right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Ideas of Retirement Moves vs Extended Vacations to Explore various regions of the U.S.

Replies to: Ideas of Retirement Moves vs Extended Vacations to Explore various regions of the U.S.

• greenwitchgreenwitch 8707 replies41 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My BIL's parents became snowbirds and did it with their friends. Several couples bought small houses in Florida, walkable to each other (and about 1 1/2 hours from BIL), while they were still working part time just before retirement. The plan was to be snowbirds for a few years and then transition to the new house.

It worked for them and they had an instant community of old friends.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3707 replies16 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 15
    @rickle1. Be careful about appreciation
    If looking abroad many places do not appreciate like they do here in the States.

My kids are both in college and we like being semi empty nesters honestly. I have been reading expat sites just for fun and to dream a bit. One was saying property in Italy is very affordable but when you take over an apartment they usually take their "kitchen" with them. I kinda found this funny and interesting......

Also some places you can work or start a business easily and some you can't

FYI - South East Asia is really inexpensive and beautiful. Great place just to check out and again great food and very inexpensive.
    edited June 15
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1817 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^ just thinking about the US actually. Will do more traditional trips overseas.

Live in FL. Both kids will likely be up north somewhere. Initial thought was, once we know where they'll be, sell and move up north (From the NE originally so I know all about the weather, locations, etc.). Then started thinking, we love our friends so will probably want to visit. Maybe live winter down here, etc. So then started considering downsizing here so we have a condo or something to always return to. Then started thinking, condo here and there. Then started thinking AirBNB for three months or so, etc. We'll see. Just contemplating things at this point.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33111 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The idea, to me, is that in 3-4 weeks, you can integrate a bit. There's a human thing I've noticed that, a few repeat visits to a shop or cafe, over time, and they recognize you. A bit, enough that you're neither total strangers nor tourists. For us, a little more homey than having a guidebook glued to your hand.

An RV trip is on my bucket list, but I wouldn't just hang at the park or visit tourist spots.
    · Reply · Share
    ^ yes get to know the local pubs and golf courses, hiking trails, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • cypresspatcypresspat 241 replies7 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @rickle1 agreed, Airbnb-type services, and people growing very comfortable with the notion, is a game-changer also as a property owner. Our neighbor owns this giant, expensive (ugh, the taxes alone!) home. He is a widow and lives alone. He is in it 3 months a year (summer) and he rents in Florida the whole time. I asked him why he didn’t rent the house out (EASY to do so for medical fellows or visiting professors) while he is gone and looked very puzzled. ‘I would do that if I knew how to find a tenant!’ ‘Ummmmmmm.....let me show you my fancy new phone, Steve.’
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33111 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Or get a RE agent who vets potential tenants.

A friend has a summer home near a big U. Students rent during the academic year and she has it all summer.

But you need to check tax laws about how much owner occupancy is needed.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20618 replies209 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Also local laws re: renting out one's home. Some municipalities are pushing back on the whole short term vacation rental craze and either restricting or limiting it. Charleston is one example.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/charleston-now-uses-software-to-find-short-term-rental-violations/article_6ad8bb20-1428-11e9-be47-83cf1c4bff30.html
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34100 replies389 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    For folks who are of plan to rent their homes, also check insurance. You will likely need a different policy if you’re renting vs living there and likely premiums are higher for landlords.

H just can’t stand the idea of strangers pawing thru our things and I’m not fond of the idea either.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3554 replies35 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My cousin and her husband retired in their mid-50s (she was a special ed teacher and he was an appellate court judge). Both received generous pensions as state employees. They sold their home in the suburbs and got a small condo in the city, which is their home base. When they are away, their kids rent it out on AirB&B. It is in a prime location.

They travel most of the year (long cruises or tours or they rent a place for 4-5 months). They spend Thanksgiving to New Year with their kids and then take off. For the last few years, they have done 6 months in Australia or New Zealand and traveled in that area, going to lots of interesting places (Fiji and Bali). Their kids usually visit them if they are staying somewhere long-term. Now they have a grandchild, so they are thinking they may spend next winter in Key West. I think their generous pensions and Air B&B rentals are how they fund their adventures. Also, having their kids handle the AirB&B rental is great—kids get half the rental $$.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8707 replies41 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    What do they do for health care coverage?
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34100 replies389 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’m assuming folks who rent their places out don’t have any items of value or sentimental that they are concerned others may touch, break, steal?
    · Reply · Share
  • 88jm1988jm19 783 replies17 postsRegistered User Member
    This is a wonderful thread. It’s nice to read about so many people considering their options and planning for the future. In my opinion, self-awareness and communicating with your spouse is crucial. My DH and I...in our 50s/both retired/youngest just graduated...through talking with friends have figured out that we would not be good candidates for the stress of maintaining a second home. So we have opted with staying in place for now and the near future. (yeah...it’s always about the 5 year plan, lol)

We are taking a couple of longer trips (~3 weeks each) per year....with one being Europe (for now) and the other Hawaii. They each serve a different purpose for us. Europe in the Fall (usually late September or the month of October) is where we have been exploring different cities/countries. If we are in a location with lots to do...like Rome, Paris, etc we’ve found we like at least 5 days there, before moving on to the next destination. Hawaii is for escaping the cold in Feb./March and outdoor activities. We like to rent a condo and linger. It seems to be a “thing” with others as well. ;)

Like others have mentioned we have a dog (yeah, no more after this one for a while) and feel this (two 3 week trips) is a good rhythm for us now. Our kids DD17/DS19 work in Chicago and we’re in a Chicago suburb so we will wait and see how their work and personal lives evolve over the next 5 years.

Downsizing isn’t something we are considering right now, but we’ve talked about it. If we were to do it we would probably stay in our area. We love our social circle and the near-by amenities. We have a 4 bedroom home that of course is technically too large for us, but it’s paid off and the taxes are fine. It’s nice when our kids want to visit that they can spend the night.

In our opinion we have a “transitional down-sizing window”, where if we think it makes sense, we’ll do it. Our “window” begins when we’re in our 60s and ends when we turn 70....though we do realize things can change. In our opinion it doesn’t make sense to wait and then make 2 moves (downsizing, then senior living) close together, IF you can avoid it. We’ve witnessed our parents and older friends who resisted the ‘senior living’ move, so we are going to try and be proactive about it...emphasis on “try”. ;) The variability in care/amenities in senior communities can be striking.

In the meantime we will start to purge “stuff” and focus on exercise and hobbies. Travel will increase when we don’t have a dog. We’ve talked about month-long extended stays in different cities and it was nice to see others are planning to do the same. Boston, Seattle, San Diego, NYC, DC will be on our list.
    · Reply · Share
    "I’m assuming folks who rent their places out don’t have any items of value or sentimental that they are concerned others may touch, break, steal?"

You can move them. Many folks I know do move sentimental, expensive, or irreplaceable items and lock them up in a storage room or someplace. A bit of a nuisance but for my family member I mentioned above, it's worth it as they rent their home for over $600 per night.

You can also insure it. A few home rentals we've done have required paying an insurance fee of around $75-100 which pays for a policy for the homeowner. Or they require a good sized, refundable deposit.
    · Reply · Share
    At every vrbo we've stayed in, it wasn't like spending the night as a houseguest, amidst all your friend's belongings. If they rent to strangers but also use the place (a beach cottage, say,) they have a few cabinets with what they need, when there. Or one of the closets is strongly locked. They don't leave valuables.

If it's your home, you don't leave your stuff out. Not jewelery, cameras, etc, you move your own underwear out of the drawers. Lol, I'm not paying to look at that or be responsible for treasures left out. If this were super high end and they left the Ming vase, precious artwork, etc, you bet I'd be willing to pay for short term insurance.
    · Reply · Share
  • downtoearthdowntoearth 3377 replies19 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    This is a great thread with lots of ideas. H and I were out to dinner discussing this. We are just worn out. We would probably end up close to at least one child. I have always wanted to live in a college town to take classes too. We have a second home and would spend time there. But it would need renovation. We talk about going and staying somewhere in Europe for a month. We are working and planning for this now and plan after the girls get married to put a retirement plan in action.
    · Reply · Share
    It really is amazing to think how things have changed so quickly. I have to remind my self that airBNB is a thing and a viable option even when we just go somewhere for a few days (vs. traditional generic hotel). I have a friend who travels on business a lot. Unless it's just not practical, he stays in airBNBs on a regular basis. He recently had a business trip in Boston for three days. Rather then get the normal hotel downtown, he rented an apartment (airBNB) over a family run restaurant in the north end. Rather than the hotel in room coffee pot, he had all the quaint italian coffee shops and bakeries within a block. What a great idea. You don't get all the normal amenities, but you get a lot of flavor.
    · Reply · Share
    Airbnb didn't invent the concept, though, except for maybe it's original format which was more aligned with renting a room or a bed in a house in which the owners are present, more similar to a bed and breakfast, hence the name.

We've been renting houses and apartments for over 25 years when vacationing, from smaller sites and bigger ones like VRBO and Homeaway which are now owned by the same company. We've rented dozens of places and all have been great with the exception of 2 or 3 which were still serviceable but didn't live up to expectations. Better success rate than hotels we've stayed at.
    · Reply · Share
  • yucca10yucca10 1218 replies36 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    You can also rent apartments now on booking.com. We've just returned from Croatia where we stayed in apartments in several cities, from one to several night, and it was great. We had two bedroom apartments with kitchens, some of them downright luxurious, for very reasonable prices.
    · Reply · Share
    So far, no bad experiences here, either, including vrbo in London and Paris. (And Maine.) A friend rents this way for a 5-6 week annual stay in either Tuscany or Sicily. (Her places are big and stately, though, and she recruits enough friends to come share the extra rooms/costs for a week or longer. She and her DH stayed at several agrotourism places in Italy. (A BnB on a farm.) DH stayed as the only guest in a place in Edinburgh where the folks lived there, invited him to their daily break for sherry.
    · Reply · Share