Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A NFL running playoff thread

1192021222325»

Replies to: A NFL running playoff thread

• notrichenoughnotrichenough Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    There's a part of me that says draft Murray, sit him under Jimmy G. for a year and since most of Jimmy's money is front-loaded, either trade or release him. It's the daredevil in me.
    Fun to think about, but the 49ers have too many other needs to spend the #2 overall on a qb, when they already have a good qb. If Bosa falls to #2, they will take him, or trade back and get a few more picks since they only have 5 picks in this draft.

And while y'all are bashing Brady, ponder the fact that NE has 12 picks in this draft, including 6 in the first 3 rounds. They will be able to reload for another run next year and the year after, after which Brady may finally show the effects of age and they will need to find a new qb.

• bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,301 Senior Member
    But can we talk about that haircut?

Did you know that Mark pays top dollar for that style? Mark's barber is Palm Springs and Mark flies down there every so often for his trim.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,301 Senior Member
    edited February 26
    NE has 12 picks in this draft, including 6 in the first 3 rounds.

Anyone wanna opine on whether Bellicheck would have resigned Mack at $90M guaranteed (assuming he was drafted by the Pats)? I'd bet not.

And if not, hard to criticize the Raiders.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Fun to think about, but the 49ers have too many other needs to spend the #2 overall on a qb, when they already have a good qb. If Bosa falls to #2, they will take him, or trade back and get a few more picks since they only have 5 picks in this draft.

I agree, but I REALLY like Murray! I can't wait to see what his 40 time will be at the combine this week. And he's allegedly add some muscle and pounds.
    And while y'all are bashing Brady, ponder the fact that NE has 12 picks in this draft, including 6 in the first 3 rounds. They will be able to reload for another run next year and the year after, after which Brady may finally show the effects of age and they will need to find a new qb.

Well, let's hope they swing and miss on every one of those 12 picks. Pats should send the Niners a 4th or 5th our way and we'll send them Nick Mullens or even CJ Beathard as their new capable backup for next year. :D
    Khalil Mack went #5 in the first round.

The Patriots, in the Belichick era, once had #6, and had only three other picks higher than #21. It is very difficult to find that generational player like Mack when you are always drafting at the bottom of the first round. So it's difficult to say if he would ever pony up that kind of money for a talent like Mack, because he's never had one on defense.

On offense, he's had Gronk and Brady as what I would call generational talents. Gronk got a top-of-market deal and is still near the top, even with the significant injury risk Gronk has. Brady has always taken a few mil per year under market, which the team has spent upgrading other players, and you can't argue with the results. If he put their feet to the fire and wanted top dollar a la Rodgers or Manning? They would have paid up, there would be no choice.

His philosophy is generally to not go for superstars, but instead go for depth, so chances are he wouldn't have shelled out for Mack. The Patriots spend close to the cap every year, though, and have never had the $70-100 mil in cap space that the Raiders have had the last few years. With that kind of money to spend, I would think the Pats would be a lot more willing to give out a top-of-market contract or two.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,035 Senior Member
    Jimmy G is tall. Murray is short. Really short. It is hard for teams to have plans for both types of QB. For Murray, the linemen would have to duck to get out of the way.
    NE has 12 picks in this draft, including 6 in the first 3 rounds.

They'll trade them. He always does.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 3,870 Senior Member
    @twoinanddone

Jimmy G is tall? IRL sure. NFL QB no.

Listed at 6 2. Actually a bit less in person. Taller than Brees much less so than Brady Rivers Newton Flacco

Mark Magwire’s brother was tall for. QB.
    They'll trade them. He always does.
    You're probably right. It's very frustrating.
    They aren't sure Murray is going to measure 5'10".
    edited February 27
    Russell Wilson is only 5’11”. Height schmeight.

Murray seemed to play well in the CFP semi against Bama, and Bama typically has lots of NFL-type quality players. He should be the fastest QB in history, since he’s supposedly run a 4.3 around 2-3 years ago. He may break the combine record of 4.22.

Bias: I’m enamored with track speed. :x
    If Murray comes in at 5'10" (and I think he's only 5'9") he is closer to my height of 5'7" than to Jimmy G. And I'm a girl. Sometimes size does matter. Ask Doug Flutie.

Julian Edelman was a QB but switched to receiver. He's fast but short. He's 5'10"
    This news just in. Kyler Murray measures 5’10 1/8” and 207 lbs.

I don’t think Murray would switch to receiver, if asked. Before that would ever happen, he would play baseball instead.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,013 Senior Member
    lol the Bears signed a replacement kicker for Cody Parkey named Blewitt....
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,736 Senior Member
    That makes 2 after Parkey officially gets cut mid March. Now they have 2 kickers with no NFL experience. Seems like an upgrade from Parkey to me.......
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,013 Senior Member
    The Blewitt name is as good as the Steelers having a guy named Whimper at OT. Of course the Bears has a TE named Bozo not too long ago (well, actually Boso).