right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Our Sons' Experience on Tinder

124»

Replies to: Our Sons' Experience on Tinder

• lookingforwardlookingforward 34550 replies384 threads Senior Member
    edited February 13
    My D's dates via Tinder were ideal, no hook-ups. One took her to an expensive restaurant, 2nd date was the movies. The other to karaoke (not that I ever thought she'd do that. Also coffee dates. This is the one she's still friends with.) But my D can hold her own. And as she worked through the lists, she could see who was an opportunist or goof ball or worse. Not so naive. Didn't need a random hook-up, had plenty of fun in college. But she'd been away on a post grad and wanted to meet guys. She dropped Tinder because the good pickings were slim.

Her fiance was barely employed when she met him on OK Cupid, but they clicked. A lot of laughing, their first phone convo was 3 hours. He lived 50 miles away. Again, first date was a nice dinner out. She came home and said, he's the one. No rustling in the back seat. She had already invited him to meet us.

I just know so many who connected this way, it's the 21st century. You wade through unsuitables, with your head screwed on right. My older friends manufacture a way out, if it's boring. This is not just about kids and hookups, unless that's your only- and superficial- goal. (And if it is, that rustling could happen no matter how you meet.)

No need to suggest I'm unaware of what else went on, this is my TMI kiddo.
    edited February 13
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34550 replies384 threads Senior Member
    Yup, I told mine, once our kids, always our kids. With some respect, of course, as they grow.

And considering some of the odd questions on threads, this one doesn't surprise me.
    · Reply · Share
  • MeddyMeddy 507 replies35 threads Member
    I wish they had room on the profile for the parents. Cause let's be real- I want to be sure their parents are nice people, too
    :-t
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6652 replies140 threads Senior Member
    edited February 13
    ^I don’t know about that. S’s new bf has an unaccepting father he doesn’t even know the precise location of and a not-all-that-enthusiastic mother. Is that a reason to stamp that possibility “reject”? Meh, no.
    edited February 13
    · Reply · Share
  • damon30damon30 1147 replies5 threads Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure the @Meddy comment was sarcasm. (What is that ":-t" emoji? "pouting smiley"?)
    · Reply · Share
  • patsmompatsmom 4216 replies508 threads Senior Member
    @damon30, I think that emoji is a "time out" hand signal. I used to think it was a guy scratching his head with a hammer until I studied it closer!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39065 replies469 threads Senior Member
    edited February 14
    Lol! You are not alone. I was puzzled what scratching with a hammer was supposed to mean... then I saw it was two hands. :)
    edited February 14
    · Reply · Share
  • MeddyMeddy 507 replies35 threads Member
    edited February 14
    Time out. That's what that is. And this is goodbye --> :-h
    edited February 14
    · Reply · Share
  • higgins2013higgins2013 702 replies25 threads Member
    OP here. Wow, some folks infer, then lecture based on assumptions.

Yes, he knows and practices safe sex. That doesn't prevent what's said and done by said partners afterwards.

He's the person who has expressed concerns, after meeting said partners, after more information is presented. We've only met GF1. He's based in a rural area's small city, no alumni group (LAC), no active network of meet-up groups. Not reasonable prospect for him to drive to larger city, nor return to original home city, at this time.

E-harmony site, at least locally there, is a site for older divorced or widowed folks, not immediate post-grads. Not a lot of young college grads in community, period.

Maybe he does need to relocate to Big City.
    · Reply · Share
  • pittsburghscribepittsburghscribe 447 replies14 threads Member
    I thought the emoji guy was holding a razor and shaving his forehead! My eyes are too old for emoji literacy!
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17024 replies159 threads Senior Member
    Lol, I've sent some emojis that were totally inappropriate to the subject matter too. Oops!
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2528 replies9 threads Senior Member
    That's why I stick to smilies, frowns, or "ought oh". I thought that guy had a hammer, too....
    · Reply · Share