Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Recovery and 12 step thread.

privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
Many parents are battling the opioid crisis and other substance abuse matters. It can be very lonely for the care givers and the potential (unnecessary) shame, guilt and misunderstanding. And also for anyone who has a alcohol or drug problem.

Thought I would open a thread for people to share and for those or with those in successful recovery to help out.

Replies to: Recovery and 12 step thread.

• privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    edited February 23
    Good for him. Good for your family too, I bet.

It’s important in many programs to give back, a good rule in life.
    edited February 23
    A staggering 23mm Americans are believed to have alcohol dependency issues.

A heartbreaking 70,000 people died last year in the USA from opioid use. That’s an astonishing 20000 more Americans in one year than all of the 15 years in the Vietnam War. Many are young. Many are elderly. They are rich stars and actors. They are poor and homeless.

Talk to first responders. Narcan is more common than any other calls. Imagine the number of deaths without this resource. Astounding. [-(
  • LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,495 Senior Member
    I have a brother who has struggled with alcohol. After a very rough year, he is doing better, not drinking, but I am afraid to be optimistic. We didn't know he had a problem for many years. Then we found out, thought he was getting help, discovered he was only going through the motions. We love him dearly and wish we could help.
    edited February 23
    @lizardly. If you know anyone who is healthy - in a mentally and spiritually balanced recovery, ask them to talk to your brother. The cornerstone of 12 step recovery programs is that it’s based on one alcoholic talking to and helping another.

It has been a real solution. For most, alcohol is not the problem but the solution (albeit ineffective and destructive) to an underlying malady. And it’s best understood by those who have made it to the other side.
    edited February 23
    @HouseChatte

It manifests itself in many ways. Making a heavy going of life and not knowing why.
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 2,780 Senior Member
    My father drank to excess in order to ease his suffering. As a teen, I was filled with disdain for his “weakness”.

Now, as a woman in my mid-50s — not much older than my father was when I was a teen — I have a lot of compassion for his plight.

I married a man who has never been drunk. He doesn’t drink. I’ve always thought that was a good thing in a partner for me.

I’ve worked with many many people with drug and/or alcohol problems. I don’t want it to happen to me. I want to be able to drink in moderation and not have to give it up.

I really look forward to my evening beer. But just like certain food items, I have to make rules for myself so one beer doesn’t turn into 3-4. Meaning, I feel the tug to drink more than one. Aren’t our brains curious creatures?

I stopped drinking wine because “one glass” was always more than one serving (five ounces) and five ounces seemed like nothing. Much happier with a 12 oz beer! I steer clear of hard liquor.

It’s a problem when the first asks for second, the second suggests a third and the third demands a fourth.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 5,321 Senior Member
    I have read that those addicted to opiates are far less likely to have a success with a 12 step type program on its own and often do better with the help of another drug (like a methadone program. ) I don't understand the science behind it but the stats on outcomes are pretty compelling. Curious if anyone has any experience with this.