right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Are you an Empath???

oregon101oregon101 5425 replies135 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,560 Senior Member
https://drjudithorloff.com/quizzes/empath-self-assessment-test/

Would like to have a discussion about being an Empath--anyone??
37 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Are you an Empath???

• ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5167 replies236 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,403 Senior Member
    No (not an empath).
    · Reply · Share
  • HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch 2447 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,478 Senior Member
    Her list seems to have a lot in common with the Introvert areas on the Meyers-Briggs graph.

@oregon101, are you also an ISFP, maybe? Or somewhere in the I-section? Kind of an INFJ, here. :smile:
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54953 replies2852 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,805 Senior Member
    Not a fan of “questionnaires” without even face value.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5392 replies79 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,471 Senior Member
    Aside from all of the phony baloney research I am an empath. It’s why I cry at commercials and reading books. I absorb the feelings of others. I own a medical business and had to stop being the one going into the hospitals because just walking through er or trauma would be too upsetting to me.
    Others may scoff at the notion that it’s not a real thing, but I can tell you exhausting feeling everyone’s emotions.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 531 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 531 Member
    I hit 12 yes answers but wouldn't classify myself as an empath. Even though I'm very aware of the emotional state of others and can respond fluently, I'm too good at detaching myself from them to consider myself very empathic.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33975 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,362 Senior Member
    My D is an empath, no question in our minds. In preschool, from age 3 she’d come home every day and debrief by telling us how each kid in her class felt and why. She is extremely accurate at pegging feelings and undercurrents and always has been.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5425 replies135 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,560 Senior Member
    edited June 25
    Thank You eyemamon and HouseChatte. I appreciate your responses.
    I simply would like to discuss with those of us who have an interest in her list as a constellation of behaviors/emotions how it manifests in our personal lives.
    I would have titled my thread, "what do you think of this author" if I had desired to discuss her credentials.
    HouseChatte, consider yourself lucky. eyemamon I think you are related to me and it is exhausting especially when there is no understanding of what is going on and how to manage experiences that you alone are having.
    edited June 25
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5392 replies79 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,471 Senior Member
    Oregon - do you find yourself hiding from people? Right now my sister is going through a rough time, I have to have her text me to tell me first if she’s crying or not because I can’t always handle that. People call it sensitive or introverted.
    Funny thing I do - when watching sports I will feel awful for the losers. I follow college sports, and when a kid does well I always feel so happy for the mom.
    How do you deal with the overflow of emotions?
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1580 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,610 Senior Member
    How can you tell if you are an empath or just projecting?
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 5977 replies187 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,164 Senior Member
    I am definitely an empath, or a sociopath. It varies. Most people would answer "yes" to some of those questions. I especially like this one: "Do I need a long time to recuperate after being with difficult people or energy vampires?"
    YES! Those energy vampires just suck the life out of me!
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5425 replies135 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,560 Senior Member
    edited June 25
    If you do a quick on line search you will discover that this is not something brand new.
    Orloff has books on how to manage energy.
    I am an introvert who present socially as an extravert. crazy, right?
    Many who register a high score are also extremely intuitive and need to understand this.
    NJres, isn't that what being misunderstood makes us feel like? as if we are
    so odd when in fact we were born with what is considered a blessing AND a curse.
    eyemamon, I worry your sister is very depressed but no harm in asking her some of the empath questions. Now that I have finally have a framework about how I walk in the world I don't need to hide. I have much better coping skills but I did drop many friends because they caused me distress. Now I know why.
    Sadly, Narcissists are drawn to empaths. And yes, NJres, they do. There are a number of books on this and many empaths marry narcs. No, I did not marry a narc but I did marry an atypical.
    edited June 25
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13175 replies83 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,258 Senior Member
    I got a 12, and I'm the furthest thing in the world from being an empath. Not only do I not feel other people's feelings, I misread people often. But I am an introvert, and I think many introverts would score high on this questionnaire.
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 386 Member
    I got a 6 so I have moderate empathic tenedencies.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33975 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,362 Senior Member
    When I answered the quiz for D, she would score around a 12, I believe. I agree that some of the Qs are not good at separating introverts from empaths. For me, I got 6 yes answers but do not believe I’m an empath.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16733 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,889 Senior Member
    I think there is definitely a kind of emotional intelligence which includes the ability to read situations, body language, facial expressions, vocal tone, eye contact, etc., that can make some people more intuitive about other peoples' feelings.
    But to assume that one always knows what others are feeling is a little much, imo.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18333 replies323 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,656 Senior Member
    Not everyone eats when they're under stress. Myself, for example. I generally stop eating if it's a really huge amount of stress.
    I thought the questionnaire was kind of dumb.
    · Reply · Share
  • Leigh22Leigh22 634 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 643 Member
    I am an introvert and an empath. I have always had “emotional intelligence “ as described above, which can be a blessing and a curse.
    · Reply · Share
  • rphcfbrphcfb 228 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    I answered Yes on only question # 9. I don’t think I am an unempathetic person. I consider myself sensible but not very sensitive.
    · Reply · Share