Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are you a Disney lover?

Replies to: Are you a Disney lover?

• CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    edited May 21
    @bjscheel We only encountered the rude staff on our last trip with my mom. She has end stage cancer and it's super obvious. She had a scooter and some of the staff were just horrid about it, I guess assuming she must be a terrorist or something. We'd innocently get in a wrong line or be at the wrong place for transportation (their signs are horrible) and instead of being pleasant about it some folks were practically yelling at her. One guy flat out said, "Can't you read?" Well, yes we can, but yesterday we were told this is where we were supposed to go. Evidently that person didn't follow the book, but what he did (using an Emergency Exit gate) made things much easier for mom so it made sense and was nice - it just set us up for the next day's horror thinking it would be the same. Even folks behind us came up to us saying WTH once. It left a really bad taste.

They also lied to her about things like having beds available in the park should she get tired and not having to wait in lines for anything she wanted to go on (very few - she mainly wanted to stroll Epcot pretending she was back in Europe watching the free shows, etc). Waiting in lines when you might get sick is not an option. When I really fussed about that one a manager gave us a few free Fps, but originally she was told by a WDW direct line representative selling her the package that she wouldn't need them so we didn't set any up - couldn't anyway with her condition. We had no idea if she'd be feeling ok at 10 or not. We ended up not even using 3 per day so why the lie and huge fuss? The manager asked me why I hadn't gone online to one of the Disney fan sites to see that wasn't true. Who seriously expects they need to go to an outside the company online site to get real information when they are talking with a representative via calling the company itself?

The resort (Polynesian) was awesome as were a few people at Disney's parks themselves. They got her in to every restaurant she wanted to go to and one chef even came out to ask her what she thought she could eat - making that solely for her (what a great guy!), but overall, I'd never go there again with those circumstances and wish I'd talked her out of that trip. She did not enjoy herself at all beyond a moment or two and the stress of all the lies just set a really bad vibe.

I always hesitate to say, "never," but I have serious doubts as to whether we'll ever go to Disney again due to that trip and there being so many other places we want to see again and/or experience.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,886 Senior Member
    D2 and I had an epic Guitar Hero battle at Disney Quest (WDW) last time we went, probably ~10 years ago. She was stunned that her 45 year old mom beat her soundly several times in a row. Too bad Disney Quest is closed now.
  • SilpatSilpat Registered User Posts: 1,293 Senior Member
    @Creekland , I got teary eyed and angry too while reading about your mother's bad experience at WDW. It's horrible to plan what should have been a very special, magical visit for someone in her situation and have way too many things go badly, especially when CMs are not helpful or kind. I don't think that's typical of the customer service there, but that in no way helps you and your family.

I'm aware that many of their phone staffers are poorly informed, or don't care to look up correct information, after having read numerous complaints on one popular WDW board. One thing many guests don't realize is that when they're at a resort and call the "front desk" they are actually speaking to someone at a call center off-site. It's important to go to the front desk or concierge station in order to get anything important done.

At least the Poly experience was good. I hope that part of the trip, and the caring chef, are memories on which y'all can focus.
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,587 Senior Member
    Nope. I'd rather spend August in Las Vegas than a day at any Disney facility. They just plain creep me out. At least Vegas has some good honest greed and debauchery. Disney feels like synthetic sweetness. We took our kids because we considered it a duty, but if they want to go back as adults they are on their own.
  • my-3-sonsmy-3-sons Registered User Posts: 2,943 Senior Member
    We took our kids on a few great WDW trips when they were young. My youngest turned one the day before we left for the first trip. EVERYONE tried to talk me into leaving him home with grandma, saying he would never remember it, why bother. Nope, he was part of our family and even though he was too young to remember, H and I do! The look on his face when the characters came over and interacted with him was priceless to us.

We now live closer and are annual passholders. We make several trips a year with our granddaughters and in fact, I was online at 7:00 yesterday morning (60 days out) making our FP selections...still couldn't get Slinky! The Beach Club is our favorite resort but we have enjoyed others and stayed offsite on some trips. Hoop De Doo Revue, here we come!
  • MusakParentMusakParent Registered User Posts: 948 Member
    We took our kids to Disney World once and Disney Land once. We preferred Universal, but a day of that was plenty. I find everything looks and sounds the same after 2 days of it. Never need to go again. My kids have fond memories now at 18 and 14 and would love to go back. Much prefer national parks or exploring new cities.

I have a relative that literately goes to Disney 3-4 times a year. That is the ONLY vacation that family takes from the upper Midwest. I find that so odd because obviously they have the money to do some interesting travel.
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 Registered User Posts: 955 Member
    We've been to DW twice and both times memorable.

First was just us (wife and two kids). We stayed at the Wilderness lodge. Charted a boat to take us out in the lagoon in front of the Cinderella Castle to watch the fireworks (awesome). Also took a side trip to Discovery Cove so kids could get close up to Dolphins. Age appropriate rides where available to both kids, and as a foodie I have to say our dining locations were actually pretty good.

We later went with extended family (IL and sister's family). We rented a large house with a pool this time. And it was as enjoyable as ever. Also, one kid with a food allergy was able to taste some dishes he had never had the opportunity to taste before (DW really good with food allergies).

We've all moved on now, but early exposure to thrill rides at DW has some seeking even more intense roller coasters, early encounters with dolphins at DC as encouraged our kids to get scuba certified so they can experience sea life in their natural habitat.
  • toledotoledo Registered User Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    I'm another who is indifferent. We went once to Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Universal Studios on one trip and Epcot on a later trip. I'm glad my kids got to go, but they never asked to go back. As they got older, roller coasters and thrill rides became more important. We live close to Cedar Point and they've gone there at least 10 times.
  • saillakeeriesaillakeerie Registered User Posts: 2,153 Senior Member
    My wife and daughter love Disney World. She went there twice with the marching band in high school (I was a chaperone on both those trips). We took her there for a few days after high school graduation. Plan is to take her there when (if?) she gets into grad school in a couple years. Its fine with me. Parks are well done. No doubt crowded (wait until Star Wars Land opens up later this year in terms of crowds). Also expensive though as they continue to increase prices, crowd sizes stay the same (even grow at some points during the year).

I prefer big coasters. Cedar Point is my home park. Been going there 50 years or so. My son is a big coaster fan as well. At one point we would spend a day at a park sometime in trips across the country. Went to Disneyland for a day on an extended trip to California a few years back. My son and I still hit an amusement park now and then.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 18,344 Senior Member
    We took our kids to Disney World once, when they were ~12 and 10. A five-day package; we stayed in the park (Beach Club?) and never left. It's totally not my thing, and I kept thinking that in 15 minutes I was going to start hating it. But that 15 minutes never ended, and I never hated it. I even had some fun. The kids loved it, including Disney Quest. My wife loved it, but would not go on any remotely scary rides. We all thought the food was way better than expected. I have never suggested going back, and the kids never suggested it either, or went on their own when they were old enough.

A few years ago, my wife had two days of meetings in Orlando, and she decided to stay afterward and go to Universal. She didn't think it would be fun to go alone. I didn't want to go, neither of our (grown up, working, partnered) kids wanted to go, so my wife got the 19-year-old younger daughter of her best friend to go with her. They both had a great time, and got to know each other much better.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    I’ve been to Disneyland perhaps 20ish times, Epcot once, Universal in LA several times, CA adventure once. I like them all ok but prefer not to have to minutely plan it and prefer spontaneity, so don’t do fast pass and rushing around.

We mostly did it when our kids were young about 30 and 20 years ago and not much more recently.

We did Epcot impromptu the other year — just rented a car for a day from Tampa and drive down and spend half a day there. We went in the single rider line so we’re able to do quite a bit. We went to the French restaurant when they opened for dinner and were seated w/o reservations.

Our kids enjoyed it at a leisurely pace when they were little. We would rusticate when we got too tired rushing around—it was Swiss Family Robinson Island or something. Our kids were very light in weight so tended not to like turbulent rides because they’d toss them around too much. We liked going in early November when it was slower and less crowded but there were Christmas decorations and carolers dressed up in lovely winter attire.

My D has gone as a college student and young adult with friends. Neither she nor S nor we are Disney fanatics. We prefer National Parks and other options but don’t hate Disney either.
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 3,528 Senior Member
    We took both kids to Disney World twice when older D was there for nationals in her sport. The competition took place in the Wide World of Sports complex (Dont' even know if that still exists). Younger D loves roller coasters and challenged me to get on one. Her comment "Face your fears, Mom!" I got on the roller coaster (Space Mountain?) and was dizzy for the rest of the day. H ended up going on all the rides with the kids. We also went to Sea World on one of the trips. My husband's aunt lived in Winter Park, which is near Orlando and we stayed with her one time and then at a hotel on the property the next time. The last trip we went on was probably 20 years ago--I'm sure it's changed since then.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,641 Senior Member
    edited May 22
    Good memories! We have been to Disneyland several times, but have never visited Disney World. Twice the trips involved taking one of our nieces who were under 10 at that time, and our kids were already in college or pre-college. It was fun to watch the little ones get all excited about the rides etc. One time it was the first year the California Adventure park was open, and it was not at all decorated for Christmas. Everyone piled into the "old" park, and we got to enjoy the new one without any crowds. Soaring over California is my favorite ride (I did enjoy the Splash Mountain ride in the old park :) ). That was also the year the Electrical parade was exiled to CA park, and we loved watching it three nights in a row. :)
  • Madison85Madison85 Registered User Posts: 10,689 Senior Member
    I like watching the 'Magical Journeys' youtubers who review Disneyland food, snacks, treats, drinks!
  • frazzled1frazzled1 Registered User Posts: 5,782 Senior Member
    edited May 23
    I’d have called myself a Disney lover in the past. We went there on our honeymoon 40 years ago and for our 25th anniversary. We brought our kids 3 times. Today we’ll only return if our grandchildren are going and we’ve been invited to tag along.

It used to seem that Disney gave you as much as it could for your vacation dollar; today it seems as if they give you as little as they can get away with, while still getting you to go for a Disney vacation. The fast pass and restaurant reservations made 6 months in advance are major turnoffs to us.

The nail in the coffin was the daily security check policy. If you’re staying in a Disney hotel at Disney World, a cast member will inspect your room daily. This might be a housekeeper, a maintenance worker, or someone else; it might be done while you’re out of the room or when you’re there. The door signs now say “Room Occupied,” which is not at all the same thing as “Do Not Disturb.” The policy has been implemented like many policies at Disney: inconsistently and subject to individual interpretation. That’s a “nope” for us.