right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
College of Charleston, Cooper, Davidson, and Reed are rumored to release decisions tomorrow (4/1). Share your outcome!
Tulane is rumored to release decisions today (3/31). Share your outcome!
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

crazy article

oxymoron12oxymoron12 7 replies5 threads New Member
Has this been discussed yet? This was bonkers! And not something I imagine any parents worries about happening when sending a child off to college:

https://www.thecut.com/2019/04/larry-ray-sarah-lawrence-students.html
47 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: crazy article

• browniesundaebrowniesundae 288 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Wow. Just, wow.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 77096 replies3425 threads Senior Member
    @oxymoron

Could you give a brief summary. Some folks (like me) do not open links.
    · Reply · Share
  • oxymoron12oxymoron12 7 replies5 threads New Member
    There was a father who moved into his freshman daughter's on-campus house and over a period of time created a kind of personilty cult with her roommates following him into personally disastrous situations. So awful.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunnyBlueBunnyBlue 849 replies8 threads Member
    @thumper1 You can read the article by googling "the stolen kids of Sarah Lawrence, the cut".

Maybe this is an article all kids should read before going to college. Very tragic and disturbing.
    · Reply · Share
  • Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale 2924 replies14 threads Senior Member
    This is horrifying.

I am deeply perturbed that Allen Green, the Dean of Student life at Sarah Lawrence, could so blithely avoid being held responsible, or even implicated, in any way in the harm which befell these young people, if the statements and characterization of Green, as recalled by the parents involved, are accurate.

From the announcement of the promotion of Dean Green to the new position of Dean of Equity and Inclusion at Sarah Lawrence (and I have to think it an intended mockery of all these families have gone through):

"Dean Green moves into this new position having stewarded campus life for well over a decade. His leadership in this new role will ensure that we are putting our students’ needs at the forefront of institutional priorities.”
    · Reply · Share
  • jonrijonri 7356 replies135 threads Senior Member
    One thing left out in the above description is that the daughter, who was a SLC student, told her roommates that her father was getting out of prison and needed a place to crash.

So, not only did SLC overlook a 50-ish old man living in a dorm; it overlooked a convicted felon living in a dorm. The parents of one roommate say they complained and Green's response was "a father has a right to visit his daughter." (He lived there for months.)

He would make the kids confess they had stolen or destroyed some item belonging to him and then force them t pay him. One kid really thought he'd be killed if he didn't pay--and his parents paid a LOT of money for a totally bogus claim.
    · Reply · Share
    If a father tried to stay in either of my sons' college dorms, he would have been kicked out pronto.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 3467 replies14 threads Senior Member
    I’m confused by the nature of the housing. It doesn’t sound like a traditional dorm. Rather, a house on campus property available for a group of students? IOW, no RA?

I’m trying to think back to my college days at a small LAC. There were houses along the perimeter of campus that housed students. Some were frats. Some were clubs (also served as housing). I don’t recall whether there was any adult assigned to these houses like an RA in a dorm. Doubtful? But I don’t know for sure.

· Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30017 replies59 threads Senior Member
    I’m appalled SLU did not get involved when the father was clearly living in university housing.

I am familiar with similar stories, without the evil of this parent. I moved into off campus housing at one time as an UG, with a group of non college folks, including some older people. Nothing nefarious, but not a move I would advocate. I’m glad my kids did not do the same.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 40297 replies2204 threads Super Moderator
    I would be furious if I knew that had gone on at my kid's college.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35391 replies396 threads Senior Member
    edited May 2019
    Terrifying! I’d be beyond furious if anything like that happened at my kids’ college! Larry sounds like a huge control freak and very scary man!

I’m sure a lot of parents had to do a lot to help get their kids what they needed after being around Larry and the toxic environment he created.

I can’t see how the school allowed this 50+ year old man to live on their campus—very creepy.
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17556 replies164 threads Senior Member
    This guy sounds like a dangerous psychopath. Very scary how it said he can manipulate even the most experienced psychologists and interviewers.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35391 replies396 threads Senior Member
    I think SLC will be facing a lawsuit for allowing this Exxon to live with these college students Bd create this cult. Ick!
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7795 replies23 threads Senior Member
    Glad I read the entire article. It sounds more of a house located on campus so not really a traditional dorm situation. Besides, the father was invited to stay by the 8 roommates. And he ingratiated himself by cooking,cleaning and providing a paternal presence which is how it remained for a good long time before evolving.
    I listen to a podcast (highly recommend) called “Cults” (they feature different ones from all over the world) which covers this type of behavior and how devotees get sucked in and how the behavior of a leader evolves over years from something seemingly innocuous to more dangerous and mind controlling. It’s a power shift from the individual to that of a controlling force.
    · Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4716 replies41 threads Senior Member
    Scary how he sucked in so many vulnerable people. I read the whole article and it is hard to imagine how intelligent students fell for this guy in the first place --and didn't get out earlier. Why did they all go along with such weirdness/abuse? Strange that he worked with his daughter. I once knew a similar psycho/manipulative/threatening/thieving pair--a mother/son.
    · Reply · Share
  • jonrijonri 7356 replies135 threads Senior Member
    The rights to the story have been bought by Mark Wahlberg and a partner. It isn't known yet whether it will be a movie or TV show. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jason-blum-mark-wahlberg-adapt-stolen-kids-sarah-lawrence-1207332
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 3033 replies16 threads Senior Member
    It is really hard to believe how intelligent people could get sucked in by this sociopath. @jonri - I was just going to say that someone will want to make a movie of this!
    · Reply · Share
    I hope it will become a widely viewed movie in order to educate as many people as possible about manipulative personalities and cults.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30017 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Yes, these things are scary.

One of my friends had to remove her daughter from her living situation at great cost due to a dangerous SO that the roommate had. Friend had her daughter take a leave of absence. Yes, it was that serious. It was a huge financial setback that also cost the DD a semester of college and nearly a transfer out of there.

The roommate ended up leaving school later and did not return.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity