right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What are some of your funny, family allusions?? How did they come about?

12346»

Replies to: What are some of your funny, family allusions?? How did they come about?

• privatebankerprivatebanker 5127 replies74 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Is that near Bat$&/; Crazytown?
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34102 replies389 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Ah yes, and was it a "shortcut" or "longcut" that got us lost? We have definitely gotten lost in some unlikely places.
    · Reply · Share
  • HotCanaryHotCanary 550 replies15 postsRegistered User Member
    @privatebanker They are in the same county.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5127 replies74 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    😂
    · Reply · Share
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 4109 replies29 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our family is crazy for a large list of movie and TV lines.

One for my husband and I is "just like Brown county." When we moved to Indiana to go to grad school anyone who met us and learned that we were from New England would seem to tell us how much we needed to visit Brown county for the foliage, drives, itchy tourist village, etc. with the claim that it was just like New England. No offense to anyone from Brown county, but after that anytime we were in beautiful New England scenery we would say, "just like Brown county!"
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4475 replies177 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @LVKris, this has nothing to do with this thread, but I have to share. We were in Gatlinberg, Tennessee and were looking to have pancakes. We stopped at a restaurant, and I asked if their pancakes were served with real maple syrup. The lady said “it must be real, they make it in the kitchen.” We moved on to the next place. That place didn’t have real maple syrup, and the raspberries they brought me were some kind of compote, and certainly not fresh.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34102 replies389 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    This reminds me of when we were in France and wanted crepes for dessert. We asked the restaurant if the crepes were fresh and they indignantly said, of course. We ordered it and they ran across the street with a bowl covered by a napkin to get the crepe (at another restaurant).

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Back to the thread.
    · Reply · Share
  • GoatGirl19GoatGirl19 301 replies4 postsRegistered User Member
    I’m a student but I can’t help but reply because my family have too many of these to count. Here are a few of the movie references that come to mind:
    “We are moving! We are moving!”—Trading Places (every time a train or bus or plane that has been sitting, starts to move)
    “They’re digging in the wrong place!”—Raiders of the Lost Ark (my bf and I when we notice someone doing something stupid with a great deal of confidence)
    “Autowash…”—The Fifth Element (when something happens with an electronic that you don’t expect, or when you are unexpectedly splashed with water)
    “A toast! To toast, I love toast”—The Producers (1968)
    · Reply · Share
  • csshsmcsshsm 211 replies52 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Many years ago a friend who was a second wife was bemoaning the fact that her husband’s first wife had ruined their Sunday by calling to demand that he “get over there and put up the Christmas tree.” Now whenever we have to face doing something we really don’t want to do, but that someone else is demanding, we say that we have to go put up the Christmas tree.
    One time I was cleaning out the back of my SUV when I discovered a handwritten list made by my sweet, easygoing middle child that assigned unfavorable epithets to the other 4 family members. I can’t remember what she called me, but she called her father a “Starbuck Donkey”. Apparently that was her rendition of stubborn donkey. For years if dad misbehaved, we pointed out to him that he was being a Starbuck Donkey.
    · Reply · Share
  • sherpasherpa 4730 replies93 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Years ago our family sometimes ate ramen noodles. It was always the same brand, Sapporo Ichiban. To this day, if one of us would like their back scratched, they'll turn and say/ask: Sapporo itchy back?
    · Reply · Share
  • LuckyCharms913LuckyCharms913 1020 replies15 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    About ten years ago, right around St. Patrick's Day, we had lunch out with both sets of grandparents after one kid's Confirmation. We had a big meal at an Italian restaurant, much more food than we'd usually eat at that time of day; so when the waitress asked if we'd like dessert, everyone said no, thank you.

While we're waiting for the check, my mother reaches under the table into her giant Mary Poppins-type handbag and pulls out a tin of homemade Irish potatoes (for those who aren't familiar, it's a creamy cinnamon candy, not actually a vegetable) to pass around the table. I was appalled, saying, "Mom, you can't bring outside food in here! Plus, we just said we were too full for dessert!' She was totally unperturbed, saying, "I'm sure they won't mind. It's not like they serve Irish potatoes in an Italian restaurant."

So now when we're out to eat and the server asks if anyone wants to order dessert, one of us is bound to say, "No, but I sure wish we had some Irish potatoes."
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 2998 replies45 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    This is my new favorite thread on CC. I find it endearing to see how similar we all are with the family inside jokes.

And “eating baby Jesus” still has me in stitches.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1295 replies8 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 19
    We call snow peas "snoopies". Many years ago, when I was doing my master's, I was sitting a listening to a senior researcher in my field from Scotland. He was talking about his time in the field in Canada, and speaking of the large flocks of "snookies". They were evidently large white migratory birds who flew north and south in enormous flocks. It took me almost an hour to realize that he was talking about snow geese. I told the story to my wife (then girlfriend), and "snoopies" were born the next stir fry that was made.

BTW, no criticism of the lovely Scots accent - there is not an accent that I do not like, from Canada to The Deep South or across the UK, India, Africa, or anywhere. None that I find objectionable, and none which sounds dumb to me. Possibly because I have a weird speech issue which ensures that I cannot speak any language without an accent, including both the languages in which I am fluent....
    edited June 19
    · Reply · Share