Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A NFL running playoff thread

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,454 Senior Member
    Blame it on CBS, not the NFL. CBS showed what they wanted to show. I wanted to see the roof close but NOOOO, had to go to commercial. I'd prefer to skip the 'big' music acts and have a marching bank for halftime but they aren't trying to lure me as a viewer, they know I'm going to watch for the football.

They had some great acts playing at the 'official' tailgate, where the team owners got to invite anyone they wanted to food and entertainment.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 3,172 Senior Member
    edited February 4
    Poor planning by the NFL. Seriously, 20,000 fans streaming for Migos is like a drop in a bucket. But if they would have performed at halftime, maybe the rest of the world could have seen them. Carpool Karaoke with Migos and James Corden has 31,000,000 views.

I watch plenty of TV, including plenty of sports, and I didn't hear them advertise the Thursday night concert/stream once.

Performing at halftime would have been far better than Maroon 5 IMO, but probably not palatable to the older audience. No complaints from me about Gladys Knight though. :))
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,227 Senior Member
    There were plenty, PLENTY of concerts, free and not free, this weekend. The bigger names made it to the Sunday event. Regardless, they did participate inthe weekend activities. Doubt CBS had rights to air the Saturday concert. Not sure, but it was aired in other ways. There were its of ancillary activities this weekend. Free concert in Olympic park, Shaq hosted a circus type event at the Braves stadium. Lots and lots of events. Oh yea.. there was a football game too....
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    hate to bring this back up, but this is good therapy for me (I'm still bitter about this)...Cody Parkey is going to get released by the Bears. His publicist basically cost him millions for doing a human interest story. If he would have just kept his head down a la Steve Bartman and worked his butt off in the off-season, things probably would have blown over and he would still have a job. Now, it's unlikely he'll ever be employed in the NFL again.

Now if only the 49ers would cooperate and let Robbie Gould go, the Bears would be golden.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,937 Senior Member
    So there is a video of some kicker hitting a 70 yard field goal on you tube. Bears fans are all over it!
    The rumor here is that the 49ers will “franchise tag” Gould and then workout a longer term deal with him. Sorry he is ours.

Some team will pickup Parkey. And there are always injuries and replacement kickers are needed. Chicago is a tough town.
  • dazedandbemuseddazedandbemused Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    I think Kyle Shanahan is the most exciting offensive mind in the NFL right now and have been patiently waiting to see what he can do with the 49ers if he can make it through a season without a pile of devastating injuries and with a competent quarterback. Would like to see them pick up another good wide receiver, fill in some holes in defense, and why are they taking so long to tag and sign Gould?
  • tpike12tpike12 Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    Suck it Saints fans. Vikings fans have long memories and remember you telling us that one call doesn’t change the outcome of a game.
    I’m not an expert, but the 49ers have until March 5th and I think they’re trying to workout a contract right now so they won’t have to tag him. They very rarely tag players and I’d guess they view it as antagonizing the player. They don’t want a Le’Veon Bell situation to arise.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,571 Senior Member
    edited February 23
    @dazedandbemused

Kyle Shanahan? I was sitting in back of his dad when the Falcons played the Patriots in the Super Bowl. He left with 5 minutes to go in the game. It seems that Josh McDaniel was calling a pretty good game that day. And the last two years as well. Kyles good but until he beats Josh he can’t be considered the best.

Heck even in the loss to the Eagles. Brady threw for over 500 yards with Edelman out for the year and Gronk busted up. Chris hogan and some backs. That’s coaching.
  • dazedandbemuseddazedandbemused Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    edited February 23
    Josh McDaniels without Brady and Belichick to hide behind was a complete mess - see the Broncos. Kyle didn't need to beat Josh, Kyle needed to beat Belichick. The defense, not the offense, lost the Falcons that SB - they completely fell apart, could not protect the lead at the end. Didn't look like any of the teams looking for a new head coach wanted Josh this time around, so not sure he's viewed as brilliant or trustworthy enough (see the Colts) to gamble on as a leader. McDaniels will probably be the next Patriots head coach, so it will be interesting to see what he can do without Brady, who is starting to show his age.
    edited February 23
    I think with the receivers the falcons chiefs and rams have the pats offense would have thrown for 1000 yards that day.

And I never said Josh was a great head coach. You said “best offensive mind” not best head coach.

And yes Brady is 42 and the receivers aren’t even all pro level. So you are making the point for me.
    edited February 23
    I don’t know who’s the better coach, but as a 49ers fan, I’m thrilled “we” have Shanahan as the coach. I’d much rather have him than Daniels, especially after he screwed over the Colts. Daniels has already been a failure as HC with Denver.

As the Falcons OC, Shanahan made Matt Ryan into a Pro Bowl QB (I think he declined) and the Falcons offense into one of the top NFL offenses. Look where the Falcons have fallen since Shanahan left. Shanahan expressed regret for his play calling in the Super Bowl. Heck, Jim Harbaugh’s play calling on that final drive in the 49ers’ Super Bowl against the Ravens sucked as well. How about Seattle’s (Darrell Bevell) play call at the goal line against the Patriots a few years ago. Seattle gave away that Super Bowl to the Patriots by not handing off to Marshawn Lynch at the 1.

We all have crappy games, where we’ve played or coached poorly. It happens. But Shanahan’s offense made UDFA Nick Mullens look very, very good last year, after Jimmy G. went down. Daniels has Brady. 8-|
    I’m just having a little fun. Shanahan is great. McDaniel’s is obviously excellent. It’s like ranking colleges. Who’s better? I dunno. Both good.

And always liked SF and wish the team well. Also Jimmy G.

Never understood why SF people wouldn’t love Brady. He’s a hometown kid. Excellent role model. Loves his family who still live there and his old coaches from that area. He was a Joe and Steve Superfan and still is. I would love it if a local kid around our area became TB.
    edited February 23
    Ah come on privatebanker, I can do without starting another 20 pages on why we don’t like TB around here, :))

But how’s this for a different angle on TB, how pompous does the guy have to be to think his TB12 Purple Carrot meals are meals designed for performance? =))

OK, GO!