right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

New thread for Dog Lovers

MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 386 Member
edited June 26 in Parent Cafe
I made a thread for dog lovers after seeing the one for cats.
What breed is your dog? What makes him or her so special in your life? Are there any funny, cute, etc. stories about your dogs that would be fun to read?

I used to have a labrador who was so adorable. She was also extremely nice. She would never want to hurt anyone. After she died, I never have gotten a dog since. It just feels too painful to raise a dog and see it pass away especially if you grew up with it.

PS: What are some of your favorite dog movies?
Mine is My Dog Skip.
edited June 26
71 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: New thread for Dog Lovers

• wis75wis75 13892 replies62 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,954 Senior Member
    Shih Tzu long gone. His social IQ was 1000 and his obedience IQ- on a good day- was 50. We did the downsize-move OOS retirement thing since his death and while I would love another shih Tzu now is not the time. Perhaps if/when H is gone and I don't live in hot FL or want to travel.
    · Reply · Share
  • tx5athometx5athome 3852 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,857 Senior Member
    I grew up with bulldogs, but when I was 16 I bought myself a black lab when I got my first job. We are on our fourth lab. I can't even imagine life without a dog. Henry is 8 and the sweetest thing ever. Henry LOVES water. He can sniff out a mud puddle and will roll in it if given a chance.
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1288 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,298 Senior Member
    Any cavachon owners here? Love my baby girl, full of personality, loves, loves people, she thinks she is one of us, definitely! The most adorable pup out there! I am not biased 😋
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1045 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    We're on our 2nd ShihTzu. First lasted 16 years. Hubby swore no more but I was so heartbroken we had a new one within a few months! This guy is a rescue, and he is a nut!! Got him when he was about 2, he's around 7 now. Thank goodness I made the call to not go the puppy route - he has more energy at 7 than our last one did as a puppy!
    He is the snuggliest dog ever - has to be with us if we're home. And yet, anyone outside of the 4 of us come in the house, he barks and barks and barks! He also despises physical contact among humans! If i try to hug one of the kids, he loses his mind!
    He loves my son - it's so sad when he goes back to college! After our early morning walk he gets a bone. All summer long he immediately runs to the stares and takes it up to my son's room. The first week or two after he leaves he runs upstairs then comes right back out and looks down at me totally confused.
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1288 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,298 Senior Member
    @NJWrestlingmom
    So cute!
    Mine will be standing upright at the window whenever we are leaving home. She loves to ride in the car and when we have to leave without her, she will be standing at the window looking at us sadly. Wish there are more public places that welcome dogs.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3kids2dogs3kids2dogs 66 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    My dogs are so important to me, I put them in my user name! Love dogs of all kinds, but love mine the most - two medium sized hound mixes. One is almost 14 (gulp); the other is 4. They are the best. I take them on hour long walks daily and it’s a great way for all three of us to be closer to nature. We walk in off leash areas and I have an entire new circle of friends who walk at the same time. I’m even thinking of starting a business around hiking with dogs. I think so many dogs who are “pests” to their families could really just use a long walk!
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 386 Member
    Does your dog ever go on walks by itself?

My dog used to go on walks by itself around the neighborhood but it had a good sense of direction as it would always come back home when it was done.
    · Reply · Share
  • momocarlymomocarly 821 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 828 Member
    edited June 27
    I have a papillon who is 5 years old. She is my baby. We found her abandoned when she was 3. She does have a bit of a heard murmur I worry about but she has to be at my feet when I am home. I also have a german shepherd/shiba inu mix that is 3. We have had her since she was a puppy. Some friends were going to take the puppies and give them away in a parking lot so we took one. She is dumber than dirt but loving. She was supposed to be my daughter's dog but she can't take care of a pet rock so I am the main caregiver to the dog.
    edited June 27
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1045 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    @momocarly my first tzu had a heart murmur her whole life and lasted 16 years!

(and yes i know - STAIRS, not stares!!! Thought I fixed that before it posted!!!)
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 525 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 525 Member
    @makemesmart never heard of cavachons before, they're adorable!

I have two Briards who are smarter and more self-possessed than I am. 2.5 y.o. big sister is in charge, and 1.25 y.o. younger brother (full siblings) is an adorable goof. @3kids2dogs you are so right about them needing activity; when mine are getting on my nerves, I realize they need to use their bodies, brains, or noses. They always reset after I've given them a chance to do something.

My dogs are wonderful. They give me a chance to be a better person.
    · Reply · Share
  • sabaraysabaray 7015 replies80 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,095 Senior Member
    As an adult, I’ve added five Labradors to my family - not all at once, mind you! Currently have an almost 6 year old and just added a new puppy earlier this month. Keeps us all feeling young and active!
    · Reply · Share
    @MoonKnight
    My babygirl has a bad habit, she thinks cars are fun so we have to keep her on a tight leash when we are outside of our yard.
    @HouseChatte
    I need to google Briard too 😅 they must be very intelligent to come from such an ancient breed . Do you need to have them groomed often?
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 525 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 525 Member
    @makemesmart their groomer is my new bestie! During the transition from puppy to adult coat, once a week is optimal. Little Man stresses out much more than Big Sister does and did, so we decided to just lop off mats to make it go more quickly. This phase will eventually pass, though if I hadn't lived through it already once I'd probably be doubting it.

@MoonKnight my two would love to go out by themselves; they certainly have the confidence for it. We're too near fast roads, coyotes, and barbed wire for me to give them a chance, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5386 replies79 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,465 Senior Member
    I live in a zoo. I have a 1 yo Bernese Mountain Dog Sophie. I absolutely adore her beyond words. She loves to run down our hill and swim several times a day.
    My son is home for a few months and he brought his Corgi with him. Charlotte and Sophie love each other.
    My cousin wanted a bmd and our breeder had a litter. Hubby really wanted two Berners so we now also have a male Berner puppy, Otis. For those counting that’s 3 dogs.
    Otis is the sweetest thing ever. I joke he’d be the offensive lineman on the football team. He also eats like one.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18320 replies322 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,642 Senior Member
    edited June 27
    I have two Australian Sheperds (see my avatar -- there are three there; one has gone to doggie heaven). Archie is the older; he's 12, and he's an angel. He's gotten kind of hard of hearing, so we have to speak LOUDLY to him. Molly is three and is -- ummmm -- still learning the rules. She's become aggressive to other dogs so we have to be careful where we take her. I've given her the nickname of Little Missy Bad Girl. She's quite a handful.
    I don't think I want any more. They severely restrict DH and my ability to travel at the same time. (Molly would not do well being boarded.) DH doesn't agree and is eager to get another once we're down to only one.
    edited June 27
    · Reply · Share
    Love to read everyone’s puppy loves! I didn’t grow up with pets so my girl puppy is my first-ever being a puppy-mom. I am so lucky to have her, I still remember the first moment she was put into my arm, her softness and her total trust in me completely won me over. DH was reluctant initially as he was afraid of adding new responsibilities, but now we “fight” to see who’s puppy’s favorite parent!
    Why dogs only live to teen years?!
    · Reply · Share
    My first dog was our Bernese Mountain Dog. A few months after she died, we met the Briard breeder and some of her dogs to see if we might be good together. DH and I were sitting on the floor of the living area, leaning against the couch. One of the dogs (grandmother to our two) who was on the couch laid her head on my shoulder. DH said he saw that happen and knew that was the moment "if" turned to "when."
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6233 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,268 Senior Member
    We have an 8 year old Coton. I love him to pieces. He is the other baby I couldn’t have and desperately wanted. He’s an absolute love and a snuggler. He follows me everywhere and even sits outside the shower waiting for me. Can’t imagine life without him.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16728 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,884 Senior Member
    Does your dog ever go on walks by itself?
    No, because we have leash laws here and he could end up being picked up by animal control.

I was so devastated when our yellow (white actually) lab died, and I will also feel the same way when we lose our currently 18 y/o cat. We have a 14 year old golden doodle whose health is failing. When he goes, I will be sad, but not to the same degree as I was with our lab. He's been much more challenging to my patience in terms of his constant, shrieking barking at anything that moves, he gets into the trash every chance he gets, etc. I will never have another dog because our lifestyle just doesn't meld with having dogs. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but their needs are plenty, and I'm no longer willing to put in the work/time/effort involved. A dog deserves someone who wants to walk them, who can come home during the day to let them out, who doesn't travel too much, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • sabaraysabaray 7015 replies80 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,095 Senior Member
    I know how you feel about your Lab, @Nrdsb4 - Sabadog died very unexpectedly and rapidly a few months ago at the age of 7. It was just devastating, I felt like I was in a dream, that it couldn't be happening. Then Sabapup (6 yrs old) got sick with some kind of viral/bacterial illness that sent her liver enzymes off the scale and of course, I was convinced she too was dying and it could have gone either way. She spent a week at the hospital (ka-ching! $$$$) but her enzymes are almost normal now. We had planned to bring a new puppy home prior to the hospitalization and our vet really encouraged us to do so. It's been really good for Sabapup to have a friend again.
    I work about 5 minutes from home. My lunch break has always been spent with my two buddies. I work in a fairly high stress environment and that mid-day break really helps me to reset.
    · Reply · Share