Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are you a Disney lover?

CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
The Las Vegas question had me wondering how this destination fares with CC. Do you love it, hate it, or somewhere in between?

We're in between. We've gone a fair number of times over the years (maybe 10?) and we enjoy it, but we certainly don't love it. My kids outgrew it quickly once we started traveling to other places and wondered why anyone would choose it over other places especially for a similar cost. They were in the 10-14 age range at the time. They'll go and be happy if it's on the agenda from someone else's choice, but they won't pick it as a destination on their own.

When we do go, we're resort people with the Polynesian being our favorite. We're not terribly fond of the latest "update" of the place though.

Replies to: Are you a Disney lover?

• ClassicMom98ClassicMom98 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    edited May 20
    We are amusement park junkies, but Disney is too $$$ for us to do often. We saved for 10 years to go. But part of that was that when we did go, I didn’t want to worry about costs and being cheap. We had a lot of fun and stayed at the wilderness lodge. My kids were 9&6 at the time.

But while Disney was fun, I do prefer the roller coasters over anything else, and Disney doesn’t have a lot of the big rides. And it hit me recently that I may have ridden my last coaster for the last time. I don’t see us getting to a park as a family this summer and once S16 gets a real job, it might be even tougher. My H gets nauseous on rides now, so he wouldn’t want to go with just me. And by the time grandkids come along and get old enough, I might be too old! This is bumming me out. :(
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 3,398 Senior Member
    I've been a couple of times but only one family time when the boys were almost 7, almost 10 and almost 14. I thought it was great fun. Even better, we got to see a Space Shuttle launch while we were down there. But no, I'm not a super fan. Like a guy I worked with. They went at least twice a year forever. I mean, they never went anywhere else. And there is sooooooooooooo much else to see!
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    One visit to Disneyland was enough, as you know from our Las Vegas thread. We discovered from early on that, instead of places that cost money to visit and enjoy, my kids loved being outdoors in nature. We went camping at every chance during school breaks. Simple activities like hiking and soaking in hot springs were where we derived greatest pleasures from. Enjoying activities in nature hardly costs, yet such immersion has rejuvenating and nurturing powers. As my kids got older and their school years increasingly intense and stressful, these outdoors activities became a sustaining source of energy and vitality and healing. Nature is cheap yet abundant in resources.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 13,136 Senior Member
    I went to Disneyland on a cross country trip the year after I had aged out of camp and parents needed something for me to do while they moved to another state. Didn’t care for it at 13 and felt the same way when I took my S, when he was 5 to DisneyWorld. We just aren’t fans of places like Disney or amusement parks in general.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,901 Senior Member
    I love DW. Want to go back with little kids.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,773 Senior Member
    Another destination that I don't ever want to do again. Too crowded, too expensive.
  • conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 4,316 Senior Member
    We LOVED it! Just like LV. As a matter of fact, the first time there with the kids (8 and 11), I rank as one of my favorite vacations ever. The sheer joy of the kids, enjoying it all together....it was just a magical trip. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge, which was pretty cool. Neither DH and I had been. We were both surprised at how much we enjoyed it. We are early birds and always did the EMH, then back to the hotel in the afternoon.
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    edited May 20
    And the McDonalds inside Disneyland ONLY sold french fries. What kind of McDonalds is that?!? That was around 2004. The following days we purchased Gimbap (Korean sushi rolls) from a nearby market before getting inside Disneyland. There were lots of envious gazes as we were enjoying our lunch in miserably hot summer midday.... :smiley:
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,831 Senior Member
    My daughter loves it. She did the college internship as a college sophomore, and went back this spring after graduating, expecting to stay 6 months. Her boyfriend hated it and so she quit after 6 weeks. Even she found it very expensive and the guests are no longer the happiest people on earth. When you are paying $150 a day for tickets, you get grumpy if you are waiting in line all day.

If you can go on a Tuesday in September, it's great. A Saturday in March? Not so great.
  • yourmommayourmomma Registered User Posts: 1,304 Senior Member
    Disney is great. They do it up right. Sure it's expensive but you can't fret about the cost and ruin your time there. First time we went with the kid, his favorite part was the busses. Go figure. Could have done that at at home. :)
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,265 Super Moderator
    We went when our kids were 8, 11, and 14. We enjoyed it, but wow, was it expensive. I hope to go one more time, with grandkids (if I ever have any!).
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,527 Senior Member
    Not Disney people. Not amusement park people. Two of my three really didn't like rides at all. The third only came to like them as he was an older teen.

One year we thought about doing Disney because I felt like "well, we should do it once". One stop at AAA to price things out and that was enough to say forget it. I don't think our kids regret not going at all.

We have Cedar Point an hour away (I know, it's not the same, but the ride concept) - I took them once when they were younger and that was enough for them.

I did always think however that every American family should have the opportunity to be able to afford Disney once if they wanted to go. My idea was that the government or something should make one trip there affordable. Clearly no one thought my idea was a good one. ;)

I have two friends that are Disney nuts. They both go a few times a year - and we are in Ohio. It's an obsession that I totally can't understand! One of them has no grandchildren but still tries to go as often as possible and in fact bought a year pass this year.
  • MarilynMarilyn Registered User Posts: 3,661 Senior Member
    I went to Disneyland for the first time my freshman year when I did a college Rose Bowl trip. I’ve been to Disneyworld several times, including Epcot the year it opened. It probably been 20 years now; I sort of would like to go back to Disneyland since we live so close but Dh isn’t interested and it’s soooo expensive.

You can date yourself by describing something special as an E ride.

My two favorite stories...

-When we went back to DW in the 80’s, we had one day left of a multi day pass from about eight years earlier. It was still accepted. Saved a lot of money!

-When DS was about 7, we planned a trip to DW. MIL asked, “Tell me, Marilyn, what is DS going to do in Disneyworld?” She was really confused why we would consider such an odd thing. I didn’t know how to answer - um, have fun? Turns out her one experience in DW was the International part of Epcot - shops and restaurants. That was her entire idea of DW. Mind you, this is the same MIL who once asked, “Tell me, Marilyn, why do you want to go to the Gulf coast of Florida?” Apparently anything other than North Miami Beach was odd.
  • cbl1cbl1 Forum Champion Virginia Tech Posts: 371 Forum Champion
    Disney World - almost annually