right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Recovery and 12 step thread.

Replies to: Recovery and 12 step thread.

• LynnskiLynnski 240 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    My husband's brother shot himself a couple of years ago. Alcohol and a gun, together in one moment that lasts forever.

I'm so very sorry for your AA friend and family.

Thank you for starting this thread. All life is connected.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13305 replies110 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,415 Senior Member
    I'm so sorry, @privatebanker. Such a loss of a promising young life. @Lynnski, you are right. We're all interconnected.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33856 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,243 Senior Member
    So sorry to read about these precious lives lost too soon. Thanks for sharing—hopefully others will get and stick with the help they need.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2785 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,796 Senior Member
    I am so sorry your friend lost a son to suicide.

So much pain!
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 4951 replies61 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,012 Senior Member
    There are wonderful stories of remarkable recovery and rebirth too!

Successful and happy lives rising out from the ashes like the Phoenix.

It happens all the time.
    · Reply · Share
  • Snowball CitySnowball City 1714 replies51 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,765 Senior Member
    I don't know the ins and outs of it but my father in law was able to stop drinking with the help of support groups at the VA. Underlying the drinking was serious PTSD from the Korean War.

My husband said he was a completely different man with the grandchildren vs what they grew up with. All the grandkids adored being around him because he was so present with them in the moment.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 4951 replies61 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,012 Senior Member
    Praying for support for the teens witnessing the trauma and violence out there. It’s a ptsd and suicide cohort. And substance abuse is a big problem.
    · Reply · Share
  • pickledgingerpickledginger 465 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 482 Member
    Major addiction issues in my family . . . my dad was addicted to alcohol, my sister to meth, and my dear young adult niece now addicted to heroin. They were/are intelligent, lively, beautiful people when not under the influence. It is tragic.

I am emphatically not a TV person. However, for me, watching Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab show (on the advice of a friend) was extremely helpful when I was coming to terms with my sister and niece's addictions years ago. Seeing person after person present with variations on the theme helped me move away from a version of the "terminal uniqueness" @privatebanker mentioned. I had the extremely inaccurate idea that no other families had this level of problems, dealt with this level of seemingly self-induced hardship, etc. Getting out of that mindset was very helpful to be and led to me reaching out, being open, and getting support for myself.

Comorbid mental health issues are often in the mix, as well, and can greatly complicate treatment.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 3799 replies284 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,083 Senior Member
    I recently completed my MSW degree. For an alcoholism and addiction class, I visited two 12-step meetings. I was fascinated by the atheist-agnostic AA meeting I attended, since I am a nonbeliever myself. A true fellowship.
    · Reply · Share
    @oldmom4896 yes congrats on the recent achievement! Way to go.

Common misconception is the higher power concept in 12 step programs.

AA is not a religious program. Its oppositional to it in many ways.
    It’s spiritual program. One that helps you rejoin the community of life. A Higher power can be a light bulb or the ocean if you like. As long as you no longer view yourself as the center of it all. The disease is just one example of self will run riot. Mindfulness is key. But also feeling part of bigger universal picture than being completely alone is in a word, comforting. No eternal promises whatsoever.

But scientifically for me at least, we are all stardust and will remain so.

As a MSW. The text of AA or at least Dr William Silkworth’s opinion in the front should be required reading. It’s timeless.

And thank you for joining a profession geared towards helping others. That is totally consistent with the AA process.
    · Reply · Share
    Happy Founders Day - Alcoholics Anonymous !

84 years ago today, Bill Wilson of Dorset, VT met fellow alcoholic Dr William Smith, Akron, Ohio.

The rest is history and millions of lives changed for the better.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28056 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,112 Senior Member
    We have a cousin who has made AA the center of his life. He is a very active member who spends most of his free time working with the organization and those belonging to it. My hat goes off to him and those like him. They are contributing much to society and others in a great way.
    · Reply · Share
  • calla1calla1 1969 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,995 Senior Member
    edited June 12
    Hi, I want to give an update on my niece, and I also have a question. Not good. She is in the medical hospital with a blood alcohol level close to .400. I don't know how she is still alive. I think her liver must not be functioning, even though her labs are in the normal range. I say this because it's been at lease two days since she drank (yes, we are sure), and obviously her body is not metabolizing the alcohol. I'm confused how her liver panel came back normal. Does anyone know how this could be?

She is conscious though feeling terrible and unable to stand. The worst part is, her brain is so sick she doesn't understand that this disease is literally killing her.
    edited June 12
    · Reply · Share