right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Any Suggestions for a Healthier Brown Bag Lunch?

13»

Replies to: Any Suggestions for a Healthier Brown Bag Lunch?

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38898 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 18
    Eat grass... my cat does. :) She always pukes after that, but she looks great and feels great ;)

Kidding. It is hard to come up with a cold lunch that is not a salad and is healthy - and that also has no dairy in it.
    edited May 18
    · Reply · Share
  • TexasCollegeMomTexasCollegeMom 199 replies48 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I doubt your son would go for it but I bought myself a bento box. Mine is two tiered and bottom can be microwaved. I try to pack the bottom with half a sandwich or entree then fill the top with cherry tomatoes, fruit and sometimes a little treat. Since I teach preschool and eat with my children, eating healthy food is being a role model.

Honestly, I would be thrilled that he is packing his own lunch. Maybe having easy to take fruit or veggies for him to grab would make it a little healthier.
    · Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 890 replies26 threadsRegistered User Member
    It can be hard to beat the convenience of a sandwich! Does he like hard boiled eggs? I often do a simple lunch of some hard boiled eggs, cheese cubes, and celery sticks with a dip. Doesn't require a fork or reheating. You could also do chicken breast strips (either homemade or the frozen pre-grilled ones) the same way...with a dip or just as a finger food.
    · Reply · Share
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3280 replies229 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Smoked turkey sandwich instead. Side of raw carrots or similar.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 6002 replies189 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have purged deli meats from my life (well, all meats). Concurrently I rediscovered peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Try making one with fresh bread, natural peanut butter (100% peanuts, ideally made by machine at the store so you know it's only peanuts) and a high end blueberry preserve and you (and he) will be surprised how delicious it is!
    · Reply · Share
  • GudmomGudmom 247 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Mmm, Mom, if you haven’t managed to instill what you consider healthy eating habits in this grown man in all the years of his childhood, why would you pick now to try? He is a teacher so he can read. He hasn’t grown up in a bubble, so he does know what “healthy” eating means, at least until the dietary recommendations change yet again.
    If you don’t want to buy ham, don’t buy ham. If you want to offer to make him other kinds of sandwiches, well, see how that goes. But really, it isn’t going to kill him, and you know that.

Just relax. Let GO. He has a job, he is a good person, and he is eating OK. He’s not obese, or doing drugs. You could have a REAL worry. Someday he may decide to change it up, but that’s not really up to you at this point.
    And I’d suggest for the sake of your relationship with your future daughter in law, and grandchildren, that you learn to let other people make decisions for themselves (and their families). Nothing annoyed me more than when my MIL would show up with containers of cut up fruit, as if I didn’t buy healthy food for my child. Although I did appreciate her pot roast. So you might try just making his dinners really good, and know that he will be fine, ham sandwich or not.
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 8388 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Also surprised there has not been more sentiment about pretty much staying out of all of this. As my older son would jokingly remind me when I tried to get too much in his business- "I'm a grown man."
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 5030 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am a teacher and eat my lunch during office hours, so I can appreciate his point that a sandwich is faster to consume! Maybe a good beginning would be to introduce different meats - smoked turkey, turkey, corned beef, roast beef - and then perhaps the door might be opened to other options? (Also sensitive to the fact that we're talking about an adult here.)
    · Reply · Share
  • sonssectysonssecty 288 replies59 threadsRegistered User Member
    People need an adequate amount of time to eat lunch and, also, to take a breather. It is not healthy to be scarfing food down, and it is not healthy to constantly feel under stress because there is not enough time to get everything done. Additionally, getting out of the classroom to eat lunch has a refreshing effect. A conversation about this would be beneficial.
    · Reply · Share