right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Any Suggestions for a Healthier Brown Bag Lunch?

Hopeful820Hopeful820 235 replies65 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 300 Member
My S packs a ham sandwich every day to take to work for lunch, no variation on other deli meat, I asked him if he gets tired of eating just ham, he says he likes ham! He still lives with us, sometimes I have him take leftover dinner from the night before, which is much healthier, however, often times he complains he has no time to heat up leftover during a short lunch period. He is a young teacher and spends most of his lunch period helping students, so eating a sandwich is more convenient and manageable.

Well, those deli ham has way too much salt, long term consumption is definitely no good. Unfortunately, he is also not a big fan of fruits and vegetables!! :(

I appreciate any suggestion on a healthier and easy brown bag lunch so he can trade in his "ham" sandwiches!!!

Thanks.
49 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Any Suggestions for a Healthier Brown Bag Lunch?

• mom60mom60 7706 replies501 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,207 Senior Member
    My H takes his lunch most days. I usually put leftovers in a flour tortilla. I warm the tortilla, fill it and put it in foil. He eats it cold like a wrap. One easy one is to put hummus, leftover chicken, cucumber and whatever vegetables we have leftover. Other times I just put whatever we had in the tortilla. He isn’t picky. If we don’t have leftovers he will put almond butter on the tortilla.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73022 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,201 Senior Member
    Our deli has a low salt ham...
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4405 replies176 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,581 Senior Member
    My husband has been eating a ham sandwich, carrots and Apple just about every day since we’ve been together (20 years). He has upgraded from Carl Budding quality meat (I’m not really sure he ate much of that,but you get the picture) to Boar’s Head from behind the deli counter, and for some period of time he may have thrown in PB&J occasionally, but mostly it’s been ham.
    I have salad most every day, but that would be hard with students.
    My son eats oats soaked overnight in yogurt or milk.
    Would he consider a veggie wrap occasionally? PBJ? Maybe some carrot sticks thrown in the bag with the sandwich? Does he at least do a healthy bread?
    If it makes you feel any better, my son will eat veggies, but when he’s cooking for himself, he eats oats for both breakfast and lunch, and something like plain pasta with nothing on it, or barbecue sauce (yuck). He relies on powder for his veggies, and for protein. (He ate oats even when I was paying for all of his groceries).
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1203 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,213 Senior Member
    Would he be open for things like yogurt, hummus, guacamole? All are very healthy, can be eaten cold, and easy to make. PBJ sandwich is always tasty too or generous goat cheese/dry figs never could go wrong either.
    · Reply · Share
  • Hopeful820Hopeful820 235 replies65 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 300 Member
    @thumper1, I have tried low sodium ham, find it still salty though not as bad as regular ones I think all of them have too much nitrate in them. I am trying to get him at least switch around to maybe roast beef or chicken sandwich. I am trying to come up with something maybe a little more creative and less "processed" deli meat.

Maybe he can still have ham sandwiches one or two days a week, but mix in with more other healthier options.

@mom60, good idea on the wrap, easier to put leftovers in than regular bread.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8749 replies72 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,821 Senior Member
    We are not ham eaters, but there were years when I’d make son a turkey or a veg sub. Packages of carrots, etc. his choice—cookies or chips.
    · Reply · Share
  • LuckyCharms913LuckyCharms913 997 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    He might like smoked turkey breast, or buffalo chicken or roast beef, as you mentioned. How about tuna salad? Egg salad or (to cut down on the mayo) sliced hard boiled eggs with just a little mayo spread on the bread?
    · Reply · Share
  • Hopeful820Hopeful820 235 replies65 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 300 Member
    He will eat PB&J once in a while, but he finds it not filling enough, and often times he won't eat the extra piece of fruits or snacks because he claims he has NO TIME! I remember one day he dug up a rotten banana in his backpack, luckily the darn thing didn't burst into a mess yet!!!

I usually get him the Black Bear ham from the deli counter, and wheat or multi grain bread.

He does like hummus and guacamole, with that, a wrap is definitely a good idea, maybe throw different things in it!!
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3389 replies34 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,423 Senior Member
    They way you cut out the deli meat is by just not buying it. Just have some fresh cooked meat he can take? Chicken, lamb, beef? My DH is a grown man and all he can muster is PNB.
    · Reply · Share
  • dragonmomdragonmom 5833 replies153 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,986 Senior Member
    Is he living at home and you can influence his lunch?
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28054 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,110 Senior Member
    Costco chicken makes for great sandwiches. Boiled egg slices,, Fish, Turkey,etc I don’t like lunch meat so I tended to use left over proteins. I don’t even like deli turkey. Deli rare roast beef only exception.

Look at Starbucks salads -and sandwiches for ideas.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20253 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,462 Senior Member
    edited May 15
    Try roasting a nice natural chicken once a week. Really, most deli meat is going to be at least somewhat processed.

How about some cold pasta or grain salads with veggies mixed in? Nothing to heat up.

It's not like you can force him to eat healthier but perhaps if you have ready to go options in the fridge, he might be amenable to trying something new.
    edited May 15
    · Reply · Share
  • Trixy34Trixy34 1166 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,172 Senior Member
    pasta or grain salad sounds yummy! Chicken salad? Hummus and pita? Or pita with feta and olives? Hard-boiled eggs? Chicken Caesar wrap?
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73022 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,201 Senior Member
    What does he like to ear beside ham? These are all great suggestions but not if they are items he just doesn’t like.

We have some snack size cheeses. Those, and a nice apple, and some crackers would be a yummy lunch for me.

I think it is great that he is packing his own lunch, and using whole grain breads.

Is he unhealthy and eating poorly otherwise? If not...I’m not sure this is the hill I would want to die on.
    · Reply · Share
    @dragonmom, as I mentioned in my original post, yes, he is still living at home, so I can definitely "influence" his lunch, sometimes I will ask if he wants to bring leftover dinner (which is healthier but often time requires reheating) and if he has time to heat it up, it works out once in a while.

I am ok with him living at home, he is saving up to buy his own place in time.

Have done egg salad once in a while but too much mayo bothers his stomach. He is definitely NOT a salad person!

@doschios, you are absolutely right, if I can think of some good options and to put in the fridge, maybe he will go for it!

· Reply · Share