right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What are some of your funny, family allusions?? How did they come about?

Replies to: What are some of your funny, family allusions?? How did they come about?

• one+twoone+two 108 replies6 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I know we have a bunch of these but of course I can't think of others now. Except one nonsense phrase that became our family's "safe phrase" when the kids were younger. But I also use that phrase as a password so I won't share it here. The one that comes to mind is that on vacation one year we stopped in Boone, NC on 4th of July and went to see the town fireworks. There was a kid near us who started asking practically from the first firework "is this the grand finale?" He then repeated the question about every 5 seconds. It went from annoying us to cracking us up. So needless to say anytime we're watching fireworks we immediately ask "is this the grand finale?"
    · Reply · Share
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3239 replies223 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I LOVE this thread! LOL. Our first son mispronounced so many words when he started speaking and we still use some of them. Crazy isn't it? He's 39 years old.
    Hook was "huckle"
    Pizza was "ee-pa"
    Virginia was "ja-rin-va"
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34097 replies389 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Once we had with our D when we were coordinating on a trip was “The eagle has landed, when our plane landed.” D responded “The egg is in the nest,” to indicate she was safely back home. She had no idea “Eagle has landed” was a famous phrase. Sometimes we use those phrases with each other.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6641 replies41 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    A relative gave D a CD called Philadelphia Chickens when she was a preschooler. She adored it and insisted it be played whenever we were in the car.

Our entire family starts singing “Cows, they’re remarkable cows,” every time we see a cow. Every single time. Sometimes when just referencing a cow.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34097 replies389 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 2
    Deer/Bear/Horse/Cow is something we said when we saw anything on a road trip that we thought might be a live animal.

We had been going on a very prolonged road trip from LA to Vegas, to North Rim of Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Petrified Forest, Sedona, Mesa Verde and south Rim of Grand Canyon, then back to LA.

We wanted to point out the great wildlife along the trip (tho sadly there wasn’t much). Whomever saw what they thought was an animal would inevitably say, “Wow—there’s a deer....bear...,horse....no guess a cow”’ it got shortened to the above.
    edited June 2
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 2637 replies54 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    When I was a teenager, my grandmother, who didn't hear well, was having dinner with us. I don't remember what we were talking about, but she piped up with, "What's the matter with his feet?" Now whenever someone clearly misunderstands the conversation we say, "What's the matter with his feet?"
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 572 replies1 postsRegistered User Member
    Someone mentioned rocks on the Bag A Week thread, and that reminded me: DS2 loves rocks, and loved them more as a little. He would bring the really ugly ones home. DS1 once said "Our family is special because our rocks have feelings." It actually says a lot . . .
    · Reply · Share
  • zoosermomzoosermom 25663 replies594 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    When my D1 was younger, she once tripped over her words and said "I have no dog in that pony" to mean she had no opinion on that particular issue. We all now say it and it's evolved to "do you want to have pizza or Chinese food? I have no dog." Which is even more ridiculous because we have a dog who is the love of my husband's life, which he tells everyone as soon as they meet.

When people are rude or overbearing, we refer to them as having been raised by wolves by saying "Oh, I think he knows the Wolfs."
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 5992 replies187 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    So I am reading through this thread and I'm thinking how cool some of these family "traditions" are, and we don't have anything like that.... and then I remembered... many years ago we were at an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant called The Pasta Connection, and we marveled at the large number of supersized people at the restaurant. From that day forward, if we wanted to discreetly take note of an oversized person we will say "pasta connection". sorry folks.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2892 replies12 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We had a million of them at work — when I worked in hospitality.

Boy, some of my coworkers were so clever and hilarious. We could really make each other laugh with our war stories & inside jokes.
    · Reply · Share
  • LVKrisLVKris 539 replies6 postsRegistered User Member
    After a long day of doing toddler things, my then three year old son announced that he needed to go to bed because he was “all out of power”. To this day, anyone who is tired is all out of power
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5183 replies237 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    dad limited us to entrees only to keep the bill lower

That reminds me that, after the menus were passed around, my dad always said, “I’m just having water. What are you just having?” For years, my brother and I only scanned the prices on any menu for the lowest cost item, whatever it was. We never ordered anything to drink, just water.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5183 replies237 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 3
    All right. I’m going to tell this story about something we used to say all the time, but had to stop rather abruptly.

Once, when I went to pick up DS from our church preschool, the youth pastor’s wife (one of the teachers) came to the door, slipped her arm round me, and started to walk me away from the classroom asking softly, “Did you lose a child?” Astonished and clueless as to where this question came from, I said, “No! Why?” She said, “Oh, I know <DS> is your only child, but several times now he as referred to his ‘other brother,’ so I thought perhaps you had lost a child previously. I’m so glad to hear that’s not the case.” I was mortified as I understood instantly where that came from. Whenever DS did something that could be dangerous like putting his hand near the fire or just something we didn’t want him to do, we often said jokingly, “Stop that. You know what happened to your other brother...”. One day he asked us just how many other brothers he had, to which I replied, “I lost count after ten. You’ve lasted the longest, though.” The worst part of the story was that the pastor’s wife and her husband HAD lost a child and she was reaching out to me compassionately. We never used that phrase again. :(
    edited June 3
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 4981 replies50 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    We live in a house with radiators covered with wooden covers, which are dubbed heatiators officially.

My kids played string instruments as children, and their favorite insult was to call someone an "f hole" which is the actual name for that squiggly opening on the top of a violin/viola/cello/bass where the sound comes out.

And because their elementary school was on the other side of what passes for a mountain in our state, driving back and forth several times a day gave me "carpool tunnel syndrome."
    · Reply · Share