right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

A NFL running playoff thread

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• sushirittosushiritto 4539 replies17 threads Senior Member
    I’m willing to concede that TB was better than the 6 QB’s taken before him in the 2000 Draft, since they all competed in the same era. Although I’m still kinda waffling about Spergon Wynn also taken in the 6th round just before TB. I mean the guy did start 3 games and throw 1 TD pass in his career. =))
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5785 replies84 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2019
    That’s funny @sushiritto Good pull. Hell of a name too, Spergon.

What would the nickname be in the locker room. Every player seems to have one. Just add an “e” or “ey” to the last name.
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • droppeditdroppedit 1035 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Good to see some trash talking in here! I'll chime in with this: I don't think that Brady or Belichick are individually GOATs but it's the unique combination of the two that definitely is. There's no denying it. They have been the constants through all the wins. Same with Walsh+Montana+Rice. Above all those, you have Saban at Bama. He, alone, has been the constant there. These core people have the ability to point everyone else in the same direction and demand excellence, and the results are like magic.

The same thing works in business, too. You had Gates+Ballmer at MSFT, Jobs at AAPL, and now Musk at Tesla/SpaceX. I remember talking with a guy who had been to one of the infamous Gates meetings and he told me, Gates will review your work ahead of time and come up with probing questions for you ... and you had *better* have good answers or you will get your [rear end] chewed out!

PS. I, unfortunately, apparently have the antidote to the "it factor" I described above. In fact, I hold the World Record in "it factor" antidote. It's really sad ...
    · Reply · Share
    The 49ers tagged K Robbie Gould this morning. The “hot take” on sports radio this AM was now that Gould is tagged, the 49ers trade him to the Bears for a good draft pick, because the Bears are desperate for a K. Gould is 72/75 on FG’s for the 49ers.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 5029 replies22 threads Senior Member
    Aghhhhhhhh..... Having RG would be awesome. Inside sources stated he really wants to come back to Chicago also.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4184 replies92 threads Senior Member
    It seems pretty obvious that by tagging him now instead of at the last minute that talks are going nowhere on a long term contract with the 49ers. The Bears obviously want him, Robbie obviously wants the Bears. The Bears should offer a 6th or 7th rounder and that probably would’ve fair to all sides.
    · Reply · Share
    If I'm the 49ers, there's no chance I'd take a 6th or 7th rounder. I'm thinking at least a 4th or 5th rounder, at least. The guy is like automatic and the Bears just lost a heartbreaker of a playoff game, because of the inaccuracy of their kicker.

Alternatively, Khalil Mack would suffice. :))

Now, I have no idea if the 49ers would trade him, or if Gould is still upset that the Bears let him go in the first place.
    · Reply · Share
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough 9245 replies32 threads Senior Member
    In order to trade him, Gould would have to sign the franchise tag contract, which for a placekicker is just over $5mil this year.

The Bears have only $11mil under the cap, and cannot really afford that kind of hit for a kicker, especially after taking a $5mil+ dead cap hit to cut Parkey. The Bears have only 5 picks in the draft (3rd, 4th, 5th, two 7th) and can ill-afford to give one up for a $5mil kicker.

And why would the 49ers trade Gould, one of the most accurate kickers in NFL history? They have around $75mil in cap space and can easily afford $5mil for a kicker. They would want to get something much better than a 7th back, and the Bears can't really do it.

I'd be shocked if the Bears wind up with Gould, they have more pressing needs. There are some decent kickers available as free agents, I'm sure they can get one for cheap.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17232 replies163 threads Senior Member
    Manning is smart. And a good actor too.

I love Peyton Manning. He is so funny. I LOVED his SNL United Way skit so much...
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23654 replies17 threads Senior Member
    ^^So you can just ignore his tea bagging an athletic trainer and ruining her career (mostly because his father couldn't keep his mouth shut after everyone agreed to a disposition)?

Not perfect in my mind.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2019
    I believe you can trade a franchise-tagged player and he doesn't have to be under contract.

Why would the 49ers trade Gould? They have SO MANY other needs and believe they can find another kicker off the scrap heap. Why would the Bears want Gould? They love Gould and Gould wants to come home.

It was a radio show "hot take" this morning, so take it for what it's worth.
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2019
    BTW, the Raider were so dumb for not trading Mack to the 49ers. The Raiders could have had the #2 pick in this draft plus whatever else they were willing to give up. Supposedly, the 49ers trade offer exceeded the Bears, but Davis (most ridiculous haircut ever) didn't want to trade with the 49ers because of the cross town rivalry, even though they only play once every 4 years or whatever, although they did play against one another in 2018.
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
    I believe you can trade a franchise-tagged player and he doesn't have to be under contract.
    You can't trade a franchise-tagged player specifically because he *isn't* under contract. That player is technically a free agent who can negotiate a deal with other teams, and his original team has an opportunity to match. If they choose to let the player go, the original team gets *two* first-round draft picks (if it's the non-exclusive tag, which Gould's is), which is such a high price that I don't believe it has ever happened.

And teams don't typically want to have players play under the tag because it is very expensive.

So what normally happens is the acquiring team will negotiate a new deal with the tagged player, then negotiate a trade to the original team. The player will then sign the franchise offer and immediately get traded, and everyone is happy. No team wants to trade for a player who will play under the tag, and the player doesn't want to play under the tag either, so they won't sign the tag unless there's a new deal in place.

Chicago would have to offer a deal at least as good as the one they gave Parkey last year in order for Gould to give up the $5mil guaranteed under the tag. It could happen, but I don't see it. There are cheaper options available like Dan Bailey, or they could bring in a bunch of UFAs and have a competition in camp.

· Reply · Share
    Supposedly, the 49ers trade offer exceeded the Bears,
    Shefter reported that the Bears offered the most.

And the trade happened before Garapollo blew out his knee, so at the time of the trade I'm sure no one expected the 49er's first pick to be #2 overall. I think most pundits had the 49ers winning the division and finishing better than the Bears. I don't think many expected the Bears to turn it around that quickly, so at the time their 1sts seemed better than the 49ers'.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2019
    OK, after googling a bit, you're correct about trading a player under a tag.

Everyone is these parts believe the 49ers offered the best trade package:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2018/11/20/john-lynch-says-49ers-offered-more-than-the-bears-for-khalil-mack/#1917551043c0

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/one-team-apparently-topped-the-bears-offer-for-khalil-mack-but-the-raiders-turned-it-down/

And few, if any, believed the 49ers would be any better than 8-8, if not 7-9. The whole 5-game winning streak at the end of the prior year with Jimmy G. was thought to be mirage. The 49ers were definitely a bottom half team. And the Bears were thought of as a team on the rise. In any event, the 49ers deal would have been better 20/20 hindsight. Raiders could have had that #2 pick plus. Lynch wanted Mack bad.
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
    From one of those articles:
    For one, it's possible the Raiders believed the Bears' first-round picks would be "worth" more because they were supposed to be worse than the 49ers this year. With Jimmy Garoppolo under center, the 49ers were widely viewed as a potential playoff contender, while the Bears were picked by most people to finish in third or fourth place.
    Lynch didn't give the actual details of the 49ers' offer, just nebulous statements like he "believed" his offer was better. So who knows.

But you're right that if the 49ers' offer was better, then the Raiders were stupid, which is business as usual for them. They were stupid to trade Mack in the first place! It's one thing if they were in the same division, that cross-town rivalry stuff is absurd.
    · Reply · Share
    Al Davis always hated the 49ers and I guess that hate has carried over to Mark Davis.
    · Reply · Share
    I guess that hate has carried over to Mark Davis.
    Probably, he doesn't strike me as someone who's ever had an original thought in his life.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 27014 replies175 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2019
    the Raiders were stupid

hey now, those are hurtful words. :-)

But everything looks better with 20:20 hindsight. JimmyG was coming off a strong finish in '17. Besides the Rams, the NFC west was looking weak, so the assumption is that the Niners would have a good season. (Can't plan on him going down in Sept.) And Da' Bears would be Da' Bears. Good D, but not a playoff-worthy QB. (Hadn't had one in 40 years, so why think '18 would be any different?)

But, also with 20:20 hindsight, Gruden shoulda traded Derek Carr and kept Mack. He's a rare talent. (But like JimmyG, only one play from being out for a season.)

Let's get back to bashing Brady. :D
    edited February 2019
    · Reply · Share
    Let's get back to bashing Brady.

^^^A man or women after my own heart. I love this person! =(( :))
    Probably, he doesn't strike me as someone who's ever had an original thought in his life.

But can we talk about that haircut? OMG!

Carr may still be traded. Lots of QB needy teams and personally I'm really digging on Kyler Murray for the 49ers. There's a part of me that says draft Murray, sit him under Jimmy G. for a year and since most of Jimmy's money is front-loaded, either trade or release him. It's the daredevil in me. And no, he's not Shanahan's type of QB either. But have you watched those OU games? And he really came on in the 2nd half of the Bama game.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity