right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Dream Retirement

MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 386 Member
What is your dream retirement home? Is it a house by the lake or a cabin in the woods? Maybe it's a mansion overlooking the sea? What city or country would you want your dream retirement home to be?

For me, my dream retirement home would be a large home but not big enough to count as a mansion. I'd say something along 5000-7000 square feet with around 6 beds and 4 baths. I would want it be near the ocean but not right next to it. As for location, I would want to stay in the US and would pick something along the California coast that is still close enough to a big city.
57 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Dream Retirement

• VeryHappyVeryHappy 18334 replies323 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    Since we're dreaming, can we assume money is no object to keep up the house? In that case, I'd go with a 2500-sq-ft house right by the ocean.
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8483 replies245 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,728 Senior Member
    We are exploring different options. The idea to live on a cruise ship for part of the year has come to mind. We do love California and stay here probably is the best for now.
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8483 replies245 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,728 Senior Member
    ^^^^
    You don’t say, I have heard that “Scotty, beam me up” maybe true in not too distance future.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 531 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 531 Member
    Ditto city apartment. Groceries, transit, medical care, library, rec trails, a park nearby. Walking distance to riverfront or lakefront. Old building, fantastic wood detail, enormous windows, high ceilings, plaster walls, steam radiators and a fireplace or two, subway tile in the bath. Small enough building that my unit would have daylight front and back -- end unit since I'm dreaming, or the entire floor to ourselves. Terrace / balcony. Pet friendly.

Fun thread -- makes me want to go shopping!
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4448 replies176 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,624 Senior Member
    I’m thinking it would be nice to have one reasonably sized place in a safe walkable city with lots of activities including restaurants and places to bike and walk on paths (maybe Santa Fe or Somewhere around Denver) and another at a place close to the beach and mountains. San Diego comes to mind, or Cannon Beach Oregon, or the coast of Mainenear Acadia National Park.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6282 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,317 Senior Member
    High rise condo with a killer view in Chicago and plenty of $ for travel. Would love to summer in Scotland.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5168 replies236 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,404 Senior Member
    A lighthouse on a bluff in Maine, far from the madding crowd.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37561 replies2049 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 39,610 Super Moderator
    @ChoatieMom, that might be hard to find, these days.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 531 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 531 Member
    @ChoatieMom we rented a place up in Lubec a couple of summers. Maybe the lighthouse is hard to come by, but the area is fantastic!
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 386 Member
    @ChoatieMom I agree with your choice. I'd much prefer somewhere quiet and peaceful for retirement compared to a crowded and loud city. Yet, I wouldn't want to be in a fully remote location so I would want something just in the outskirts of town.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5168 replies236 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,404 Senior Member
    edited June 26
    I don’t have that life because DH couldn’t handle it. God forbid he go before I do, but maybe then...

If you’ve read/seen “The Light Between Oceans,” that’s what I’m thinking.
    edited June 26
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 26
    High rise condo with a killer view in Chicago...

DH and I lived on the 30th floor of a brand new high rise on Michigan Avenue with an unobstructed view of the lake right after we were married. He loves city life. Sigh. Clearly, I don’t.
    edited June 26
    · Reply · Share
    Omigosh I forgot the museums! I would like The Cloisters to be moved a couple of blocks near wherever I retire, please.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32795 replies350 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,145 Senior Member
    edited June 26
    Yes @lookingforward, I read a similar link from another thread. Excellent info! I’m from Michigan. The Tawas light is very interesting to me... Now to hypnotize ChoatieDad...
    edited June 26
    · Reply · Share