right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Travel wardrobe planning help, please

HoggirlHoggirl 1579 replies193 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
edited June 9 in Parent Cafe
We are headed to CA. Three nights in Santa Monica followed by three nights in Carlsbad. I’m trying to be streamlined and do a capsule wardrobe in black and white.

How many and what assortment of clothing items would you take for this duration of a trip? I know my challenge - I like dressier things, but I don’t know if I will have an occasion to wear them. We are checking (flying Southwest), so I don’t have to be super efficient, but I want to be. In particular, I have some fun, skinny, silver coated (not super shiny, but shiny-ish), ankle jeans and a cute silk peasant top I’d like to take, but idk if I will wear them??? No real plans on where we are dining or anything. Not visiting “dressy” people.

I know it sounds silly, but also I’m worried I’ll be chilly - even during the day. We are in Florida, and it’s going to be appreciably colder in CA than it has been here lately. I have a black, linen, Tommy Bahamas jean-style jacket. Is that going to be enough? I also have a white denim jacket, but it only has 3/4 sleeves. I also have a jersey, long sleeve, black jacket. Am I going to freeze if I try to wear sleeveless tops during the day?? I have black ankle pants, and black cargo-looking capris with silver zippers I am taking. I have a reversible skirt (black and white print on one side and solid black on the other), but I really am worried about being cold! I have a lightweight, pewter-colored rain coat, but it’s not going to rain - will that look dumb?

Please advise! Thanks!

Edit: here are the jeans -

https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/midrise+metallic+skinny+ankle+jeans/570260681?color=930&catId=cat210023

And here is the top:

https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/jacquard+offtheshoulder+blouse/570261483?color=191&catId=cat210001

I really like this outfit together, but I’m not going to get a lot of traction/mix and match use out of either of these pieces.
edited June 9
35 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Travel wardrobe planning help, please

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38410 replies465 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,875 Senior Member
    Your 3/4 sleeves white denim jacket sounds perfect.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 18862 replies847 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 19,709 Senior Member
    I agree - leave the black one at home - bring the 3/4 white one!

Where would you wear those shiny jeans at home? Are you going to be going someplace like that in CA? If not, they are so specialized a piece I'd leave them at home.

I think pack for layers a bit. Even throw in one pullover fleece or similar for casual evening outings.

Add a LITTLE color to the black and white !!!
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8483 replies47 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,530 Senior Member
    edited June 9
    I like your clothes :) I vote you bring the raincoat just in case.

I pack really light. All black wardrobe. Two months with 10 garments or less in a carryon. But always make room for lightweight black raincoat and a tissue weight wool shawl just in case. Both roll up small enough to fit in my largish handbag. So many times I've been so very happy to have those pieces with me. The coat blocks wind. The shawl is warm. I worry about cold, too.

Have fun.

eta

After being rerouted once while flying from one warm place to another warm place, and ending up grounded in blizzard conditions, I always pack something that works in a pinch for freezing temps. But I do also worry a lot unnecessarily.
    edited June 9
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1579 replies193 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    @abasket - I would wear them out to dinner to a nicer restaurant when dining out with friends. I have no idea where we are going. Visiting ds whose only advice is, “everything is casual.” But, to me there are different levels of casual. I don’t want to look like a tourist. I don’t want to look like a hayseed - lol. Florida is incredibly casual! Beach bum style everywhere. I have in my head (likely making it up) that California is a bit more sophisticated. I want to be cute!

Had not considered a fleece at all! Ack! I don’t have anything like that that is “cute.”

And, I had planned to take both the black linen jacket AND the white denim jacket. Hmmm. I was going to wear one of them on the plane. I do have a black or silver wrap I could take. Or a leopard print one, but most of my outfits already have some print element in them already.

· Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1579 replies193 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    I usually tell myself (and traveling friends), “Half the clothes and twice the money.” Struggling with that concept for this trip for some reason.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 18862 replies847 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 19,709 Senior Member
    Re: the fleece or pull over type 1/4 zip or something....well, that is ME. I wouldn't travel without one or two - because it's a grab go-to. Like a nice Patagonia or something.

The black wrap would be a good compromise to leaving the black jacket at home.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33945 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,332 Senior Member
    I like having my Patagonia hoodie sweatshirt fleece. Having a nice wrap that goes with everything is nice too. With A/C, it can be balmy indoors, depending on settings.
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7773 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,796 Senior Member
    You’ve got the room since you’re checking. Come see me when you fly Alligiant with everything in your “personal item” LOL.
    I’m becoming pretty good at it.

My travel garb is one pair of black pants, a sweater or jacket depending on weather (but not both) that I’ll wear on the plane and for everything else, a non wrinkle dress that I roll up for dinner dress up, my most comfortable walking flats or sandals that go with pants and dress. Then I add About 3 tops to dress up or down. All non wrinkle that I can safely stuff.
    Travel day wear remains the same on both ends of the trip. Wear your heaviest shoes.

Take your shiny jeans and wear them!! Bring them and enjoy even if for a “less formal” occasion. I’ve got a pair I bought in Vegas that I love. No where to wear them much but they make me happy!

· Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4086 replies298 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,384 Senior Member
    You will be so happy you took those shiny jeans! I always get dressed up at night in Santa Monica! You’ll be glad you took them. When are you going? I’d also throw in a couple items that are not black and white to break it up. I overpack when I go to California and check my bag, I never regret it.
    · Reply · Share
    @conmama - Thursday!
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2051 replies87 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,138 Senior Member
    With temperatures in the 60’s at night I would not be happy with a 3/4 sleeve jacket. I like the idea of a jean jacket but personally find linen doesn’t travel well.

don’t feel like CA is where you want to concentrate on black / white but here’s what I’d pack for six nights if I were I

One pair cropped jeans in white

One pair lightweight full leangth black jeans

2 pairs black leggings. They take up no room and are great during travel.

1 pair silver jeans

1 travel friendly black dress

1 full sleeve blue jean jacket .

4 casual shirts to add a pop of color. Keep them lightweight and they won’t take up much room

2 black dressy shirts. Yours plus this kind of thing https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/pleatdetail+shell/570261471?color=001&catId=cat210001

1 cardigan like this https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/niczoe-four-way-cardigan-regular-petite/3843300?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home/All Results&color=black onyx

1 lightweight rain coat

· Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 13892 replies62 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,954 Senior Member
    Now in Florida, have been to LA/Orange counties numerous times. Frankly, I don't think it matters how fashionable you are. Your son doesn't care and the rest are strangers. You will see it all. Who cares if you look like a tourist? Again, they are strangers. Casual there is as casual in Florida. Can't resist adding that in Seattle they are even more casual... Don't obsess about what you wear. Be sure to have a warm sweater/jacket for cool nights. Check the weather for the time you will be there just before you go and add/subtract for heat, rain, cold.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33945 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,332 Senior Member
    edited June 10
    I go to LA and SF and San Diego with some regularity. Wear what makes you happy and feel beautiful. You will be fine! Folks wear everything, everywhere! Normally, I wear one pair of slacks and pack one or sometimes two. That’s it. It works fine. I try sticking with no wrinkle knits for a more carefree time. I bring an assortment of tops and some jacket(s) and a wrap. Less is better.
    edited June 10
    · Reply · Share
    @HImom - I am a huge fan of knits!

Thanks, everyone, for the help! I think I have it figured out. And, I will incorporate a bit of red into my selections!
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6178 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,213 Senior Member
    Layers!
    · Reply · Share