Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A NFL running playoff thread

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• notrichenoughnotrichenough Registered User Posts: 9,058 Senior Member
    Well, that was a game only a Patriots fan could love, but I'll take it!

Defense wins championships, and the Pats had a game plan that completely stymied the 2nd-ranked offense of 2018. This was a team that scored more than the 1999 "Greatest Show of Turf" Super Bowl winners, and they got shut. down.

I loved the shot near the end of McVay, and he had this blank, 1000-yard stare on his face.

And what is up with Gurley? He claims he's not injured, the team claims he's not injured, but he's played like the 5th string running back since the beginning of December.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    It was a strange game that no one expected. Brady got some throws in when he needed to. Hats off to both defenses.

I would not be surprised if we learn in the next few days that Gurley is having surgery on something like his knee..... Maybe he should put something out there anyway if he's not hurt like doing a rehabilitation program. That is not his best at all.
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Registered User Posts: 9,058 Senior Member
    I would not be surprised if we learn in the next few days that Gurley is having surgery on something like his knee
    He hasn't been on the injury report for a month, so if that's the case, the Rams have some 'splaining to do.

#InjuryReportGate

B-)
  • ScipioScipio Registered User Posts: 8,912 Senior Member
    WORST. SUPERBOWL. EVER!

That was football played soccer-style: ineffective offenses that turned scoring into a seemingly-impossible task. Pro soccer fans should have loved it.
  • TheBigChefTheBigChef Registered User Posts: 482 Member
    Goff looked absolutely lost out there.
  • momtogkcmomtogkc Registered User Posts: 653 Member
    Such a boring game but I liked the outcome. If Gronk does retire at least he is going out on a high note. Edelman was great. I almost considered driving the 3 hours to Disney today to see the parade but I am too lazy for that!
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,552 Senior Member
    nfl100 - best commercial of the dat. But, only one nit for actual reality: Franco shoulda caught that ball off the floor!
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,495 Senior Member
    The Patriots dynasty continues. :)) :))
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 5,060 Senior Member
    I found the game very exciting.

I realize that not everyone finds defense exciting. However, I was very aware going into this game how strong both offenses are. It is almost unthinkable that both defenses would be able to keep the other team out of the end zone through the middle of the fourth quarter. We say a very impressive defensive performance from both teams.

Goff did look lost. I can only imagine how tough is would be to fail this spectacularly in front of such a huge audience. Perhaps one consolation is that we all knew going into the game that he was a very young quarterback going against the greatest head coach in the history of football. This has to at least explain the pain. I expect that he will learn a lot from this experience and be that much stronger in the future.

Going in I was skeptical about all this talk about "experience". After the fact, given how well both defenses played and how close the game was, I am thinking that experience might very well have made the difference.

I am wondering whether the Patriots dynasty has one more good year left, or if we just saw the end of it. It has been a very impressive run.
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 2,622 Senior Member
    edited February 4
    Much will depend upon the Patriots' replacement for Brian Flores, its defensive coordinator, who is leaving to take the head coaching job of the Miami Dolphins.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 3,183 Senior Member
    Well, I liked the Michael Buble commercial.

The game was awful. Goff is/was terrible. McVay was no offensive genius. Gurley-gate reminds me of the Malcolm Butler thing from a couple years ago. Seriously, I can run faster than Gronk. How are Gronk and Edelman always open?

The lowest viewing audience in 10 years. We almost switched and watched (on tape) the Man U-Arsenal EPL game. It was very close.

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,132 Super Moderator
    We flew back from Florida yesterday. Our layover in Atlanta was from 5:30 to 9:00, so we got to see a lot of the game at the airport, only 11 miles from the stadium. There were a surprising number of Pats fans in the pub.

I paid $15.99 to get Wifi on the flight from Atlanta to Maine. Of course there were LOTS of New England fans on the plane. The video streaming worked very poorly, so I saw only a few plays and then some still shots. Here's the funny thing - our son in Beirut was watching the game and continually texted me updates on the score! So I found out how the game was going from halfway across the world. :) At the end of the game, I announced to my fellow passengers that we had won. I agree it wasn't a great game, but I will never forget it!
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 4,073 Senior Member
    When the commercials and the half-time show become more important and entertaining than the game, it's over.

It's over.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,365 Senior Member
    edited February 4
    Thought the game was an exciting chess match. Excellent well deserved outcome. Belichick does it again. A defensive masterpiece. Also, I've never seen so much punting excellence in a single game all around. There was one punt where Matthew Slater beat the ball down the field and stopped it at the one yard line as though he were fielding a ground ball.

Just before halftime with the Pats ahead 3-0, a tremendous Rams punt had the Patriots on their own 2 with something like 15 seconds. Brady struggled to find space to take a knee and let the clock run out. But the Rams still had timeouts left. They should have called a time out. The Pats would have had to run a play, with no kneeldown options against that Rams line. The result could have easily been a safety. Then the insurmountable 10 point lead at the end of the game would have been a more palatable 8 point lead. This was a huge coaching mistake in my opinion.

I should also point out that the Rams lone FG was an unlikely 52 yard attempt just after a 14 yard Patriots sack seemingly put the Rams out of FG range. The Rams never got into the Red Zone.

This is one for the ages that I enjoyed start to finish.