right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

2019 Gardening Thread

Replies to: 2019 Gardening Thread

• abasketabasket 19190 replies854 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Just buy your bananas at the grocery store. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33546 replies367 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Or get a big paper fake one. One summer, I worked at a restaurant in San Diego that had a tree in the inner courtyard. They made banana drinks from it. But you'd need to read up on growing needs.
    · Reply · Share
    Anyway @MoonKnight aren't you headed off to your dream college? Or is that in your hometown?
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    Yes I am @abasket . But it's close enough to home for me to visit every weekend. The banana tree was just a thought I've had for some time. I just wanted to know if it was possible. As of right now, I'm satisfied with my little baby cactus.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6995 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Came home to a ton of blossoms on my zucchini plants! Now to not eat the blossoms so we can actually get the zucchini ; )
    · Reply · Share
  • authorauthor 332 replies29 threadsRegistered User Member
    Coulis with red onions will be on my menu tonight, thanks for the great idea.
    My family in the Appalachian mtns grow bananas. They have them in pots because bananas need 9 months at 70+degrees to produce bananas. Bananas stop growing at 50 degrees. I'd recommend to get a dwarf cavendish banana if you do. Dwarfs get to 18 foot.
    I can't grow zucchini in the summer here. It is a fall into spring plant for me.
    However our eggplants love the heat. What kind are you growing? I tried the little finger ones this year and they have been so tender, we haven't had to salt before grilling.
    Would love to hear new ideas for what gardeners have found to be great mixes for containers; full sun and shade. I have a few plumeria with verbena around the trunk, a hibiscus with phlox that are good mates, angelonia with gazania, and dragon wing begonias with coleus.

· Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3558 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @MoonKnight If you've been growing your cactus indoors, then be very careful taking it outside. This article has some tips. A cactus is a succulent.
    https://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/taking-indoor-succulents-outside-for-the-summer/
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    @Bromfield2 Thanks for the advice but I don't plan on taking my cactus outdoors for a long time. Possibly, 10 years. It is a saguaro cactus and those things take decades to grow. I'll probably see how much it has grown in 10 years before determining whether it can handle being outside. If anyone has grown saguaro cacti and has any tips, it would be much appreciated!
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33546 replies367 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    As far as ideas for container flower arrangements, I look at tons of pictures on the web. Then, can't decide. So my pansies are in their store container, sitting in a larger decorative pot, waiting. It's been a couple of months.
    · Reply · Share
    When I do my flower pots I usually plant in three's. A main flower and two things that will spill over the pot onto the sides. Sometimes those are both flowers, sometimes one is a greenery.
    · Reply · Share
  • authorauthor 332 replies29 threadsRegistered User Member
    I like looking at online suggestions too. I had seen Pansies with leaf lettuce and tried that this winter as Pansies are my winter flower. Pansies stop flowering in May for our zone. Geraniums really are my Go to for holiday/winter flowers too. I used clay pots for them this year instead of plastic and they are still flowering really well.

I like your idea @abasket about the spill with a main feature. I need to head to the garden centers to find spillers and fillers for my geraniums. I have used the sweet potato vine, Ipomoea, since it has both the purple or lime green colors but used it with Angelonias and Persian Shield. My red geraniums seem to need a drier soil.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6995 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We are finally hitting summer weather here (high 80s). I have a set of pots that are under eaves that don't get any rain water. I had been watering twice/week but it's clear they need more now. Should I be watering daily or is that too much? If the pots have holes does it even matter? I ask because I have one pot of petunias (out of seven) that isn't looking good.

So far it's been raining nearly every day so I haven't had to worry about anything else. Including the lawn which still looks lush and green. I struggle between the balance of water conservation and green lawn as the heat of the summer begins....

· Reply · Share
    @momofsenior1 sounds like you live in my neighborhood - those have been our exact conditions! (I'm in northern Ohio).
    Outside pots really do need a hole for drainage. Otherwise when you get torrential or frequent rain there is no option but to drown you plant. It is my habit now when buying new pots to check the bottom for drainage holes (or the ability to safely add holes).
    I have been watering my hanging baskets in the sun daily - morning if possible. If I don't they look very sad in the heat. Pots I usually go for every other day if no rain - unless it's a bigger pot. Obviously smaller pots or windowboxes in direct sun dry out faster. When we get a break in hot - so like some 70's degrees days I try to fertilize. Aim for 1-2 a month to fertilize.
    · Reply · Share
    Some about watering depends on the container. Clay can evaporate fast, darker pots can get hotter, whiter pots sometimes don't keep the soil as warm. Some days, it's all too much thinking, for me.

I do love petunias and how some varieties spread so well. Just discovered one blooming in an extra container on my porch.

I've now got cherry tomatos forming, the zuccs are all still males.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2960 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Any here use one of those torch weed killers? I have eye strain from reading reviews on Amazon.
    · Reply · Share
    Seems to me they dont tackle the roots. When the Everglades or Yellowstone burn, those grasses pop back as soon as they can.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38745 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Mr. has one and has used it on weeds that can produce a lot of seeds. The thing can burn the seeds and all (while roundup leaves them intact even when the mother weed dies). You just have to be careful not to set anything on fire. A paintbrush and a cup of Roundup or Brushtox can finish the job when the weed begins to perk up from the root.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3558 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @MoonKnight How did you get a Saguaro? I thought it was a protected species and that these cacti could only grow in the Sonoran Desert in Arizona????
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8725 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 6
    @MoonKnight - here is some info on cold hardy banana varieties. If there's a freeze, they may well die to the ground, but come back in spring. The plant is like a marsupial, the flower/fruit travels up the stem and emerges, but after a year of traveling. If you want the flower and fruit, you'll have to put it in a giant pot and bring it indoors. I think it would be better outside, and you can enjoy the leaves and the tropical look of the plant.

But banana plants can spread and get quite dense and messy so be careful!

http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/Cold-hardy-bananas.html
    edited July 6
    · Reply · Share
  • OnwardOnward 2903 replies79 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Midwest67 - We have a torch and use in occasionally. Be careful as the flame is pretty invisible and it would be easy to burn yourself. We use it to start fires, burn weeds growing in hard to reach areas and around the garden fence.
    · Reply · Share