right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Ideas of Retirement Moves vs Extended Vacations to Explore various regions of the U.S.

Replies to: Ideas of Retirement Moves vs Extended Vacations to Explore various regions of the U.S.

• Bromfield2Bromfield2 3548 replies35 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @greenwitch Don't know what my cousin and her husband do for health care coverage. They are both 65 now. Medicare?? I will have to ask her and report back.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20603 replies209 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Home/apartment rentals on tripadvisor as well. Everyone is trying to get into the game. Even hotel chains are doing so. https://news.marriott.com/2019/04/marriott-international-launches-home-rentals-in-over-100-markets/
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38582 replies465 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our new to us house used to be an airbnb rental... the neighbors sighed relief when we bought the place. No more epic parties that rocked the 'hood all night long. :)

You would be surprised what you are paying for with your $800 a night! Rat crap in walls and in the attic. Master bedroom wall about to fall out... rotted siding covering rotted wall studs. 😂 Took us a while to fix all of that - no, we don't rent this place, but we welcome dinner guests.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 13916 replies62 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Medicare itself will not cover out of country- you need to get a supplement that does. The older we get the more likely we will need medical care. The time to do things is early retirement- before age catches up with you (more- it already has- none of us is 20, 30 or even 40 any more).

Anyone else care about the libraries where they will live? Other considerations need to be politics and religion. It is easier to find friends when the pool of people who think like you do on many fronts is larger.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33093 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Lol, where longer term travel is concerned, political views or the dominant religion are not part of my decisions. I don't think I can name some ofthe areas I wouldn't go, for risk of offending someone or other. But it's not based on those factors. You can miss a lot in life, if not open. Or able to focus on the commonalities, rather than the differences.
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1813 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes we've been renting vacation houses on VRBO for years. Estes Park, Jackson Hole, Glacier, ME + NY lakes, Tahoe, Boone, Asheville. For us, so much more fun to have big family meals (multiple families sometimes) and then relax on the porch with a good bottle. Never had a bad house. Always something a bit quirky but that's part of the fun. The advertised pictures have been quite accurate.

These are all in vacation spots and are typical vacation rentals. What's interesting to me is recently, perhaps because of AirBNB's growing popularity, the increasing presence of properties available in the regular suburbs or cities for short stays.

Three HS buddies came to visit and stayed in a AirBNB townhome right around the corner. Just a regular neighborhood in a regular town, not a vacation spot. Was much better for hanging out.

The hotels will have to adjust their business models as they will ultimately attract a different type of traveler. I know one (I think it's Marriott) has taken the plunge and is competing in the AirBNB space with alternative properties. Still very high end but they're paying attention.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55099 replies2859 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Just chatted with a friend who has several rental properties (not airBNB). HE sold one in an area that is now near a stadium and many of the townhomes int he complex are now being used as air BNBs. One disgruntled neighbor reported this to the county, who is reportedly looking into changing regulations so they can get their tourism tax (or whatever it is that hotels pay). Lots of lost revenue to the county, apparently.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8699 replies41 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Bromfield2 - I was wondering what they did for health insurance in their mid-50s when they retired. That is an expensive age to go it alone!
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1813 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^ although it's still very expensive, you can purchase individual health insurance through the exchanges without any pre existing condition issues (in my opinion, the primary benefit of "Obamacare" - the rest not so good at least in our experience, had much better coverage for far less prior). In reality, in many states you could have already done that as they have guarantee issue laws pertaining to small businesses (form an LLC and you're in).

It's a math problem. Can you afford to go alone when you include the extra healthcare costs? Finding coverage isn't the problem. Paying for it could be.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3671 replies16 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    If the insurance question is for going abroad, many places Healthcare is actually affordable. But definitely something to check out.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 13916 replies62 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 16
    Basing a decision on politics and religion is not a matter of offending others. You could say it is a matter of being constantly offended. It is living (not just visiting an area) in an area where you are excluded because you don't participate in the dominant lifestyle. Places that church dominates the social life and your views are heretical and you can't be comfortable expressing them. Likewise a heavily Republican/Democratic or conservative/liberal area where you do not find many like minded people. People who live in areas where they fit in often do not realize there are places they would not have the social ties they do. For most mainstream Americans it is not an issue because they are the mainstream. For those of us who do not fit in it is an issue. It is wonderful to find others who believe as you do.
    edited June 16
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1449 replies16 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I've always been intrigued by the idea of working or volunteering in a National Park over the summer. For example quite often we've found the campground hosts are a retired couple who are spending the summer there.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33093 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @wis75 I said I would not name some places I have zero interest in. My concern is not to offend some posters.

I'm fascinated by commonalities more than worried *I* wouldn't fit in. But, eg, a heavy golf area, where people live and breathe it? Not. Lol.
    · Reply · Share
  • deb922deb922 5584 replies187 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 17
  • mom2andmom2and 2792 replies19 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 17
    Great thread! Not quite there yet, but current plan is to stay in our home (even in our high tax NE state) and travel. I want to see a lot of places, so having a second home is not that appealing at the moment. People in our state do that to avoid paying income taxes, but not sure that the cost of the second home would really offset the taxes (at least for us). I like the access we have to NYC, the beach, and other ares, as well as having friends and family nearby. I would like to see where my kids end up (and hopefully one of them will have children) before we decide to move. When we get old old (hopefully, we will make it to that point!), I want to live near at least one of my kids.

Traveling and staying in one place or renting an RV and traveling, are definitely on my list. Winter trips to warmer places and traveling in Europe and all over the US. So many places to see and things to experience!

At some point we may look to downsize to a 55+ community. I never thought I would say that, but seems to be the best way to get a reasonably priced house and be able to develop community.
    edited June 17
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7772 replies502 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have no desire to leave my present location. We could downsize in house size but I doubt we will. We have settled into a routine of mainly just using half the house unless we have guests. We love our location and have a few of our kids in town plus our business. I also wouldn’t want to leave my friends. I haven’t noticed many friends or neighbors in my present city leaving the state for lower cost places. I have noticed via FB that several HS friends have moved out of Ca for retirement. I think it is economic as my city of origin was less affluent and those that stayed can make their money go further out of state.
    I would like to start to spend more time traveling. I just need to get motivated to plan and schedule. My H is still working but has the flexibility for us to travel more and for longer periods of time. We just need to do it.
    I have several friends who have done month long apartment stays in European cities and plan to do it once a year in different countries. I also have a friend who just bought a house in Portugal. He is not planning on a base back in the states but his fiancé wants to keep her house in Ca and rent it out when she isn’t here. Have a relative who owns a bungalow in Costa Rica. When she bought she lived in it for a year. She found it wasn’t ideal and now rents it out long term.
    · Reply · Share
  • rockymtnhigh2rockymtnhigh2 224 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited June 17
    It depends where you are in life. When I worked, I was required to plan 18 months in advance. Who knows what the kids are doing in 18 months in high school, college, etc? That was bad.

Now that I am retired, I find it easier for us to just plan our big travel early on in the year to encompass the whole year. European trip, reunions, etc that are fixed time periods. I just make the flights, housing etc. Motivation is cost of flights choices and cost of housing and choices. We use Air B&B especially if it is an extended stay in Europe. Getting that done feels less burdensome. I add additional fun trips later like camping and visits to D1 and D2 after I ask them about time periods.
    edited June 17
    · Reply · Share
  • MarilynMarilyn 3663 replies124 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    About 10 years ago, we got back from a lovely winter vacation from Chicagoland to Fort Lauderdale. We had hit a sleet blizzard coming back through Indiana then woke up to a ton of snow. I had an epiphany - I didn't have to live with winter for the rest of my life. It took me quite a while to convince DH we should move, then another five years to plan and effectuate it. We had to wait for DS to start college, DH to retire, and MIL to pass away (she lived to 97 - didn't live near us but DH frequently traveled there to help her out.). We had a few friends but no real social life, which is one of the reasons I wanted to move.

My job was to research the country and find potential relocation targets. We took advantage of various vacations and other family trips to look around some of the areas. In such cases, I would contact a local Realtor ahead of time and they would would show us some of the neighborhoods and housing that fit our budget and needs. DH wanted a SFH with a yard, no condos or townhouses or retirement communities.

We did one trial "live in a different city" test early on in the process - planned a month in Naples Florida in winter (we didn't want to move to Florida permanently but had often vacationed there). That turned into 2 1/2 weeks thanks to DH getting a kidney stone the night before we were supposed to leave. But it gave us the opportunity to see how we could adjust to everyday life in a completely new location.

When we were finalizing our choices, we spent one month each in two different VRBO houses in the San Diego area. We spent a lot of time getting to know the area and neighborhoods and housing stock. We made contact with a local Realtor who helped us decide where to rent and stuck with us for three more years until we were ready to move.
    After that trial, we knew we would like living there.

Next post discusses our criteria for where to relocate.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3548 replies35 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I like the idea of aging in place. We are happy with both our permanent residence and vacation place. Right now we have a caretaker for our vacation place, which takes away some work and worries. The only thing I would change is to go to a warmer spot for January and February,
    · Reply · Share