Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Walmart sued over displaying homeopathic treatments ..

13»

Replies to: Walmart sued over displaying homeopathic treatments ..

• JustaMomJustaMom Registered User Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    I was using the word “homeopathy” incorrectly. I guess what I should have used instead was ‘naturopathy’ because no, I’ve never had ‘nothing’ water. I have in fact used natural products (at times) vs pharmaceuticals with good success.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 1,130 Senior Member
    edited May 24
    Naturapathic just really means "medical treatments that have not yet gone through any rigorous testing, so they may help you, harm you, or have no effect". Aspirin works, penicillin works, digitalis works. On the other hand, butter on burns is a really bad idea, as is drinking alcohol when sick, or using vinegar to get rid of head lice.

What can I say about people who say that conventional medicine poisons people, yet have no problem with selling "belladonna" as medication, without a warning label? For those who are not familiar with plants, belladona is more commonly and aptly known as "deadly nightshade". Of course, homeopathic "remedies" dilute it so much that it would be difficult to find two molecules of atropine to rub together in one of their bottles, but naturopathic preparations can have enough to seriously harm a person.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/1800-studies-later-scientists-conclude-homeopathy-doesnt-work-180954534/

Oh, I highly recommend Tim Minchin's animated Youtube video "Storm" (a bit NSFW). I'm not sure about linking it, but it will be a top result in a Google query of Tim Minchin Storm Video.
  • MommaJMommaJ Registered User Posts: 5,759 Senior Member
    None of these stores should be selling homeopathic products in ANY section because they are fraudulent and the stores are perpetrating, and profiting from, fraud. Why this nonsense hasn't been cracked down on by state or federal law is beyond me. Must be a powerful lobby out there.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 5,582 Senior Member
    @MommaJ Nutrition Action addresses that for Homeopathy and unregulated supplements (which often don't have in them what they claim to on the label). Yes, it's a powerful lobby coupled with people who use them and don't want gov't interference.

We've mused (in my family and when I bring it up in class) that we're in the wrong business as we could probably make more $$ creating some sort of concoction, making claims about it that appeal to the masses, and selling it. We live on a mostly organic farm. We are right on the edge of a natural creek. We have a pond on our property. We have pretty much all the things folks look for if we word it correctly.

Can't fathom doing it though - no more than we could pick up and sell Pet Rocks. How many folks bought those?

Hmm, if we threw in some "Health Rocks..." ;)
  • sorghumsorghum Registered User Posts: 3,599 Senior Member
    Well, I am in a relevant professional area and would really like to write a popular, beneficial (and profitable) nutrition and diet book. But I am far too rational and modest to make a success of it. The more outrageous and ridiculous your claims, the better the book will sell. The celebrity nutritionist/ celebrity doctor phenomenon, coupled with widespread support for pseudoscience, demonstrates this quite clearly.
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 13,225 Senior Member
    The use of products that are really placebos instead of genuine treatment is an important issue in situations where it's important to treat the underlying disease, not just try to relieve symptoms.

This is why FDA issued a warning about homeopathic asthma remedies a while back: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-warns-consumers-about-potential-health-risks-over-counter-asthma-products-labeled-homeopathic

Asthma is one of the diseases for which it's important to treat the underlying disease, not just the symptoms. You can get in a lot of trouble substituting ineffective treatments for real asthma medicine.
    edited May 24
    @Nrdsb4 I fully agree with you. ;)

I just live with enough stuff (not related to the two supplements, but related to the brain tumor and/or radiation) that I sometimes tell folks in conversation when it comes up that it'd be nice to have a cure - even if it were a placebo effect, I wouldn't care. I'd just be thankful. I get a laugh. Same thing with that post.

Placebos can fix stress induced things, but things that show up on blood tests or MRIs aren't stress caused - not that I know of anyway.

Ironically enough, I had a lady try to convince me I needed to use essential oils today - to fix those brain tumor effects (which affected part of what I could do in school today - hence why I was talking with her). I passed. I can't fathom how anyone thinks EOs could solve anything for me TBH. Maybe those "Health Rocks" could? :)
  • GudmomGudmom Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    @MWolf , I do totally agree that products that are truly homeopathic are ridiculous, in theory and in practice. But these days many products that are NOT dilute ARE still labeled homeopathic, perhaps because there isn’t a certification process. My husband uses Arnica gel all over his back and shoulders every day, and I made fun of him for it, Since it was clearly labeled “homeopathic “.Then I looked at it, and it was actually 6% Arnica,
    and then I tried it on my stiff neck, and surprise, it actually made it feel better. The effect was about the same as taking an Advil. I was surprised. I don’t use it though - because it can raise blood pressure in the same way that NSAIDs can. So that is an actual measurable effect, and it was in the list of “substances that can raise blood pressure “ that I got from my cardio. And it is marketed as homeopathic. Doesn’t matter what the theory of homeopathy is, the reality is that the word is used to market many products, some of which have actual effect, good and bad. My daughter’s ophthalmologist prescribes daily atropine 1% solution for myopia until the eyes stop growing. That is a good use of Belladonna - and the original reason for the name. It dilates the eyes, which was considered quite beautiful. Pretty woman. Bella donna.

@Creekland do NOT get me started on the EO people. The willful ignorance makes me crazy. There is a “mom” economy, where moms participate in various MLM businesses, and in order to be socially included, it is general practice to go to the pampered chef parties, the jewelry parties, the home goods parties, the cosmetics parties, and to order things from the Mom who becomes the go-to in your friend group for that item. I pretty much solidified my outcast status by not only refusing to order from “the oil lady” - despite her pitch about having been a nurse and giving it all up after seeing the suffering inflicted on her father by the medical establishment during his battle with cancer blah blah blah. Seriously, using your DEAD DAD to shill your products?
    My real issue was her ignorance. My daughter had pneumonia twice a year during preschool, and this woman gave me her spiel then said “They are completely natural, not chemicals, you can just rub some peppermint oil on her feet and temples, and put some in a diffuser...” I said they ARE chemicals.
    “No, they are 100% natural” I told her Everything is chemical, and there are 10 natural things growing in my yard right now that will kill you. Essential oils are volatile organic compound, which are chemicals. VOCs DO have effects. Some are BAD. Some are used as paint strippers (orange oil). Peppermint oil contains menthol, and it works in the same way that cough medicine works, by relaxing the muscles in the airways. Which Is BAD for young children, and peppermint oil is not to be used by any route in children under the age of 6, exactly like those cold medicines, because it can cause dangerous respiratory suppression. Especially if the dosage is “rub some on the soles of the feet and temples”.
    She was surprised and refused to believe me, and said that she had used peppermint oil on her children since they were babies. I said, then you are lucky, but you really should know more this stuff before you tell people to use it on their kids”

If you want GOOD information in the use of EOs, you need to look for an aromatherapist. They are quite powerful and do have effects, but because they are powerful, it’s important to know how to use them safely.
    Wow, that was a rant. Sorry folks.
    There's definitely a lot of misinformation out there. Med school lad is with us today and caught up with nephew via text regarding a headache he had last time they talked. The verdict?

"The doc said he had a virus and gave him 10 days of antibiotics for it."

I suspect med school lad's blood pressure went up considerably. With discussion we're hoping it's nephew who did a word exchange vs a doctor giving antibiotics for a virus. Even then the lad says they aren't supposed to offer antibiotics for something that isn't lingering long enough to warrant them.
  • dragonmomdragonmom Registered User Posts: 5,984 Senior Member
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35133922-educated

Tara Westover’s memoir talks about helping her mother make homeopathic “medicines”. The parents now run a huge company making and marketing essential oils. It’s frightening how poorly some people understand chemistry.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,411 Senior Member
    edited May 28
    I think the mormon MLM culture isn't even about the product, it is about the obligations of relationships, so I don't think chemistry is even relevant. If you can MLM religion successfully, you can MLM ANYTHING. I think that is different from buying into snake oils.