Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need help with a birthday care package

13»

Replies to: Need help with a birthday care package

• WhistlingalWhistlingal Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Thank you for the Garrett link. Managed to get on and see the product. Is it sweet popcorn? We tend to go for the salty with a mix of sweet. Tastes a lot better than it sounds!

I've contact 'nothing but the bundt'. They have a bakery in Memphis. Not sure where they are going for the beach break. Not sure he knows. He is just paying his money and joining in. The Soccer girls are organising it - somewhere on the Florida panhandle he thinks!

Love the idea of the pizza gift card - if I could find out where I think that would work well. Meant to be talking to him tonight but he's full of cold and wants to postpone. I'll just add it to the list of things I will bring up when we do speak to him!!
    @Massmomm Ironically his favourite cake is Betty Crocker's fudge cake made from a mix! Maybe I should just send him a packet of that and he can make his own!!! I can say as I generally have to make my own cake he can keep the family tradition going :))
  • IsoinfoIsoinfo Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I have a Target Red Card, so I get free two-day shipping at Target with a $35 purchase. I've had a lot of luck finding items there that I know my daughters like for their birthdays while they are away at school. Not all food items ship, but many of them do. I find using Target easier than using Amazon for candy/food/snack items as I don't want to subscribe to Amazon Pantry. And other than Amazon Pantry items, most food items at Amazon are for rather large quantities. I've seen the snack packages from Amazon, but they seem to have a lot of items my kids don't like. Also, sometimes around certain holidays, Target offers free shipping to everyone.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 33,767 Senior Member
    There are Pizza Huts and Papa Johns pizza stores throughout most of the US, so those may be good options for a gift card, or just some cash he could use at any place—pizza or ice cream, for example.
  • CAtransplantCAtransplant Registered User Posts: 444 Member
    I asked my daughter what she'd like for her upcoming birthday and she said Insomnia cookies to share with her friends - you can order them to be delivered at a certain time so they'll be fresh/warm. But if he's taking them to the beach, I don't know if they would be as fresh or warm by the time they eat them! Still good I'm sure. I don't know if they have an Insomnia near his school though.
  • az1001az1001 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    I don't know if the OP has made her final decision but some thoughts:

1) If sending a birthday food gift - send before or after spring break to his college. The Florida panhandle is insane for spring break, nothing can reliably be delivered there. Don't even try.

2) Same for "going out for pizza". Again, please reevaluate the circus of spring break. Things are done in very large groups and all restaurants upcharge the college kids. Unless you're prepared to spend several hundred dollars - taking the inevitably large group out for pizza and drinks won't really work.

3) Your son might appreciate being able to use your cc to have pizza delivery to dorm/apartment when he is at school and around his regular group of friends. You can Amazon him birthday plates/napkins/hats ahead of time to make it more festive.

For the uninitiated, check out sites like pcbeachspringbreakdotcom to see all the fun you're missing out on !
  • MarilynMarilyn Registered User Posts: 3,541 Senior Member
    The Garett Mix is a combination of cheddar and caramel popcorn. They also have buttery which is regular salted popcorn, and you can customize a tin with one, two, or three flavors. It’s delicious.

But I agree that relying on timely delivery in the Florida panhandle during spring break could be risky, especially since the area is still recovering from the Hurricane Michael destruction last fall. They do advertise that spring break tourism locales are ok and are actually hoping for those $$ to speed recovery.
    @az1001 Haven't made any final decisions yet. But thanks for your input on the pizza restaurants. Am having to get cake/cookies or whatever delivered to the college before Spring break - birthday on Wednesday, leaving on Monday. Trying to get them delivered to his roommate who has agreed to 'hide' anything bought so that it will be a surprise for him on his birthday.
    If I were to go for the Bundt cake - what is the shelf-life on it, bearing in mind that it would maybe have to be delivered on the Friday or Saturday before? Anyone any ideas? Bundt cake is not a big thing here so not sure - it's a sponge cake isn't it?
  • rphcfbrphcfb Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    @Whistlingal,
    Have you checked to see if your son’s dining hall makes cakes to order? To my surprise, at my D’s uni (medium to large size), people can order cakes. Last year someone in her group ordered a birthday cake from there. It was good according to D and her friends.

Our D‘s birthday is next month, too. We will order cake for her and ask her best friend to pick it up.

If that’s not an option, you could check a local bakery near his college. There is usually a bakery or two near most colleges. If they don’t deliver, maybe a friend who has a car could pick it up for him?
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,141 Senior Member
    edited February 13
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,979 Senior Member
    It is likely that there is a bakery or restaurant near your son's school that specializes in birthday cakes and care packages for students there.

If he's at Dartmouth, there's Lou's. :D I would have a look on Yelp.
13»