right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Another travel question road trip Washington state

Replies to: Another travel question road trip Washington state

• oregon101oregon101 5497 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    WE love the downtown Kimpton. Often stay at the Silvercloud on Lake Union.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14029 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Prices keep increasing and availability decreasing so do it today. I'm getting Expedia emails about price increases on booked things. Some options also sold out. More than a month versus three or so weeks makes a difference.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7838 replies504 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @wis75 thanks for the push. I booked the plane tickets yesterday and I’m glad I did as the availability on the outbound non stop was getting low. Now on to the car and ferry reservations.
    · Reply · Share
  • zipyourlipszipyourlips 1404 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 1
    A relative stayed at the Halcyon Suite du Jour in Queen Anne, a charming historic Seattle neighborhood that's great for walking. It has a terrific view from the private patio. Convenient free on-street parking just steps away, easy access to downtown, and on a bus line. Bed and Breakfast category, but it's a single suite with a private entrance. The suite and host were lovely. https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/the-halcyon-suite-du-jour.html#tab-main
    edited July 1
    · Reply · Share
    @zipyourlips thanks for recommendation but they are booked for my dates. Leaning towards the Mayflower as it has best price for the dates and the rooms have a tub.
    Has anyone took the boat on Lake Chelan and stayed overnight in Stehekin?
    As of now car rental prices are cheapest through Costco. It’s a pretty hefty premium to pick up car in Seattle and return at airport even with three less days.
    · Reply · Share
  • txtwinstxtwins 11 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    @mom60 just got back from Seattle. Stayed at the Mayflower. Great location. Monorail right there. We went without car while in the city. Then rented from Hertz. They sent an Uber to pick us up and their drop off fee for the airport was about $30.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks I will check Hertz
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14029 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "Joining" places like Expedia et al gives better hotel and car rental prices than not being a member. We discovered prices for desired flights were the same through those sites and the airline- but booking through them gave car/hotel discounts. Currently guilty of double booking a car (size/agency) and two hotels because if we do/don't like the one untried we will change phase three of the trip. Hertz directly can be so much more expensive for the same car rental terms.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 3
    We also have used Hertz picking up in the Seattle. We love Hertz--as Gold members we get many upgrades, free carseats, free 2nd driver....and they are much less likely to zing you for a scratch than many of the others. We have found MANY times that calling them and reserving lends to more discounts. The websites never give us quite the same.
    edited July 3
    · Reply · Share
    I’ve appreciated all the great advice. Just a few more questions.
    I have two days between Lopez Island and Chelan. I’m considering two options unless you can suggest something else.
    Option 1-Considering two nights in Mazama. I don’t know if it is going to be to long in the Cascades as I have two nights in Chelan and a night in Stehekin. Another concern is my knee is not where I need it to be in order to do a lot of hiking.
    Option 2 going to another island after Lopez for two nights. If we bring our car to Lopez I can’t seem to be able to find out how to get a ferry reservation from Lopez to another island. The online booking only allows Anacortes to Lopez. If we don’t bring the car I figure it would be easy enough to get on a ferry to another island but that leaves us with no car on the 2nd island. I think if we went to Orcas we would need a car. Would we need a car on San Juan Island?
    Question 2- I have a free night after Stehekin. We would take the boat back and drive somewhere back towards the airport. I have a reservation at the airport for our last night. Our timing isn’t going to work to see my friend in Gig harbor. Any suggestions as to where to go that 2nd to last night and what to see that last full day. We will have already spent three nights in Seattle at the beginning of the trip.
    Hope this post isn’t confusing. I appreciate any feedback.
    · Reply · Share
  • swimmermom2swimmermom2 62 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited July 20
    I am a little confused as to how many days you need to fill up but here are a couple of thoughts. Although Mazama is different from Chelan there is not much to do if you aren’t hiking, fly fishing, rafting or some other outdoors activity. It’s a beautiful area - higher elevation than Chelan with lots of Aspen trees and a cooler climate, and it’s also the gateway to the North Cascades National Park. The Park is unlike most national parks in that you don’t drive into the park and within in. It is less developed so that what you see will be experienced from the main east-west road, Route 20.

As for the San Juan Islands, you would need a car on Orcas Island as the ferry terminal is far from town. You don’t need a car to visit San Juan Island but not sure how many hours you would want to spend in the small town of Friday Harbor where the ferry terminal is located. Look through Trip Advisor to see if there are some other options that appeal to you, such as a whaling tour, that you can take from Friday Harbor.

I am not sure why you would go from Stehekin to the airport area and then back up to Lopez Island? This is where I got confused. Also, is it possible to take a day trip to SJ Island and return to Lopez for another night?
    edited July 20
    · Reply · Share
    Sorry for the confusion.
    3 nights in Seattle
    1 night in Mt Rainier NP
    4 nights with friends in Lopez
    2 undecided nights
    2 nights Chelan
    1 night Stehekin
    1 undecided night
    1 night near airport
    Fly home early AM
    We have been to Orcas island previously and stayed on the island but it was 20 years ago. We chartered a boat about 8 years and cruised the San Juan’s but spent time mainly on the water. We have been whale watching so that is not something we are interested in.
    I was really hoping to do a lot of hiking this trip but after my recent visit to my orthopedist it’s not going to happen. I figure I’m good for a few miles without a lot of big step ups.
    · Reply · Share
    I guess at this point it may be best for you to visit TripAdvisor and look at googlemaps to figure out how to fill in the time. I think you have a great trip planned, but everyone has different ideas of how to spend their vacation.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 21
    Think about Salt Spring Island which is part of the Gulf islands. Ask your Lopez friends. Artist island.
    Twisp near Chelan is also known as an artist/crafts place.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
    I don’t remember the OP saying they were interested in the arts. I think that is what makes these online forums challenging. We don’t really know where the interests lie.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 21
    Yes, get that. The "arts" here means people doing their own thing. Nothing close to formal. stalls, shops and tents. Local life and food. Beautiful scenery.
    We adore the Gulf islands--took S at 8 and D at 12 and went to many--7 ferries. Best trip! Friends lived near Chelan so when we visited we went to Twisp and is was so much fun that I still, now in old age, remember it.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
    @oregon101 I appreciate your suggestions. I had forgotten about the gulf islands. We have never been to any of them but my MIL has spent a lot of time exploring them via boat and she loved them.
    We like art, food, culture, the outdoors, water both lakes and ocean. I love cities, my H tolerates them. My H is in excellent physical shape, I’m good except for the knee. We have enjoyed many different types and of holidays.
    Trip advisor is helpful but over the years on this forum I’ve received excellent travel advice. Unfortunately as the number of posters decrease with each update the number of responses has declined.
    · Reply · Share
    After you leave Lopez, look at heading south through Whidbey Island. Highlights are Fort Casey, Ebey’s Landing, Coupeville, and Langley. There are some nice places to stay near Coupeville and Langley. At the southern end of the island is the Clinton Ferry which places you about a 30 minute drive into Seattle.
    · Reply · Share
    We are all set.
    Any favorite food spots in Seattle? Our only restriction is no shellfish.
    Also @BunsenBurner any shopping recommendations?
    We also want to pick something up to bring to our friends on Lopez. Any favorite items from Seattle? If a food item needs to be able to last several days as we are going to Mt Rainier after Seattle.
    I’m looking forward to getting away.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38739 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There is a store in Westlake Center called Made in Washington. You might be able to find something there! The area around Westlake is a shopper's paradise. If you want a giant mall experience, drive or take a bus across the lake to Bellevue. Bellsquare is doing very well for a mall.

Eating downtown... lots of choices. We just had a nice meal at Loulay Kitchen (French-inspired American food by a local chef who trademarked the name Chef In The Hat). Dahlia Lounge (Tom Douglas) is quite good. For a quick Thai-inspired meal, try Wild Ginger. Purple Cafe has a great wine list in addition to great food. Both Purple and Wild Ginger are good for lunch, too. If you would like a dinner with a view of the downtown, Pallisade, Salty's, or Ivar's Salmon House near UW (our favorite) have fabulous views. We also like Seastar and Anthony's. There are some good steakhouses downtown but I am not a fan of their prices. :)
    · Reply · Share