right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Dream Retirement

MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 threads Member
What is your dream retirement home? Is it a house by the lake or a cabin in the woods? Maybe it's a mansion overlooking the sea? What city or country would you want your dream retirement home to be?

For me, my dream retirement home would be a large home but not big enough to count as a mansion. I'd say something along 5000-7000 square feet with around 6 beds and 4 baths. I would want it be near the ocean but not right next to it. As for location, I would want to stay in the US and would pick something along the California coast that is still close enough to a big city.
61 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Dream Retirement

• VeryHappyVeryHappy 19008 replies336 threads Senior Member
    Since we're dreaming, can we assume money is no object to keep up the house? In that case, I'd go with a 2500-sq-ft house right by the ocean.
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8620 replies252 threads Senior Member
    We are exploring different options. The idea to live on a cruise ship for part of the year has come to mind. We do love California and stay here probably is the best for now.
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8620 replies252 threads Senior Member
    ^^^^
    You don’t say, I have heard that “Scotty, beam me up” maybe true in not too distance future.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 1289 replies2 threads Senior Member
    Ditto city apartment. Groceries, transit, medical care, library, rec trails, a park nearby. Walking distance to riverfront or lakefront. Old building, fantastic wood detail, enormous windows, high ceilings, plaster walls, steam radiators and a fireplace or two, subway tile in the bath. Small enough building that my unit would have daylight front and back -- end unit since I'm dreaming, or the entire floor to ourselves. Terrace / balcony. Pet friendly.

Fun thread -- makes me want to go shopping!
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 5398 replies198 threads Senior Member
    I’m thinking it would be nice to have one reasonably sized place in a safe walkable city with lots of activities including restaurants and places to bike and walk on paths (maybe Santa Fe or Somewhere around Denver) and another at a place close to the beach and mountains. San Diego comes to mind, or Cannon Beach Oregon, or the coast of Mainenear Acadia National Park.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10448 replies124 threads Senior Member
    High rise condo with a killer view in Chicago and plenty of $ for travel. Would love to summer in Scotland.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5811 replies271 threads Senior Member
    A lighthouse on a bluff in Maine, far from the madding crowd.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 42336 replies2285 threads Super Moderator
    @ChoatieMom, that might be hard to find, these days.
    · Reply · Share
    @ChoatieMom we rented a place up in Lubec a couple of summers. Maybe the lighthouse is hard to come by, but the area is fantastic!
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 threads Member
    @ChoatieMom I agree with your choice. I'd much prefer somewhere quiet and peaceful for retirement compared to a crowded and loud city. Yet, I wouldn't want to be in a fully remote location so I would want something just in the outskirts of town.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2019
    I don’t have that life because DH couldn’t handle it. God forbid he go before I do, but maybe then...

If you’ve read/seen “The Light Between Oceans,” that’s what I’m thinking.
    edited June 2019
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2019
    High rise condo with a killer view in Chicago...

DH and I lived on the 30th floor of a brand new high rise on Michigan Avenue with an unobstructed view of the lake right after we were married. He loves city life. Sigh. Clearly, I don’t.
    edited June 2019
    · Reply · Share
    Omigosh I forgot the museums! I would like The Cloisters to be moved a couple of blocks near wherever I retire, please.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2019
    Yes @lookingforward, I read a similar link from another thread. Excellent info! I’m from Michigan. The Tawas light is very interesting to me... Now to hypnotize ChoatieDad...
    edited June 2019
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity