Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Fairfax vs Durham for post grad job?

2»

Replies to: Fairfax vs Durham for post grad job?

• eyemamomeyemamom Registered User Posts: 5,405 Senior Member
    It all depends if she prefers a more urban or southern environment. I know fairfax is south, but not nc south. The traffic in fairfax and nova is hideous.
    However they’re both very similar in many ways, educated population, job opportunities. What fairfax has over Durham is culture- dc museums, wolf trap, Kennedy center and a rich history. If that isn’t a priority I’d go to Durham.
  • mominvamominva Registered User Posts: 3,027 Senior Member
    edited May 16
    Fairfax - Falls Church is very different than Fairfax - Fair Oaks, vs Fairfax - Reston vs Fairfax - Springfield. It is a geographically large county. Parts have Metro access, other parts are a drive only commute from suburbia. Local folks could help more with a more specific area identified. Also, do not let the corporate address be your determinant for job location. Many employers have multiple locations - have your daughter ask for the details.
    DD#1 left the area when she got moved to a contract (large well known company) with drive only horrific commute to suburbia (from our much closer in location). She never would have taken the original job if it was in that location.
  • cbreezecbreeze Registered User Posts: 4,762 Senior Member
    For a young grad, I would vote for Fairfax. DC area is very vibrant, lots of educated young people and plenty of job opportunities should she wish to change job down the road. Can't get any better culturally either.
    My niece moved from DC to Durham for grad school and she said Durham was boring compared to DC. After grad school, she accepted a job in NYC.
  • katwkittenskatwkittens Registered User Posts: 2,299 Senior Member
    UNC's MPH is #2 as a close second behind Harvard's. DPAC has a slew of show's and Durham, Raleigh has a ton of eateries. Son graduated from med school and business school at UNC Chapel Hill. Carbarro is also close to Drham and Chapel Hill with rentals that are cheaper than Chapel Hill. Baseball at Durham Bulls stadium is tons of fun, as is basketball at UNC, Duke and State.

Nephew has and had summer internships in DC and my sister also resided in Alexandria. His summer housing is so pricey it far exceeds his pay from his internship, so his parents are subsidizing his COL. As NC residents they know how much cheaper it would be if he stayed in town. His sister is staying for the summer, working in Durham and it is soooo much cheaper.

Kat
    NC resident
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 3,398 Senior Member
    N.C. Given what you've told us. UNC's School of Public Health is outstanding. The cost of living is lower and the area is probably the most vibrant in N.C. i.e. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.
    I'm from N.C., went to UNC-CH and live in N. Virginia, LOL, so take that for what it's worth. The traffic here has surpassed awful into horrible and housing and rents are very high.
    But, again, for the Masters she wants to get alone, to me that is the hands down answer.
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 4,565 Senior Member
    So how did her interview go?
  • akmom124akmom124 Registered User Posts: 480 Member
    Thanks for all your input! Her interviews went well and she’s decided that at some point she’d like to live in Durham and will definitely apply to grad school there. But she received a job offer from the job she really wanted in Cambridge and has accepted that! While the cost of living will be more expensive than Durham, the scope of work lined up much better with her interests. We’re all thrilled it worked out this way and very excited she’ll be back close to home. And since she hasn’t lived or spent a lot of time in Boston she’s looking forward to being back here. Now she just has to find an apartment and roommates to live with In Somerville. But that’s for next week - she’s relaxing and enjoying her weekend trip now! Wish CC had a roommate matching service!!
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 4,565 Senior Member
    @akmom124, sounds like a great outcome. Congrats all around.
  • akmom124akmom124 Registered User Posts: 480 Member
    @1214mom - Thanks! Yes all very happy and can’t wait to have her home this summer after almost a year in Asia! And her start date gives her the time to come home and sort all her stuff out that is stored in our basement as well as spend time with us (translated to our dogs) and do some other things before starting work.
  • xanthippexanthippe Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    edited May 24
    Job options with ICF in Durham/Fairfax vs. Abt in Cambridge?? My D ended up in Durham, and absolutely loves it. Cultural events are easier to access than in Fairfax (and we have lived in NC and NOVA), plus lower cost of living. But congrats to your D on getting the Cambridge job! Can’t go wrong with any of these locations as a 20-something, truly. Enjoy your time with her at home!!
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 3,398 Senior Member
    edited May 26
    Have to laugh. This turned out to be a completely useless discussion in the end for the OP didn't it? LOL.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 8,333 Senior Member
    Not a "useless discussion" but kind of funny that Cambridge wasn't even presented initially as a possibility, given there was a potential job offer there and it was closer to home. Sounds like a great outcome though for the family. Congratulations!
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,892 Senior Member
    DS has lived in Cambridge and and Somerville and Allston and Arlington. It's a pricey area, but very fun for young adults. A roommate (or multiple roommates) can make it more affordable.