Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are you a Disney lover?

1235»

Replies to: Are you a Disney lover?

• mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,736 Senior Member
    edited May 23
    Not quite love, but really enjoy the Disney experience. Disneyland once (stayed at the hotel in the park and was amazed at being online for the Dumbo ride at 6:30 in the morning when my youngest was 2). That was my first time to any Disney park.

Have been to WDW twice. For me, I like rides but not big scary ones so the rides at Disney (vs Universal or Six Flags) are just my speed. I can go on anything and enjoy. I would love to go back, but my kids have outgrown it. Between avoiding the busiest times, fast pass and timing, we really didn't wait too long for anything or skipped those rides with huge lines.

Universal in LA twice and FL once. Kids love that much better with the big rides and we all liked the HP world, but I sat around waiting while they rode the scary stuff.

Most of our vacations are focused on outdoor activities, which we love, but have loved the trips to Disney and other theme parks.
  • mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,736 Senior Member
    re: #60 I hadn't heard about the room check policy, but that is not limited to Disney. Apparently, after the Vegas shooting many hotels in Vegas and other highly populated areas have done more frequent checks. Hilton hotels have also adopted this policy (although not sure it is enforced at every hotel). The Vegas shooter had the DND sign up for three straight days.

It wouldn't really bother me, as we mostly opt for service anyway (why not enjoy someone else making the bed for a change!!).
  • frazzled1frazzled1 Registered User Posts: 5,782 Senior Member
    edited May 23
    On vacation, I always opt for housekeeping too, @mom2and, and the housekeeper almost always does our room while we’re out. If our room hasn’t been done by the time we return, and if we want to nap, work, or veg out, I put the “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door and tidy the room myself. And we’ve never been disturbed at a Hilton or Marriott.

Because Disney hotels are so enormous, it’s difficult for housekeeping to get to each room by the time guests want to return for an afternoon rest. This is when many, though not all, problems with the new policy occur. You may not wish to be disturbed, but if the room check hasn’t been done yet, you will be. Some hotels permit you to schedule the room check (which would seem to defeat the security aspect); some don’t. Some cast members attempt to do room checks without unduly disturbing guests; some don’t. Source: the disboards’ Disney resorts forum, particularly the “guest experiences with daily room checks” thread. That’s some entertaining reading, btw.

Some folks think the room checks are a great idea, and some think Disney is such a great experience that they’re willing to put up with them. We aren’t those folks any longer, but lots of people are.
  • deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 5,694 Senior Member
    edited May 23
    I love Disney, but haven’t been back for 20 years. We took the kids a couple of times but as I’ve mentioned before my H is not good at taking time off. He’s not interested in going back and there are lots of other places both of us would enjoy going. My kids have both been as adults and I hope that one day I’ll be able to go again.

I would happily give up my privacy and allow Disney to check my room. I have nothing to hide. To say any more would violate TOS so I won’t.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 5,577 Senior Member
    I have nothing to hide, but there are times H and I pretend we're married when we're in hotels - even in the middle of the day. Someone making a spot check might see us when we aren't hiding anything and that would be incredibly annoying.
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,673 Senior Member
    I went to Disneyland with my mom when I was in my 20s and we were visiting friends in CA. Didn't do the rides, though. When my D was little, it just wasn't in the budget ... and TBH, the idea of being with oodles of other people's little kids waiting in long lines didn't inspire me! LOL

My D still reminds me from time to time that she was deprived of a childhood Disney experience. Flash forward, she is currently on an overnight bus from London to Paris with some friends, and what is she most looking forward to? You guessed it... EuroDisney. (I'm rolling my eyes...)
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,677 Senior Member
    Once whe kids were young...and once was enough,
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    edited May 24
    I have not stayed at any hotels who insist on entering your room if you have a do not disturb sign or other indication that you don’t want housekeeping. I would not want the latter, though after the Vegas shooting I guess I can understand the concern.

We just left DALLAS. We were there from Friday through Thursday and only wanted housekeeping one day. We have nothing to hide but prefer not having anyone coming in and possibly tossing something we want to keep, tripping over our medical equipment, vacuuming or spraying cleaner everywhere which could trigger our allergies.

Having nothing to hide is not the same as not wanting anyone to disturb anything.
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 3,398 Senior Member
    It is very expensive but I really did appreciate the cleanliness and upkeep.
  • atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,658 Senior Member
    Never been. Likely never will. There's something about it that doesn't appeal to me--the crowds, lines, expense, the hype. I think the characters are kinda creepy, tbh. (I know that sounds like sacrilege to Disney fans...) I worked at a big amusement park for 3 summers during college. Though I enjoyed that behind-the-scenes experience, and have taken my kids to amusement parks a few times, we can live without Disney.