right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Jeopardy's Alex Trebek health

Replies to: Jeopardy's Alex Trebek health

• showmom858showmom858 2926 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I just saw this come through on my notifications. We love Alex and watch Jeopardy most nights. We will be sending good thoughts his way.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22864 replies2250 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    Sad news.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22990 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Sad for him.

Can I just say I'm glad to be back to 'regular' Jeopardy! tonight? I did not like the Million $ tournament at all. There was no rhythm to it, I dislike watching the same people over and over. This wasn't the same as the summer nighttime game years ago and the Watson computer championship (where at least the computer gave some really funny wrong answers).
    · Reply · Share
  • websensationwebsensation 2107 replies39 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 6
    Not sure if info was available, but with all his money, I would have thought he would have been very diligent about getting physical check ups. Not blaming him, just curious. Was surprised to hear his cancer was stage 4. Does this type of cancer grow very fast? He looks great for 78 years old though. It's really sad when someone you watched over and over again passes away. Hope he recovers and lives healthy for long time.
    edited March 6
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38921 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
  • sevmomsevmom 8396 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Very sad news. We had a friend who lived a couple of years after diagnosis, seemed to have the best care , but it still got him in the end. All the best to Alex . He has a very difficult journey ahead.
    · Reply · Share
  • readthetealeavesreadthetealeaves 759 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    Terrible news for him. So sad. Hopefully he can beat it as his message said but what is the prognosis for stage 4 pancreatic cancer?
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7274 replies56 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The prognosis is very poor @readthetealeaves. Most people are given months after a stage IV diagnosis.
    · Reply · Share
  • readthetealeavesreadthetealeaves 759 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    Oh no @momofsenior1 that is grim. Poor man
    · Reply · Share
  • cameo43cameo43 1644 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    This made me so sad. Alex made that announcement with such characteristic class and grace. I watched the show whenever I was at my mom 's or sister's house -- both huge fans.

Thinking of him makes me wonder, @skieurope, whether you've ever been a Jeopardy! contestant. If you haven't, I think you should be. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38447 replies2106 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Shoot. We lost a friend, 61, to this disease last year. He lived more than three years after his diagnosis. He was active in my son's Boy Scout Troop. One of those guys who always had a smile on his face and a kind word for everyone.
    · Reply · Share
  • MADadMADad 1993 replies81 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 6
    The nasty thing about pancreatic cancer is that it is very treatable in the early stages, but is normally not discovered until much later, when it's much more difficult to treat. You would think there would be an concerted effort to develop an early detection method, as way too many people die from it.
    edited March 6
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38447 replies2106 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    ^There aren't many symptoms early on, though, are there? How could it be detected?
    · Reply · Share
  • cameo43cameo43 1644 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Hopefully research will develop some sort of scan or blood test or--- something. I think of all the people who died from colon cancer (another cancer which is easy to miss until late stage)...before colonoscopies became a common procedure.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38921 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ML - many cancers send circulating cells out... that is how they apparently metastasize. So theoretically it is possible to detect those cells (or another marker) early enough. One just needs to find the right marker and develop a detection method that has sufficient sensitivity. Moving in that direction... but investors don't think biotech is sexy enough.
    · Reply · Share