right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

2019 Gardening Thread

15678911»

Replies to: 2019 Gardening Thread

• abasketabasket 19531 replies868 threads Senior Member
    Looks like a good product and plan @BunsenBurner . Those bunnies just can't help helping themselves!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55827 replies2907 threads Senior Member
    The cherry tomato plants are still producing, but the leaves are getting fried int he heat/sun. The basil came back (something possibly ate it and I don’t mean us, though we did get a lot of great leaves to put under our mini caprese on a stick appetizers). The peas were an epic fail.
    · Reply · Share
    Looks like a good product and plan @BunsenBurner . Those bunnies just can't help helping themselves!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55827 replies2907 threads Senior Member
    Still getting cherry tomatoes!
    · Reply · Share
    I pulled everything but my kale and zinnias at my community garden last week. Will plant garlic in the next week or so. Did pick out a bunch of green tomatoes left on the vines and am trying to turn them - can't bear to waste them!

· Reply · Share
  • chardonMNchardonMN 78 replies10 threads Junior Member
    Hi, I just found this thread. I am not a vegetable gardener, but have always had perennial and hosta gardens and used to work installing and maintaining them for others. This year I learned about how to help restore natural systems via native plants. In case anyone is interested in pollinator gardens, bees, butterflies and birds, I wanted to share the name of this book that really changed my outlook. I am obsessed now with plants native to my area to help dwindling insect and bird populations. This book explains it really well! I did not rip all my exotics out but I am having fun replacing some lawn with native plants, and anything new I bring in will be native. Planning to seed some areas today with native pollinator seed.The book is Bringing Nature Home by Doug Tallamy. Check it out!
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2527 replies9 threads Senior Member
    We had glorious weather this weekend and H and I pulled all the flowers except the alyssum. I also didn't cut back the roses yet.

It is so difficult for me to pull flowers when they are still blooming! However, there won't be such a great weekend again until at least late March/April, and I'll be glad I did in a week or two when it's cold/wet/snowing.

We ate our last tomato tonight. S1 lives a mile away and has a huge garden. Think I'll plant a tomato next year and pick the rest from his :)
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34534 replies383 threads Senior Member
    I've also got green cherry tomatoes on the vine. In the past, I made fried green tomatoes with them. Lol, not like the true FGT I've had in the south. I halved them.
    · Reply · Share
    I can't pull my flowers yet. Most of them besides the impatients still look GREAT!

This time of year I usually take a walk around the yard the night before garbage day and reluctantly pull any flowers/pots that are on their last leg. It's like ripping the bandaid off slowly!

· Reply · Share
  • OnwardOnward 2911 replies79 threads Senior Member
    @chardonMN - I have that book and love it. It is so important that we start planting natives to help the birds and the insects. Those plants are tough and are made to live in their local environment. It sure is hard to get people to think differently! As for our vegetable garden- done! It has been put to rest and today the flower garden got chopped down (although I don't tidy it up like I use to- save the critters!)
    · Reply · Share