right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Renewal of Global Entry

EmilySpinachEmilySpinach 206 replies16 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Has anyone else had a problem renewing? I believe that I’m doing everything right but when I put in my information it just tells me that my husband has been approved. I’m considering using a third party that will do the work for me. Has anyone done that? Forget about calling. All you get is “we’re busy call back later”. My tax dollars at work.
45 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Renewal of Global Entry

• Singersmom07Singersmom07 4139 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    i haven’t had to do mine yet but would any of this information help?https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/new-global-entry-website/
    · Reply · Share
  • b1ggreencab1ggreenca 536 replies11 threadsRegistered User Member
    I renewed and was able to get it all done without being re-interviewed. My husband renewed his as well, but did have to be re-interviewed. That was the only hassle we found with the process, and it was only one of us for whatever reason.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26695 replies174 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    the website is not at all user friendly, but me and the wife and kids have been able to slog thru it to get renewed.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22898 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I just got notification for renewal. Hope I won't need to get re-interviewed again. It is very convenient.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mom0f3Mom0f3 228 replies30 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Each renewal needs their own email. My husband and I share an email, and when I tried to renew using our joint email it wouldn’t let me, because it has that for his account. I used another email address for me, and it worked fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38128 replies2089 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    I got a notice from Capital One today that they will refund Global Entry fees! $100 a pop, not bad. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • EmilySpinachEmilySpinach 206 replies16 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I just went through a third party. I’ll let everyone know hoe that goes.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmilySpinachEmilySpinach 206 replies16 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Know! Not hoe!
    · Reply · Share
  • patsmompatsmom 4195 replies505 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    H and I used our Global Entry for the first time this week on returning to Miami from Rome. There was a special line for Global Entry holders and several kiosks there. All we had to do was touch the screen to begin, follow the instructions to look at the camera, wait for the red square to enclose our face, then touch the "take photo" button. In a couple of seconds, the screen said "take your receipt". A short slip of paper came out with our photo, our name, DOB, flight number and airline and some more identifying numbers -- don't remember exactly what they were, maybe PP number or global entry ID?. Anyway, we proceeded to the CBP officer, handed her our receipt and she sent us on the way.

How in the heck did the machine know who we were and what airline and flight we arrived on with only our photo? We never input our passports or Global Entry cards into any machine? I should know all this being a former CBP employee, but this is new technology since I retired.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20883 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "How in the heck did the machine know who we were and what airline and flight we arrived on with only our photo? We never input our passports or Global Entry cards into any machine?"

Facial recognition software. Welcome to Big Brother and 1984. As soon as they identify your face, they know your airline and flight info because your passport is connected to your flight information.
    · Reply · Share
    Yikes! :astonished:
    · Reply · Share
    I renewed my glob id online a week ago and I am still waiting for the next step. Anyone here know how long it usually takes for renewal?
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20883 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A lot of my applications, including banking, use facial recognition for sign on now.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8726 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    H and I returned from Italy to Dulles airport a few years ago. We did not have global entry or mobile passport (it's one of the airports that uses that), so we got the long line.

There was a machine that took photos of our faces and then we were sent to one of two lines. H's face was flagged for some reason, and I had to go with him to the much longer line. None of this was explained, but while waiting in line I figured it out.

We finally get to the customs officer and he asks H, "have you ever lived in Miami?", lol.

I guess I'm glad that facial recognition has gotten better, so less people will get caught in these traps, but it does disturb me that it's everywhere.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34202 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    So @greenwitch, you had to go in long line because your H had once lived in Miami?
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8726 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Lol, no he hadn't. But I asked the customs officer if his face had come up as a retired mafioso and the guy just laughed. They didn't tell us.

Most people ended up in the long line because of a man in their party whose face was deemed suspicious.
    · Reply · Share
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom 12265 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @patsmom Did you do a retinal scan when you applied? I know that our Nexus card process has used a retinal/iris scan for several years.
    · Reply · Share
    @alwaysamom No, I didn't.
    · Reply · Share
  • cincy galcincy gal 269 replies25 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My global entry renewal took 3+ months, I applied in mid- February and received my new card last week.
    · Reply · Share