right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

A NFL running playoff thread

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• sushirittosushiritto 5211 replies20 threads Senior Member
    His mind is a weapon

Thanks that was LOL funny. His mind is a weapon, ya, hmmm, uh huh. Well, he’s no Norman Schwarzkopf. I’m not sure there’s much going up there between the ears. But hey, he can sure throw a football.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24558 replies19 threads Senior Member
    NFL network replayed all the superbowls in January, but of course replayed all the Brady games many time. It was apparent how young he was in those first games with ALL the plays coming in from the sidelines and some big mistakes. He's a lot better now, no question. The great gift to announcing, Tony Romo, was pointing out that Goff and Mahommes are still young and not calling plays from scrimmage like Brady is after he sees how the defense lines up.

No question he's good, but I think Belichick is the key.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 6641 replies148 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2019
    The strength of Brady’s smarts is relative to NFL QBs of course.

I’m not saying he could get into BC. Or Ohio State by any stretch.

But he was smart enough for Michigan which is good. :-??
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
    And before anyone loses it regarding the Michigan reference, it was joke with @sushiritto who is a Michigan fan or alum. And he doesn’t like Tom Brady very much. Michigan hates OSU and I’m a BC fan, so I threw that in for fun too.
    · Reply · Share
    Disclosing my bias. I’m not an alum, but one of my kids attends UM.

And while I think he’s the most accomplished QB of this era, I’m not one of those sports fans who compares athletes of different eras and says one is better than the other. You won’t hear any Jordan vs. LeBron nonsense from me. Different era, different rules.

And every time I walk into M Den in AA, purveyor of all things Wolverine, I always lift my leg and pretend to pee on TB10’s jersey. :))
    · Reply · Share
    TB 10 isn’t that great. TB12 is though.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 27891 replies196 threads Senior Member
    His mind is a weapon...

Now, that's a reason to call for a national emergency. Anything to get TB to retire. :D
    · Reply · Share
    Can we change the subject to Joe Flacco, or why Elway, a former QB, can’t seem to find or draft a decent QB, since himself. Anything but more TB conversation. BTW, I’m not counting Manning who was on the downside of his career.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2019
    You were cracking earlier on Tom Brady’s intellect and I think you have answered your own question. Why would Elway be a Mensa candidate. Too many sacks. Too many helicopter runs.

You need a non player gm. Ozzie took Flacco in Baltimore and now another player takes him in Denver. I think players look at him as tall and pretty athletic being able to throw it 80 yds in the air.

Perhaps he will be good in Denver. Like a plunkett to Oakland or rivers. Baltimore’s offensive design sucks. Receivers aren’t physical and it’s defensive minded team top to bottom. Problem is ed Reed and Ray Lewis retired.
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • dazedandbemuseddazedandbemused 123 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Manning's first 3 seasons with the Broncos were *amazing*, especially 2013. He fell off a cliff his 4th/last year when all the injuries and time caught up to him, but it was so much fun to watch him in 2012-2014, when it was anyone's guess if he would be able to play at all after his neck and back surgeries.

The Broncos quarterback situation post-Manning has been fun to follow. Maybe Flacco will surprise us.
    · Reply · Share
    I'll just leave this right here

Different era, different rules. No more Jack “They call me assassin” Tatum’s or Ronnie Lott’s out there anymore patrolling the backfield, for example.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2019
    And no more you play for one team your whole career and your receiver corps is different every year with salary caps, and those new fangled defensive ends that run 4.4 40s and linebackers who can run down receivers. Defensive backs who are bigger than some of the lineman in the 70s
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
    speaking of smarts, did y'all know that Peyton graduated Phi Beta Kappa at Tennessee?
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2019
    Everyone is bigger and faster, but that doesn’t matter when you can’t touch anyone anymore. The PI call back in the old days was 15 yards. not only are the rules more strict with touching receivers (no cares anymore Saints fans), but you can get 50 yards for the PI. TD’s are so much easier nowadays. TB got a roughing call in the SB and the defender didn’t even touch him. :))

Manning is smart. And a good actor too. TB not so much. Did you see him in his guest cameo in Ted 2. Whoofa!
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
    I’ve got more important things on my mind. Like is Bryce Harper coming to the SF Giants? [-O<
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82767 replies738 threads Senior Member
    sushiritto wrote:
    TB got a roughing call in the SB and the defender didn’t even touch him.

Manning is smart. And a good actor too. TB not so much.

Wouldn't getting a roughing the passer penalty called on a defender who did not touch him be an example of good acting?
    · Reply · Share
  • Time2ShineTime2Shine 215 replies12 threads Junior Member
    sushiritto wrote:
    Different era, different rules. No more Jack “They call me assassin” Tatum’s or Ronnie Lott’s out there anymore patrolling the backfield, for example.

Tom Brady has done more with less than any other QB in the history of the NFL. You can make all the excuses you want. He's been to 4 of the last 5 Super Bowls after his 36th birthday, and he won 3 of them. He's not done. He'll win a 7th to earn the Patriots the most Super Bowl wins of any franchise. I agree that Belichick is the key, but he stays on the sidelines and Brady makes the plays.
    · Reply · Share
    Defensive backs who are bigger than some of the lineman in the 70s...

Saw an interview with Fred Dwyer -- one of the Fearsome Foursome on the Rams when they played Steelers in '79 SB. Fred was an all-Pro DE at 6'6" and played at 235 lbs. Smaller than some LB's today.
    · Reply · Share
    235. That’s a safety.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity