right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

What phrases or things are like nails on a blackboard to you?

Replies to: What phrases or things are like nails on a blackboard to you?

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41318 replies479 threads Senior Member
    Thing - any mobile phone making any noise on the bus while the owner is staring at the screen.
    · Reply · Share
  • momsquadmomsquad 1112 replies64 threads Senior Member
    Agree on 'fur baby' ugh.
    'The wife' as in "The wife won't let me drink beer all night"
    'Reach out'; Every phone service rep feels compelled to say, "I will reach out to our technical support staff...."
    'Closure'; Nothing brings closure in most cases, only a bit more clarification or resolution.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5428 replies79 threads Senior Member
    I could of or should of paid more attention in class.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlwaysLearnAlwaysLearn 460 replies17 threads Member
    Hubby or wifey

When some executives/higher-ups are speaking to a group at work and keep saying, "Right?" after everything they say. Like who is going to disagree? LOL
    · Reply · Share
  • HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch 2662 replies34 threads Senior Member
    Saying "a female" when you mean a woman or girl.
    · Reply · Share
  • MeddyMeddy 638 replies42 threads Member
    "Not to be mean, but..."
    · Reply · Share
  • 3sonsmom3sonsmom 370 replies0 threads Member
    @mathmom My husband is amused at my anger “it is what it is”. How did it get started, why do so many people use is? Also, use of “at the end of the day”!
    · Reply · Share
  • TiredofsnowTiredofsnow 740 replies19 threads Member
    Xmas.
    · Reply · Share
  • STEM2017STEM2017 4117 replies97 threads Senior Member
    Trust me, c'est la vie.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 57695 replies3024 threads Senior Member
    Ditto, @TatinG. A friend has what I always assumed was a vocal tic. Every other word in her conversation is “well”. Argh!!
    · Reply · Share
  • natty1988natty1988 831 replies12 threads Member
    edited May 2019
    I was wondering when there would be a thread about this!
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • natty1988natty1988 831 replies12 threads Member
    edited May 2019

"Adulting" I can't stand when people say that...what is so special about being an adult these days? Are people really that immature?

When people use the word "feels" to talk about feelings...say feelings! Feels makes no sense!

I also feel that the word "toxic" is overused...

@FallGirl yes on Furbaby. I can't stand that word. I've also heard people say Granddog....seriously!?

Murica: Um, we live in the United States of America!

I can't stand wifey or hubby either....not so much that they're bad words, I just feel like they're overused. Everyone I've heard who uses the term wifey and hubby uses it constantly...
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 4119 replies15 threads Senior Member
    I had a lot of trouble with “Dude!.....” most often used by people half my age at work.

I think my ear has gotten used to it, mostly.

Same with “My bad”. It doesn’t grate so much now.

When I was a surly teenager, I was used to respond with “Yeah” instead of “Yes” and hoo boy, one day my dad had had it and gave me an angry scolding that still stirs up unpleasant feelings.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity