning it.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17223 replies163 threads Senior Member
    What a snoozefest. Quit watching after the 3rd quarter ended and listened to an audiobook.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 27010 replies175 threads Senior Member
    How does Gronk get open? He doesn't. He's double and triple teamed all the time. He's just huge.

Yup, and that catch down at the two, was just a perfect throw. Gronk was well covered, but the ball dropped right into his hands over his shoulder.

OTOH, Edelman was not targeted in the 4th bcos he too was double covered as the Rams finally made some defensive adjustments to keep him from getting open.

Personally, would not have voted Edelman for MVP since he was quiet in the key scoring drives late in the game. My vote would be for Brady.
    · Reply · Share
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough 9243 replies32 threads Senior Member
    On a day that the defense limits the 2nd-highest scoring team in the league to 3 points, I think a defensive player should have gotten the MVP.

I would have chosen Gilmore - five tackles, an interception, three passes defensed and a forced fumble.
    · Reply · Share
    I would have given the MVP trophy to Travis Scott. And how in the world do you not have Migos there. They're literally from the Atlanta, GA area. Sorry, I'm railing against the sad game and the NFL.

· Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4184 replies92 threads Senior Member
    Thought the game was an exciting chess match

as a guy who just finished running a big chess tournament last week, you're insulting the game of chess.... :))
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56224 replies2930 threads Senior Member
    And how in the world do you not have Migos there. They're literally from the Atlanta, GA area. Sorry, I'm railing against the sad game and the NFL.
    No need to rail against the NFL. There were lots of parties and concerts and Migos was in attendance.

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/news-culture-articles/migos-21-savage-ludacris-pay-homage-to-atlanta-in-super-bowl-weekend-kickoff-concert/
    · Reply · Share
    The crowd during Migos’s set was the biggest and most engaged both in person and on the live stream. (TV personality Terrence J told fans inside State Farm Arena that millions of people were watching the show online, but at its peak, the stream had around 20,000 viewers.)

I didn't know anything about the EA Sports performance Thursday night. Seems most of the country didn't either. :))
    · Reply · Share
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough 9243 replies32 threads Senior Member
    And how in the world do you not have Migos there. They're literally from the Atlanta, GA area.
    There's literally no winning scenario for stuff like this. No matter who is chosen, no matter how politically or socially or culturally correct you try to be in selecting artists to perform, some percentage of people will choose to be offended, and take to social media where they rabble-rouse about it and try to foment dissension.

People were throwing shade at Gladys Knight, for pete's sake. It's absurd. Twitter is the worst.
    · Reply · Share
    Agree, @notrichenough Seems these days almost everyone looks for a reason to be offended. That said, Migos WAS there. There were several concerts prior to game day.
    · Reply · Share
    "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" :D
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2019
    20,000+ people heard this “sound”, per that article. And that doesn't count the people IN the arena! ;)

https://www.ajc.com/blog/music/super-bowl-ludacris-migos-concert-state-farm-arena-will-stream-twitter/9hZhnPt6RpJkC3qEn747NL/
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity