right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What are some of your funny, family allusions?? How did they come about?

Replies to: What are some of your funny, family allusions?? How did they come about?

• Midwest67Midwest67 2892 replies12 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @redslp

THANK YOU!

I’m laughing so hard.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5114 replies73 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 4
    We have a mythical “Farkle family” that’s well known around my house. Not sure how it started.

If I leave a mess, or something left outside, needs a bit of repair or cluttered.

What are we, the “Farkle Family” ?

usually means a little neatening up is required. Or the house needs painting. lol.

I hope there’s no real Farkle’s out there. I’m sure they are very tidy.
    edited June 4
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38586 replies465 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    A very recent one... after the relatively recent spy poisoning events in the U.K., Mr. and I refer to spoiled food and similarly questionable things as "novichok." For instance, referring to a forgotten Tupperware container with moldy leftowers. "Does it look like novichok to you?" "Ewwww. It certainly does. Toss it!"
    · Reply · Share
  • bjscheelbjscheel 491 replies5 postsRegistered User Member
    A super useful phrase from Meet the Robinsons is "I'm not sure how well this plan was thought through." Especially helpful when trying to stay cheerful during home improvement projects.

Helicopters are "holidoctors" courtesy of our oldest as a toddler.

If we want to come up with a big number, it's Fifty-five Ninety which apparently was the biggest number our youngest could think of and used fairly often.

I'm sure there are more I can't think of at the moment. Some things have come and gone, usually something funny DD'17 comes up with and we pick up on it for a while.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6625 replies40 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Mine thought that priceless meant things were free. Price. Less.

We still exclaim "It's free" when something is ridiculously high priced.
    · Reply · Share
  • one+twoone+two 108 replies6 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Reading these reminded me of another one. And I'm sure there will be more. One time one S, who had been honored for something at school shortly before, did or said something dumb and the other turned to him and said "Didn't you win a smart award?" So now any dumb question or action is followed by questioning the validity of that person having received a smart award.
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 3859 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @momofsenior1 I do think priceless things are free. Not all, but most...
    · Reply · Share
  • rhododendronrhododendron 316 replies17 postsRegistered User Member
    When we can't find a price on something my family says it's "Free today."
    · Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4633 replies41 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    So many of of them-- lots of movie quotes. One of our favorite family movies is Pee Wee's Big Adventure (probably not well-known on CC...) Oldest S and I have it memorized and can find a quote for just about any situation.

About 50 years ago on a family trip we passed the Susquehanna River. My oldest brother (who was so precocious and bossy that we 6 younger sibs jokingly called him "Dad"), tried to read the sign and proudly announced "There's the Suskatuwanna River, kids!" --the word "Suskatuwanna" comes up when someone mispronounces a big word.

"Cut it off!" My parents used to say this when kids whined/complained about minor aches and pains. ("Mom, my foot hurts! " "Cut it off!"--Mean, I know, but funny in the right situation.)

Whenever things weren't weren't divided equally among my sibs, we had a saying to stop the squabbling: "You take what you get--and YOU LIKE IT!" --Said like a drill sergeant, it usually made everyone laugh at the concept of being ordered to like an undesirable situation, or sarcastically start pretending that the short end of the stick/small portion was the best/what they really wanted all along.

We are the family that always "eats like the Allens."
    A neighbor--who had, years before, been outbid when trying to buy the house we lived in--was picking up his 7yo daughter from a playdate. He walked in, saying excitedly, "I want to see what you've done with the house!" Before he even finished that sentence, as he looked around, I could see the disappointment on his face. And his daughter piped up, "They didn't do nothing--just junked it up!" We still use that phrase, "Junked it up," for our messy/family-of-9 way lifestyle. A few years ago I started using a similar expression from the TV show The Middle--"Heck/ed it up"-- replacing their name, "Heck," with our last name.
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7776 replies23 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our family can find a song to fit any occasion or experience good or bad. My D announced long ago that we live in a musical.
    “It’s SHOWTIME!” with jazz hands is a fave.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6625 replies40 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 6
    Us too @gouf78 - And if we can't find a song to fit, we change the lyrics ; )
    edited June 6
    · Reply · Share