Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Any Suggestions for a Healthier Brown Bag Lunch?

124»

Replies to: Any Suggestions for a Healthier Brown Bag Lunch?

• GudmomGudmom Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    Mmm, Mom, if you haven’t managed to instill what you consider healthy eating habits in this grown man in all the years of his childhood, why would you pick now to try? He is a teacher so he can read. He hasn’t grown up in a bubble, so he does know what “healthy” eating means, at least until the dietary recommendations change yet again.
    If you don’t want to buy ham, don’t buy ham. If you want to offer to make him other kinds of sandwiches, well, see how that goes. But really, it isn’t going to kill him, and you know that.

Just relax. Let GO. He has a job, he is a good person, and he is eating OK. He’s not obese, or doing drugs. You could have a REAL worry. Someday he may decide to change it up, but that’s not really up to you at this point.
    And I’d suggest for the sake of your relationship with your future daughter in law, and grandchildren, that you learn to let other people make decisions for themselves (and their families). Nothing annoyed me more than when my MIL would show up with containers of cut up fruit, as if I didn’t buy healthy food for my child. Although I did appreciate her pot roast. So you might try just making his dinners really good, and know that he will be fine, ham sandwich or not.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 8,333 Senior Member
    Also surprised there has not been more sentiment about pretty much staying out of all of this. As my older son would jokingly remind me when I tried to get too much in his business- "I'm a grown man."
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,973 Senior Member
    I am a teacher and eat my lunch during office hours, so I can appreciate his point that a sandwich is faster to consume! Maybe a good beginning would be to introduce different meats - smoked turkey, turkey, corned beef, roast beef - and then perhaps the door might be opened to other options? (Also sensitive to the fact that we're talking about an adult here.)
  • sonssectysonssecty Registered User Posts: 346 Member
    People need an adequate amount of time to eat lunch and, also, to take a breather. It is not healthy to be scarfing food down, and it is not healthy to constantly feel under stress because there is not enough time to get everything done. Additionally, getting out of the classroom to eat lunch has a refreshing effect. A conversation about this would be beneficial.